PDA

View Full Version : Advice for looking for a pediatrician

PCARN
04-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Ladies- I'm not sure which is the best way to go with regard to finding a pediatrician. I'm looking for someone that's traditional/holistic when it comes to care. I was given a list from my ob/gyn's office and also have a list from my insurance company but didn't want to pick anyone at random.

Anyone from Central NJ?

SnuggleBuggles
04-19-2009, 05:38 PM
If you are more interested in a holistic approach than traditional (not really sure what your definitions are), I would try:
-asking a doula if you are using one
-ask your prenatal exercise or yoga teacher
-visit Mothering.com and search in the location specific boards. You are likely to get a lot of good feedback on peds in your area
-ask parents you see out and about. Maybe the waiting room at your OB/ Gyn office? You'll quickly get a sense of the popular practice. Word of warning- popular doesn't always mean good. I learned that one through experience.

Mine was easy to find when we moved with our toddler. I wanted a solo practice and there were all of 2 on my list from the insurance. One was far away and one was close. I originally decided on a solo practice after a great experience with a solo practice those first few months. My midwife had recommended that practice and it was wonderful.

I recently switched peds based on a recommendation from my newest midwife. Another solo practice and it's great!

Think if there are any things that really matter to you and go and visit a few of the peds (or family practices- they can be great options). Most offer free visits to expectant parents; some even have open house nights. My big things were breastfeeding and vaccines. Newborn care was the other important one. You can narrow things down.

If you can't choose between practices, consider practical issues like the convenience of parking, getting into the building, hours and other details like that.

Beth

PCARN
04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Beth- Thanks for your reply and for your suggestions. Like you, vaccines and breastfeeding are very important. Also, I didn't want to find a pediatrician that's quick to prescribe medication such as antibiotics for what may be a cold. Yet, I don't want a doctor that's totally against medication either that's why I was hoping to find someone that's traditional yet somewhat holistic if there is even such a doctor around. I agree with you w/regard to large groups vs. smaller groups. I would prefer to have a smaller group which I feel would be much more personal. Thank you again.

HIU8
04-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Make out your list of questions and call to set up interviews with the doctors/practices. Some will do individual interviews and some have group open houses scheduled for after hours. We interviewed 5 practices before we settled on the one we were most comfortable with.

PCARN
04-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try to narrow down the list I was given. I was hoping to find a personal recommendation though but I guess if I try to interview a few dr's hopefully I'll find the right one.

misshollygolightly
04-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree--setting up a few interviews (hopefully based on recommendations) is the way to go. You'll quickly get a feel for how comfortable you are with the dr., and you can ask pointed questions about the issues that most concern you. Btw, I don't have any personal experience to support this, but my sense (from several mommy boards I frequent) is that family practice doctors are sometimes a better fit for families who are interested in delayed/selective vaxing, etc. It seems reasonable to me that you might be more likely to find a family practice doc who is more amenable to holistic medicine than a pediatrician might be. Dunno though!

mousemom
05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Btw, I don't have any personal experience to support this, but my sense (from several mommy boards I frequent) is that family practice doctors are sometimes a better fit for families who are interested in delayed/selective vaxing, etc.

Just wanted to agree with this. We went with a family practice doc instead of a pediatrician, after a previous good experience with a different family practice doc (who sadly moved away several months before our son was born). We love our doctor - she always spends at least 45 minutes talking to us during our well-child visits and is never in a rush, she gives us her opinion on which vacs are most important but does not push us to give ones we choose to skip, she helped when we were having latching problems at the beginning, she's in no rush to prescribe medications although she will discuss the options, and we like that the whole family can see the same doctor. Good luck finding a doctor you like!