View Full Version : Delivery Options--Any Advice?

04-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Twin A is vertex and Twin B is breech. My doctor won't deliver a breech twin vaginally, but she is willing to try to turn Twin B after Twin A is born. If Twin B doesn't turn vertex, then I will have to have a c-section for Twin B. I don't know whether to try for a vaginal birth and risk having a c-section for Twin B or whether I should just plan a c-section. My question is does anyone have any idea of the odds for Twin B to be turned vertex after Twin A is born?

04-20-2009, 01:18 PM
I am by no means an expert, but if I were in your position I would try for a vaginal birth for both babies. I guess my biggest question for the OB would be what are the risks of birthing a breech twin after the first one has "paved the way" so to speak compared to the risks of having a ceserean section (for this birth and any subsequent pregnancies/births). It seems to me that most OBs opt not to do breeches, VBACS etc due to thier malpractice insurance requirements, maybe this is the case in your situation. Talk with her, but if you want to have a vaginal birth, you should try!

Best Wishes for a safe and healthy delivery!

04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Singleton mom here but if you have the possibility of vaginal birth, I'd start with that. Seems both options are setting you up for a section.

FWIW, my SIL's baby A was a frank breech so she ended up with Csec. Her OB is skilled at delivering twins vaginally so the option of a vaginal birth was there.

Congratulations. :)

04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
That's a tough one. My OB told me that he would deliver Baby B breech IF baby A was vertex AND baby A was at least as big as baby B (because of the whole paving the way thing). It really depends on your OB whether he/she is willing to deliver a breech baby - I think the older OBs are, simply because they have had a lot of experience with it. Younger OBs default to surgery more. Anyway, too bad BOTH my babies were as breech as you can get!

Since your OB won't deliver a breech baby, then you get to decide if you want to risk the "double whammy"!! I guess I'd lean towards trying to deliver vaginally, esp if baby B is smaller and is more likely to be able to be turned once baby A is outta the way. Cuz c-section recovery (at least for me) was R.O.U.G.H. Ugh, it sucked! So if there's a chance you might be able to deliver naturally, I'd probably go for it.

Or, start putting ice on Baby B's head now:)

04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
not a multiple mom here, but I have a friend who just became one. She delivered one vaginally and the other 5 min. later via c-section. Not sure I'd want the recovery from both deliveries...

04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
What odds does your OB give you? That's really what it comes down to, I think, their skill level at turning Baby B after Baby A is out of the way. Or start looking locally for a doc who is willing to deliver a breech Baby B - I have a few names in my back pocket even though I don't think that I'll leave my current dr's practice over this issue.

If your OB has already said that they will not delivery Baby B breech, then I doubt that you can change their mind (nor do I think that you want to - I'd only attempt it with someone who has had plenty of practice at it). My dr's practice used to do Baby B breech but stopped because they felt strongly that the risks outweighed the benefits, and they are VERY hands-off and non-interventionist in their approach to birth.

04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Keep in mind that there are risks for twin vaginal deliveries that don't exist in singletons -- a big one is the umbilical cord of Twin B beginning to exit before that Twin does -- if that shows any sign of happening, you're probably looking at an emergency C-section.

As much as I didn't want to have a C-section, I really didn't want to have to recover from both a vaginal and a C-section delivery from one pregnancy.

And note that they can turn late. At 33wks, both of mine were vertex. When they were coming out at ~36wks, B had turned breech... (they did an ultrasound in the delivery room to check on them before I got too far along).

04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I had both births and would not change it if I could do it again. I wanted to go for a med-free birth, and got it with A.

A was vertex and B was breech. A was bigger than B. My doctor tried to turn B after A was out and B got stuck transverse with her hand out and the cord wrapped around the hand. I ended with an emergency c-section for B and she spent 2 days in the NICU. Recovery from the c-section was harder than the vaginal delivery (and I had an episiotimy and third degree tear).

I say go for the vaginal and hope that the maneuver works. As it turns my baby B is very, very stubborn, so it probably was her not wanting to come out yet;). Good luck.

05-26-2009, 02:20 AM
My twins were head down and transverse. My doctor and I agreed it was best to try for a vaginal delivery with him turning baby b. All went fine for baby a, and my doctor successfully turned baby b, but then baby b's cord prolasped (came into the birth canal), and my doctor had to take baby b by emergency c-section (and i mean emergency). Luckily I had an epidural, but i still felt a lot. Not pressure, pain. It hurt. My baby wasn't breathing at first, and he had to spend 2 days in the nicu. But he recovered very quickly, and he is perfectly healthy thanks to my quick acting doctor. Recovering from the c-section was hard, and it took a long time. I wouldn't choose that if I could avoid it. But if I were in the same situation again, I would definately get an epidural. Having it saved precious time and probably saved my son's life. Good luck!