PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm so happy my taxes are done" thread

bubbaray
04-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Post your bitches & happy dances here!

I HATE doing taxes. I hate anything to do with numbers. However, I'm VERY happy to have them done and filed. For the first time in a very long time, I don't owe. So, I'm doing a happy dance!

ETA: Any non-Canadians reading, Canadian taxes aren't due until April 30.

hillview
04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Happy they are done. Annoyed with how much we owe!
/hillary

MontrealMum
04-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Not done yet. DH's responsibility. Grrrrrr

I will NOT be happy if I end up stepping in to do this at the last minute :mad:

bubbaray
04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Too bad you didn't live closer -- you could use my QuickTax. You get 8 returns with each copy.

I've used QuickTax for years. Its a bit pricey, but you can import the info from previous years, so it saves a lot of time. If your return is pretty basic (employment income, some RRSP contributions, daycare expenses, etc), its a snap. I STRESS about it every year (did I mention I hate dealing with numbers?), but it couldn't be easier.

KrisM
04-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Happy they're done.

Happy we got an extra $300 for DS2 :).

elektra
04-19-2009, 11:09 PM
So happy we are done too. I even got my California refund already! Only a month or so ago the word was that CA was just issuing IOU's. But the state did actually start issuing checks. It was the first time in a few years that I haven't owed either.

MontrealMum
04-19-2009, 11:22 PM
If they're not done by Wed. I will look into buying that! I did my Canadian taxes by hand ONCE. And once was more than enough to do me in. DH is just so much better at things like this, unfortunately he's not good with remembering things, or meeting deadlines, or keeping track of receipts, OK, he's mostly just better at the math. And the little boxes.

bubbaray
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Sounds like my DH

OK, here is what you do. Get 2 file folders. Mark one DH taxes 2009 (b/c next year's tax return will be for 2009) and one your taxes 2009 (you can prepare jointly with QuickTax, but you need your separate receipts and need to file separately in Canada). Collect all your tax stuff as the year goes on. INCLUDING your Notice of Assessment for 2008. You need the Notice of Assessment from THIS year for NEXT year's taxes. Yes, that is in caps because every.single.freakin'.year, my DH can't find his @#$% Notice of Assessment (it has your RRSP contribution limit, which is a required box on your return).

Whenever you want to file your taxes (we should have filed in late February), you just pull out your folders, open QuickTax on your computer and start inputting the data. Seriously, its SUPER easy.

Oh, and to file online with CRA, you need a Netfile access code. You might have already received one, if not, I think you can apply online at their website.

MontrealMum
04-19-2009, 11:41 PM
You are so organized Melissa! Actually, much of that I already have in my own folder (or will for next year) - which I always have to keep my own stuff (receipts, tuition notice etc) until the "tax moment" because otherwise DH would lose it! I have the online code too somewhere in my office from a few years back, again, DH was filing, but I'm hanging on to everyting !?! Luckily our daycare assessment and govt cheques are under me, not him. I think I will root around in his "room" tomorrow while he's at work just to see if there's any evidence of tax preparations :dizzy:

EllasMum
04-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Another vote for QuickTax. It rocks. OK I must admit that my dear father files my returns - he has QuickTax, I don't - and as Melissa pointed out, you get 8 returns! I had my taxes done about a month ago and had my return in my account about 10 days later. I love, love, LOVE efile. So good!

Here's a great joke I got on email a while back:

New 2008 Canada Revenue Agency Tax Form

1. How much money did you make in 2008?
2. Send it to us.

;)

mikeys_mom
04-20-2009, 12:26 PM
As a CA in public practice (although I do not specialize in tax), I am ashamed to admit that I usually efile on April 29th or 30th. :bag

It's usually not a big deal for me because I know what slips and receipts I need to keep so I have a folder for all the stuff that comes in throughout the year. Also, I know that DH and I have pretty simple returns and I can get them done in a few hours.

This year is particularly bad because I barely have a second free during the day and am too exhausted to think straight at night. My goal for this week is to get our stuff together and draft the returns. Added annoyance is that since I am on mat leave now, I only have access to my office's tax preparation software by logging in from home, which is a bit slower than if I were in the office.

I wish I could have DH just take care of it all this year, but I think I would lose my mind trying to explain to him what he needs to do. Uggh!!

Neatfreak
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Since we moved overseas, KPMG does our taxes, and we only sent them our info this past weekend! Eeep! I had totally lost track of time ...