PDA

View Full Version : My Marilla Cuthbert moment

kijip
04-20-2009, 02:13 AM
I love my husband. And I love Costco/Cash N Carry/Bulk food in general.

But how in the heck does he think that 25 pounds of brown sugar is possibly going to get used before it is all as solid as a rock? We just don't use enough sugar to justify having 25 pounds of it, especially brown sugar which is hard to store, in any sort of reasonable time. Previously all of our brown sugar came from the bulk bin at the co-op in quanities of 2ish pounds at a time. Which lasted a looooonng time.

25 pounds of brown sugar indeed.

No need to guess my sweetener of choice for the baked oatmeal batch I just made. :wink2:

tylersmama
04-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Oh my. That's a LOT of brown sugar! :eek:

MontrealMum
04-20-2009, 02:49 AM
I have to smile at your literary reference...so how do you feel about puffed sleeves? ;)

kijip
04-20-2009, 02:53 AM
I have to smile at your literary reference...so how do you feel about puffed sleeves? ;)

To his credit, no rakes were bought as far as I can tell. ;)

MontrealMum
04-20-2009, 02:55 AM
I was *just* coming back here to edit my post to ask that all-important question :)

That is my #1 all-time favorite book!!!

kijip
04-20-2009, 03:30 AM
That is my #1 all-time favorite book!!!

Me too. I recall that in the book Mathew was too shy to even talk to the salesgirl (just bought useless stuff) and ended up having Mrs. Lynde make the dress. And Jerry Boute gets the sugar in his porridge or something. Priceless.

I think I am going to offer some of the sugar to some of my friends and family. It takes a village to use a boatload of sugar. :)

sarahsthreads
04-20-2009, 08:59 AM
It's not a bargain if you did not need or want it in the first place.
OK, I think this is especially funny in light of this line in your sig. ;)

25 pounds of brown sugar is an insane amount, I can't even imagine how big the bag must be! Did you know, though, that brown sugar can be frozen? I haven't done it myself, as I haven't had such a surplus, but it could be an option...

Sarah :)

Melaine
04-20-2009, 09:07 AM
*SOB*
I thought nothing could be as bad as red hair. Green is ten times worse.

kransden
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
25 lbs? We usually use about 2 packages a year and I like to bake. What was he thinking? "I love cookies!?" :)

maestramommy
04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
:hysterical:

I would start baking a lot. We go through brown sugar pretty quickly since I used it for all of my baking. But 25 lbs is a bit much :p
But at least it wasn't 25 lbs of grass seed!

elephantmeg
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
ROTFl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love that part of the book :) I guess you need a hired hand :)

mommyp
04-20-2009, 06:12 PM
That is an insane amount of brown sugar! I just had to respond to the title of your post, since that is my favorite book of all time also. I can't even count how many times I've read it, it is well-worn to say the least.

misshollygolightly
04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
*Sigh* It's nice to know I have a board full of "bosom friends" and "kindred spirits" :-) There's just so much more scope for the imagination...

scrooks
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Love the reference! I haven't thought about that story in a long time. I can't wait until DD is old enough to read the books and watch the movies!

love_a_latte
04-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Marilla Cuthbert, what a flood of memories that name brings back. I am eagerly awaiting introducing DD to that wonderful world. Heck, I may have to add it to the Netflix queue for myself. I can see my DH's expression now, as he asks what the new movie is, and I respond "Anne of Green Gables!"

Melaine
04-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Marilla Cuthbert, what a flood of memories that name brings back. I am eagerly awaiting introducing DD to that wonderful world. Heck, I may have to add it to the Netflix queue for myself. I can see my DH's expression now, as he asks what the new movie is, and I respond "Anne of Green Gables!"

Is that out on Blue Ray yet? I think it's about time I replace those VHS copies from forever ago. That's definitely a set of movies I am willing to invest in!

I already have a nice hardback copy of the books for both the girls when they are old enough. Wonder what they'd do if I started reading them out loud to them now?:love5:

jal
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
As long as you keep it well sealed between uses, does brown sugar really ever go "bad"?

I know it can become rock hard... and that's where I learned a lesson from my dad... toss it in the microwave for a few moments will soften it up.

frgsnlzrds
04-21-2009, 11:09 AM
First, one of my favorite books. Love the reference! :)

Second, my DH says if you divide it into one gallon ziploc bags and seal them tight, it should keep well. And a piece of bread thrown into a bag of hard brown sugar softens it up.

I hope he's not getting any ideas.... LOL

kijip
04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
As long as you keep it well sealed between uses, does brown sugar really ever go "bad"?

Nope, just difficult to use and break apart to cream with butter.

We don't use plastic ziploc bags in the house for anything normally but I may run and get some, separate it and freeze some of the bags or something.

vejemom
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I keep my brown sugar frozen. Works great, just remember to take it out about 20 minutes before you need it so it can thaw a bit. Otherwise it is brick hard.

You could probably mix some of it with baby oil and use it as an exfoliant. Make DH keep an eye on the kids while you do spa time in the bathroom!

o_mom
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Nope, just difficult to use and break apart to cream with butter.

We don't use plastic ziploc bags in the house for anything normally but I may run and get some, separate it and freeze some of the bags or something.

If you don't want to use plastic, you could spring for a set of canning jars and freeze in those - about $10 for 2 dozen or something like that.

kijip
04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
If you don't want to use plastic, you could spring for a set of canning jars and freeze in those - about $10 for 2 dozen or something like that.

Actually we have a lot of canning jars. I wonder if I have more than I need for canning this summer. Though hopefully tomatoes do better here this year and we need more jars! I might try that.

sste
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Give it away!! Seriously, its not worth your health or freezer space to deal with 25 pounds of sugar.

For a more fun option, and if you have a little kitchen space, why don't you have some friends over (with or without DCs) for a make your own cookies/frozen dough swap. Say you will provide the flour and of course brown sugar!!, they should bring their recipes and everything else they will need, and at the end participants all share their cookies so you go home with multiple varieties. Can also be done with frozen dough.

I went to one of these around the xmas holidays and it was really fun. If you have a small kitchen limit the invitees.

kijip
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Give it away!! Seriously, its not worth your health or freezer space to deal with 25 pounds of sugar.

For a more fun option, and if you have a little kitchen space, why don't you have some friends over (with or without DCs) for a make your own cookies/frozen dough swap. Say you will provide the flour and of course brown sugar!!, they should bring their recipes and everything else they will need, and at the end participants all share their cookies so you go home with multiple varieties. Can also be done with frozen dough.

I went to one of these around the xmas holidays and it was really fun. If you have a small kitchen limit the invitees.

I like the cookie party idea. :boogie:

We have so much freezer space I am not worried about it. It's actually a smaller bag than one might think because sugar is so heavy. Though maybe I have reached that conclusion just because I have become used to looking at the bag over the last few days...like the Venti cups at Starbucks seemed enormous to me the first time I saw them but now they look normally sized. :hysterical:

american_mama
04-29-2009, 01:30 AM
I enjoy all the AnneFans here. That was supposed to be my AOL screen name, back in 1994 when their subsriber base was small and you could still get a logical screen name. But it was already taken by an Anne Murray fan. As if!

I just discovered some nice Anne groups on Facebook.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
I enjoy all the AnneFans here. That was supposed to be my AOL screen name, back in 1994 when their subsriber base was small and you could still get a logical screen name. But it was already taken by an Anne Murray fan. As if!

I just discovered some nice Anne groups on Facebook.

did you try "AnneFanne"? :)

I remember the days when you could tell how long someone had been on AOL by whether or not they had numbers in their screen name. And whether it was 10 characters, because that used to be the limit.

s7714
04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
You could probably mix some of it with baby oil and use it as an exfoliant. Make DH keep an eye on the kids while you do spa time in the bathroom!

With that much you could probably make up some homemade exfoliant to give out as gifts to everyone too!