PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a push toy

Carrots
04-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi all,
DD is beginning to walk and I was considering a push toy for her to play with in the house. Are they worth it? I saw a couple at a resale store recently and wasn't overly impressed - then again, I really don't know what to look for. Can someone give me a recommendation?

Thanks!

wellyes
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
My DD is starting to walk to, and ANYTHING become a push toy..... boxes, her toy drum, any toy she can scoot across the floor. And my end tables LOL.

Her absolute favorite is this Fisher Price one (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Brilliant-Basics-Stroll-Along-Walker/dp/B0015KVXW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1240234141&sr=8-1). It's just the right height. And as she walks, she collects stuff to put into the seat (blocks and any other toy she wanders past). Plus there is a little button she can push near the handlebar that plays a short song. She'll be pushing the stroller, stop to push her button, then she wiggles and dances for a minute. It is adorable.

Friends of ours have something similar but it's a shopping cart and it comes with a bunch of plastic food - that one is great too.

I have hardwood floors and a cape with a central stairway. DD just goes around the stairway over and over in a circle. If you have carpet or a small play area (where she'd spend more time turning the toy around rather than pushing) I'm not sure how well these would work.

katydid1971
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
My DD is starting to walk to, and ANYTHING become a push toy..... boxes, her toy drum, any toy she can scoot across the floor. And my end tables LOL.

Her absolute favorite is this Fisher Price one (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Brilliant-Basics-Stroll-Along-Walker/dp/B0015KVXW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1240234141&sr=8-1). It's just the right height. And as she walks, she collects stuff to put into the seat (blocks and any other toy she wanders past). Plus there is a little button she can push near the handlebar that plays a short song. She'll be pushing the stroller, stop to push her button, then she wiggles and dances for a minute. It is adorable.

Friends of ours have something similar but it's a shopping cart and it comes with a bunch of plastic food - that one is great too.

I have hardwood floors and a cape with a central stairway. DD just goes around the stairway over and over in a circle. If you have carpet or a small play area (where she'd spend more time turning the toy around rather than pushing) I'm not sure how well these would work.
DD has this same one. She really likes it and loves putting her dolly in it.

Carrots
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks!! The stroller and shopping cart toys are much better than the ones I saw at the resale store. I am going to check them out today!

firsttimemama
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I like the radio flyer walker wagon

lmintzer
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Loved this one (we had the version without the sounds). It STILL gets used, 7 years later!

http://comfortfirst.com/p-30605-chicco-usa-play-n-ride-train-with-sounds-model-67358.aspx

brittone2
04-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Haba's push toy and the RF walker wagon get excellent reviews.

IME, the heavier the better in terms of speed being slowed a bit, especially on hard floors. The Haba toy doesn't have "governors" but the RF has little plastic clickers for the wheels which help to slow the speed. Many push toys are light and will "skid" around on hardwood, vinyl, etc. Also, many times the handles stick out too far and are not centered properly over the center of gravity.

THe Haba and RF are expensive, but can be used as toys down the road (stroller, grocery cart), or resold.

That said, for many kids, a laundry basket or similar works fine. I have a plastic shopping cart I used when I worked as a PT in early intervention. It has wide-set wheels (much wider than many of the plastic pushtoys I see), and a handle that is set up so that it doesn't stick out much past the toy's center of gravity. Those two features make it more stable.

newg
04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
My dd also has the fisher price strolle and loves it. She also stops to push the music bottom to do a little dance. We have pergo floors and an area rug...she can push it between the two pretty easily now. I think she'll be getting a shopping cart of some kind when she's a little older.
Look for something with a wide base and a stationary handle. MIL bought dd a fisher price mower that is rather flimsy and the handle doesn't stand up by itself...great for later when she can walk on her own really well, but it's only good as a floor toy now.

MommyofAmaya
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Another vote for the RF Walker Wagon. DS (9mo tomorrow) has been pulling up and pushing it for a couple of weeks already and has only had a spill when he tries to crawl IN it. The wheels provide a good amount of resistance and thus it is much safer than others we've used. DD (3 next month) still likes to put her toys in it and push them around.

jgenie
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM

:yeahthat:

brittone2
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
nak-
I'm not sure how the Ikea one compares...maybe someone here will know. anyway, I always thought that one looked interesting but have never used it w/ a child personally.

larig
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
This is a very timely thread. We're looking for one for our 10 month old. I almost bought that ikea one last week, but it was strapped down and I couldn't judge how much resistance there would be when it was pushed. We have hardwoods, and need something that won't be too easy to push. I'd love to hear from others what they thought about it.

ETA: the ikea one was only $25!!

jenny
04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Anyone try the Melissa and Doug wooden chomp and alligator click toy? It's the cheapest wooden walker out there for $35?

Carrots
04-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks, everyone!! You have given me some great products to look into!

Take care,
Kristen

Melbel
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Another vote for the RF Walker Wagon. DD2 enjoys pulling up, walking some and going for rides in hers. I found it for $55 at amazon.com last December which is not too bad.

jent
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemama