PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite CANDY not made/available in the USA?

Corie
04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
My friend went to England and she gave me some chocolate treats
from her trip.

She gave me some chocolate Smarties (these were okay) and she
gave me a Cadbury Crunchie chocolate bar.

The Cadbury Crunchie bar was delicious!!!!

Why don't they have these here in the US?

So, my question is---

What is your favorite candy (chocolate or not) that is NOT available
here in the United States?

MacMacMoo
04-20-2009, 11:50 AM
i like Kinder Eggs just because they aren't allowed State Side lol.

infomama
04-20-2009, 11:53 AM
We also love Crunchies (the honeycomb chocolate covered candy, right?). We found it in Canada in the past but not recently. I actually have a recipe to make that candy (sponge candy) if you want to attempt it at home.

Corie
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
We also love Crunchies (the honeycomb chocolate covered candy, right?). We found it in Canada in the past but not recently. I actually have a recipe to make that candy (sponge candy) if you want to attempt it at home.

Yes, it's the honeycomb chocolate covered candy!! So yummy!

I would never attempt to make my own. It would never taste as good! :)

hollybloom24
i like Kinder Eggs just because they aren't allowed State Side lol.

The Russian grocery store in my neighborhood illegally sells them!

hollybloom24
I like Cadbury Flake bars!

Corie
04-20-2009, 11:57 AM

I may need their address!! I'm not too far from you. I should get
a few eggs. :)

infomama
04-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I would never attempt to make my own. It would never taste as good! :)
Actually, I think it's better! Also, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory sells this candy (although not in bar form) called "honeycomb candy"

miki
04-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Why are they illegal? I used to buy them from a shop that sold chocolate from around the world in SF.

pb&j
04-20-2009, 12:30 PM
I like Cadbury Flake bars!

I've gotten those at an international grocery in my town, and I think I've seen them at World Market.

nfowife
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Kinder Eggs are illegal in the US because the toy contains chokeable parts :( . We aren't even allowed to send them back to the states- the mail will confiscate them! Kind of nuts if you ask me....

I LOVE violet crumble chocolate bar. It is another one of the honeycomb bars and I think it is BETTER than the cadbury crunchie. I think it is Australian? It is sooooooo good!

niccig
04-20-2009, 12:32 PM
M

Do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you???
http://www.worldmarket.com/

They have Cadbury Crunchie bars.

I also like violet crumble bar (white honeycome whereas the Crunchie is golden colour). Then there's Aero bar, with all the little holes. Tim Tams are my FAVOURITE cookie...chocolate coated chocolate wafers with chocolate cream in the middle...you can get Tim Tams now, I saw them made by Pepperidge Farm I think, and they taste the same. But you can also get the originals at World Market..you can also get all the different cadbury bars including Flake (chocolate coated flake is to die for), violet crumble, aero bar at World Market...it's my go to place for the candy I grew up with as a kid.

mommylamb
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
There are places where you can get British chocolates (and probably others). MY DH is British, so from time to time we stock up on crunchies, flakes, etc. World Market has lots of them.

alexsmommy
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Nestle Mint Chocolate Aero bars. Mmmmm.

ilfaith
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Although Kit Kat and Twix are available in the US, I find the ones I've had in the UK and Canada are superior.

I also miss Maltesers. Although Whoppers are an acceptable alternative.

I've bought Cadbury Flake and Crunchies at my local World Market...if only they had dark chocolate covered HobNobs I'd be in heaven.

trales
04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Icelandic licorice, it is so much better than the stuff here.

mamicka
04-20-2009, 12:59 PM
They may be illegal here, but I've bought them here. & not at ethnic grocers either - I haven't been to one in a while. I can't remember which stores have them but there are some that do, illegal or not.

Moneypenny
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Cadbury makes a caramel candy with chocolate goo in the middle. When my British friend would go home to the UK to visit family, he would bring me back bags and bags of them. Yum!!!

niccig
04-20-2009, 01:23 PM
I've bought Cadbury Flake and Crunchies at my local World Market...if only they had dark chocolate covered HobNobs I'd be in heaven.

Not quite the same, but I saw chocolate covered Digestives...I use the non-chocolate kind for crumb base for cheesecakes and tarts.

kristenk
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I know I've seen the various Cadbury bars at our local higher-end grocery store. I've always been intrigued by them, but never purchased them. I'll have to check names, but I'm almost positive Crunchies.

Our local german grocery/deli sells KinderEggs, as does our British emporium. For so many years I was KinderEgg-less, but now I'm practically inundated with shopping opportunities! lol

3blackcats
04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Oh how I miss the chocolate from home:
-Wunderbars
-Aero
-Coffee Crisp
-Eggies (easter time candy)
-Smarties (the chocolate kind, not the sweetart like ones in the U.S)
-Trident Peppermint gum. The stuff here does not taste good at all.

Oh and I love Twirls from England. They are like Flakes but coated in chocolate so not as messy.

I think it's because Cadbury outside the US uses real sugar to flavour their chocolates.

fortato
04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I got hooked on "Bounty" bars when I was in England. (It's like a Mounds bar, but better) And Cadbury Chocolate is WAY better over there than it is here...

Corie
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Our local german grocery/deli sells KinderEggs, as does our British emporium. For so many years I was KinderEgg-less, but now I'm practically inundated with shopping opportunities! lol

Seriously?!

I wish I would have known this when I lived in Dallas!!

s7714
04-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd keep on eye on the ones you pick up from US sellers, because some of them are marketed as British versions but they're manufactuered per US requirements. My friend bought some from World Market one time when she was here in the US working and said they were in no shape or form the same type of chocolate she buys in the UK versions. They were made in the UK, but on closer inspection of the ingredient labels (direct comparison to one she had straight from home) they had different ingredient make-ups. Same name yes, but not the same chocolate. (This was a Cadbury bar.)

That said, I really liked the Cadbury Flake bar she brought me from home one time. :D

hollybloom24
04-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I may need their address!! I'm not too far from you. I should get
a few eggs. :)

Waban Market in Waban Square! (Newton).

Corie
04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Waban Market in Waban Square! (Newton).

Thanks so much!!

schrocat
04-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Tim Tams are super yummy especially when you bite off the ends and use them like a straw to drink milk.

I miss Freddo Frogs and Maltesers too.

niccig
04-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I got hooked on "Bounty" bars when I was in England. (It's like a Mounds bar, but better) And Cadbury Chocolate is WAY better over there than it is here...

I was told it's because they add something to the chocolate in hotter climates, but that they don't put it in the UK version. UK cadbury tastes much better than the Australian cadbury of the same chocolate bar...and yes I have done a direct taste comparison.

maestramommy
04-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I don't know what it's called officially, but it's a dried salty sour plum that's encased in some kind of sweet syrup. They probably sell it here in Asian food markets now, but to my knowledge it has to be imported. You can buy them as candies or as lollipops.

amandabea
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Although Kit Kat and Twix are available in the US, I find the ones I've had in the UK and Canada are superior.

I also miss Maltesers. Although Whoppers are an acceptable alternative.
I so much prefer the UK and Canadian Kit Kats...mmm. The Maltesers are yummy too.

Mmm, Bounty is my favorite...I need to go to Canada!

SnuggleBuggles
04-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Dh would say Tim Tam bars from Australia. me? Nothing comes to mind.

Beth

citymama
04-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Cadbury's from (in this order): New Zealand, Australia or the UK. LOVE 'EM.

:tongue5:

(is there an "i'm drooling" smiley?)

mommy2amelia
04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
My friend went to England and she gave me some chocolate treats
from her trip.

She gave me some chocolate Smarties (these were okay) and she
gave me a Cadbury Crunchie chocolate bar.

So, my question is---

What is your favorite candy (chocolate or not) that is NOT available
here in the United States?
sometimes you can find the Cadbury stuff (from England) in the international food section of your grocery store (mine carries it/Stop & Shop); I've also found them in Irish stores. I love English candy--my mother was born in Scotland/we still have relatives over there and they send us stuff all the time...yummy!

MMMommy
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Another vote for Violet Crumble (chocolate covered honeycomb) and my all-time favorite Golden Crumbles. Golden Crumbles are soooo good. Little molasses pockets filled with peanut butter. Mmmmmm. I'm not sure now if Golden Crumbles were a non-US candy, but I know I can't find them anywhere.

According to the Hometown Favorites website, these Golden Crunchies are similar to Golden Crumbles (but I've never tried Golden Crunchies, so no first-hand experience).

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/products.asp?dept=1029&number=HTCA006

srkaplan
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I used to travel to Canada for business monthly & totally miss all of their candy!
My all-time favorite is Clodhoppers ( http://www.clodhoppers.tv/ ) !! I would actually have standing orders from friends to buy them some bags whenever I was there.

mommyp
04-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Aero for me, DH would say Smarties.
The Cadbury's I have had from the UK is so good!!

Pennylane
04-20-2009, 06:11 PM
My all time favorites are Percy Pig Gummies from Mark and Spencer! I also love the Cadbury bars too.

Ann

mom2binsd
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Smarties (no comparison to M&M's!) I used to love to play the empty box like a harmonica!

Mackintosh Toffee in the box with the plaid label.

hollybloom24
04-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I just was at our local Russian market and the Kinder Suprise Eggs' label is in Russian. "Kinder Suprise" is in English, but the ingredients and other writing is Russian. There appeared to be several different varieites. They were $1.99 each.

I am guessing they import them from Russia!

Maybe I'll have to try one!

MommytoEliana
04-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Crunchies are my all-time favorite! You can find them at some British import shops here, and Cost Plus World Market usually has them. DH gave me six in my Christmas stocking one year--they didn't last the week. Yum!

niccig
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Crunchies are my all-time favorite! You can find them at some British import shops here, and Cost Plus World Market usually has them. DH gave me six in my Christmas stocking one year--they didn't last the week. Yum!

DH came home one day with ONE crunchie bar. He said they only had one left in the store, and he brought it home to SHARE. Now, that's :heartbeat: to share a crunchie bar...

amldaley
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Anything Cadburys from the UK (not the same as US Cadburys) especially Crunchie & Flake. McVitties choc biscuits. Tunnocks Caramel Wafers. Lion bars. Wedel Easter Wafers. DH loves the Yorkie bars.

And from Poland, Krowfki (crewf-key) (aka Brown Cows, Little Cows or Polish Cream Fudge).

goldenpig
04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Sugus, it's like Starburst but not as tart. We used to eat those a lot when we visited our relatives in Asia, but I haven't been able to find them here.

amldaley
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh how I miss the chocolate from home:
-Wunderbars
-Aero
-Coffee Crisp
-Eggies (easter time candy)
-Smarties (the chocolate kind, not the sweetart like ones in the U.S)
-Trident Peppermint gum. The stuff here does not taste good at all.

Oh and I love Twirls from England. They are like Flakes but coated in chocolate so not as messy.

I think it's because Cadbury outside the US uses real sugar to flavour their chocolates.

Cadburys in the US is made by Hershey. They use real sugar. It is the milk that is different and the amount of milk and milk fat vs parrafin. There is also a process called conching in chocolate making and it varies from place to place.

eta: I love Coffee Crisp, too but I have a store here that sells them regularly.

niccig
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Tim Tams are super yummy especially when you bite off the ends and use them like a straw to drink milk.

Ahh, the tim tam shooter. Do it with hot chocolate and you have to quickly shove it into your face before it melts all over the place..mmmmm so good.

niccig
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
...if only they had dark chocolate covered HobNobs I'd be in heaven.

I was there today, they had MILK chocolate covered HobNobs, a chocolate covered digestive and then a Cadbury version...but I don't think any were DARK chocolate.

erosenst
04-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Before I read the post (had only read the title) my immediate reaction was "Cadbury Crunchie". And while I know that World Market sells it in the US, I try to forget that for the sake of my weight :).

MontrealMum
04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I LOVE Hobnobs!!! Last time I was home I was able to find them in the international section of Meijer's.

I am willing to ship: Smarties, Coffee Crisp, Aero Bars, or Can. Cadbury bars as a trade for Mary Janes (the candy, not the other!) Would not mind having some candy corn or Peeps either :)

american_mama
04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Belgian "pralines", otherwise knowns as Belgian filled chocolates. Handmade in small batches by neighborhood chocolate shops, so they are much fresher than Belgian boxed chocolates you buy in the US.

Also, Belgian chocolate shops sell "manons" which are cream-filled chocolates. The filling is kind of like flavored sweet butter/whipped cream. They are very fresh and to my knowledge are not shipped to the US becuase of the possibility for spoiling.

My understanding is there has to be 100% cocoa butter in the chocolate in Belgium. In the US, it is a lower standard. A Belgian friend told me that her mother is a huge chocoholic, loves it all, but when she put Herhsey Kiss in her mouth, she spit it out and exclaimed "What is wrong with that?
'
I also love Lion bars from Germany, the huge varieties of Ritter Sport available, any chocolate filled with hazelnut nougat. And in Sweden, I loved Pigg bars (it means "energy" in Swedish) and several others that I no longer remember the names of.

GlindaGoodWitch
04-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm not much for sweets, but if you ever find yourself with an opportunity to visit Mary's in Brussels, it is worth every penny you will overspend on chocolate in there.

I also think that Bertolli's Basilico salad dressing might just be nectar of the gods. I could drink the stuff.

Corie
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
I am willing to ship: Smarties, Coffee Crisp, Aero Bars, or Can. Cadbury bars as a trade for Mary Janes (the candy, not the other!) Would not mind having some candy corn or Peeps either :)

A candy swap!!! Now that is an awesome idea!!! :)

tylersmama
04-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Geez, thanks a bunch, guys. I found myself nowhere near a World Market today and yet I had to go find one to see what they had from this thread! :p

I was actually kind of disappointed that they didn't have a lot of the things mentioned here, but I did pick up a Flake bar and a 5 pack of Crunchie bars. OMG, those Crunchie bars are GOOD. I didn't really like the Flake bar that much, but DS did (and was a complete MESS after eating it!).

Corie
04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I found a Polish Deli in my town that has the KinderSurprise Eggs!!!!
I am so excited! I bought 4 today!

Now, I just need to find the Cadbury Crunchie chocolate bar. And unfortunately,
I no longer live near a World Market.

LMPC
04-21-2009, 10:23 PM
You guys have made me hungry!!! I could really go for a Flake 99 (I think that's what it's called)....they take a Flake (see prior posts for description of this crumbly goodness) and stick it in soft-serve icecream. Um...YUM!!!

I also like Jelly Babies. NOT NOT gummy babies. These are made by Allsorts and are much softer than gummy candy. I always buy them when we visit family in Ireland...I buy a few bags for the kids and then one for me that I keep hidden :D

graciebellesmomma
04-22-2009, 01:22 AM
The Kit Kat Giant bar that we ate in Ireland. I also loved the Mint Aero bar.

Not enough that I would search them out, but if they knocked on my door, I would
eat them!