PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for storing Legos?

mikeys_mom
04-20-2009, 12:40 PM
DS has recently become very interested in his Legos and I am trying to find a good storage solution. He has a few of the basic bins and some of the City series and Pirates sets.

I am currently storing all the basic pieces in a Rubbermaid bin and the constructed vehicles are usually left on his dresser. They are rapidly multiplying faster than he has space on his dresser. Is there any sort of bin type container that has compartments in it?

brittone2
04-20-2009, 02:25 PM
On a blog I read once in a while, there was a mom who made her DS an under bed trundle. Really, it is just a piece of smooth board like masonite (I think that's what it is called), with some molding around the perimeter. It slides on its own on carpet without any wheels. I'm sure you could put some casters on it or felt on the bottom if you had hard floors. It is very thin, but can hold quite a few Lego (we don't sort by sets or anything). They can build on it, and it allows pieces to be spread out so they can see what they have without being spread all over the floor.

My dad built one for DS and it is working for us for now. DS's Lego are mostly all DH's from his childhood, so again, we aren't storing by sets or anything.

Here's a pic from the blog I was referencing:
http://sugarboot.blogspot.com/2007/10/lego-dreams.html

If you need storage for the already-created stuff...a bookshelf? If you don't have the floor space, just a wall mounted shelf? If the already created stuff is smaller, maybe an underbed storage box (like a rubbermaid underbed bin?)

kijip
04-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Once a big set is put together, we have been taking a picture. Then he plays with it as he wants and inevitably gets disassembled and the pieces co-mingled with others and he creates whatever the heck he wants. He mostly has plain bricks and stuff from the Creator line but he got a Mars Mission set, an AquaZone set, and a City Coast Guard Boat with his allowance savings at Legoland in March. The plastic bricks themselves get put away in 2 plastic bins that cam with legos and in the open toy bins he has in his room an a rack. I can see these things taking over the house though, so we may have to dream up something else. The under bed thing is not going to work since in a year F will be sharing a room with T and having legos on the floor in a room for a 1 year old seems unsafe. T is already learning to be good about setting them away up high so the pieces aren't eaten by visiting toddlers.

I have a binder with plastic sleeves that we keep the manuals for the sets so he can rebuild something when he wants.

jhamman
04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
We have been using this style of clear plastic storage cases
that are usually used for scrapbook materials:

http://www.spacesavers.com/scrapbookchest.html

The cases can be removed from the chest,
so DC can work on a project anywhere around the house,
then quickly close it up and put it away.

They are also wide enough and shallow enough
that DC can sift through the pieces to find the piece he is looking for,
without needing to dump the contents on the floor
(which happened to us when we were using shoebox size bins).

We're still looking for a good storage solution
for the finished projects, though!

new_mommy25
04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I am currently struggling with the same thing. My DS uses his train table to play legos and all his legos are in clear plastic containers. Everything is mixed up. My DS prefers it that way though it drives OCD me to the brink of insanity. :lol: My DS tends to build something and then dismantle it to build other things. So we don't have a whole lot on display. I really want to buy one of those lego sifters where the pieces sort by size. I'm hoping to grab something like that when we go to California in a few weeks.

elephantmeg
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I've heard of people putting them in a sheet and then the sheet in a drawer or bin. So when you play, you play on the sheet and when you're done the clean up is fast. I think it was parents magazine that had a playroom organization section in the last magazine where they divied the legos into bins bought at target-sorted by size and color with a desk to build on or something.

Twin Mom
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I just heard about this recently. It looks really cool.

www.box4blox.com

HTH.

SnuggleBuggles
04-20-2009, 10:56 PM
We have so, so, so many Legos that our collection is stored in those plastic shoe box sized Rubbermaid like containers and they are organized by color. Finished sets that took a long time to make are displayed.

Beth

deannanb
04-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I just heard about this recently. It looks really cool.

www.box4blox.com (http://www.box4blox.com)

HTH.

:yeahthat: I think I want to get this!

mikeys_mom
04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Under the bed storage won"t work for us because there is a trundle bed under his bed. The lego sorting cube is cool looking, but I am worried that it won't be large enough.

I really like the plastic storge case on wheels. He has a large closet in his room that it could be stored in out of sight from DD and eventually the twins. We are still finishing some of the accessories in DS's room so I might just put up a shelf for displaying his finished creations.

bnme
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM
I have a binder with plastic sleeves that we keep the manuals for the sets so he can rebuild something when he wants.

LOVE this idea! I think I need to set something up.