PDA

View Full Version : is this enough in a pumping session

hellokitty1
04-20-2009, 01:18 PM
i have been pumping occasionally when either ds sleeps through a feeding or we are out and a bottle will work better,etc.

when i pump at the same time that ds would normally be nursing, i get no more than 2-3 oz per breast. is that "enough"? i just saw another unrelated post where the person said they could get up to 14 oz per session. holy cow.

i don't have any other issues that would cause concern except that ds nurses forever but can take a bottle in about 5 minutes. :) so it just makes me wonder if, when i pump, do i get enough?

Hawkeyewife
04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I have successfully nursed 3 babies until 12-15 months.

I usually pump in the evening for babysitting purposes and don't get more than 4-5 ounces. Ironically, the only times I have gotten more are those times when DH and I have gone out and had a drink or two and then I had to pump and dump.

I wouldn't worry unless your baby is not growing or is hungry all the time etc. Some women are just blessed with a larger milk supply.

nupe
04-20-2009, 02:06 PM
when i pump at the same time that ds would normally be nursing, i get no more than 2-3 oz per breast.

There are so many variables.
I typically get 2-3 oz per side if I time along with nursing times.

kijip
04-20-2009, 02:10 PM
F is gaining fine and getting enough but when I pump the most I get is 4 to 4 and 1/2 ounces. Usually 2-3 ounces total between both breasts. Pumping output is not an accurate measure of how much the baby is getting nor of a person's ability to successfully breast-feed. Your output sounds just great. I would not worry yourself over it.

egoldber
04-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Pumping 2-3 ounces per side is great! Many women who nurse successfully get nothing when they pump. The pump is not an indication of your supply or what your baby gets when they nurse. :)

Some women are really good pumpers and some are not.

ETA: Also, pumping tends to be a "learned response" for your body. The woman you are referring to is exclusively pumping and pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock. The body responds very differently in that situation than it does for someone who pumps occasionally.

kcandz
04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
From kellymom.com 2oz is great

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html#normal

hellokitty1
04-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Pumping 2-3 ounces per side is great!
ETA: Also, pumping tends to be a "learned response" for your body. The woman you are referring to is exclusively pumping and pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock. The body responds very differently in that situation than it does for someone who pumps occasionally.

thanks - didn't think about exclusive pumpers vs. occasional pumpers.

From kellymom.com 2oz is great

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html#normal

thanks for this link. i like the info on this site. i just find it hard to navigate and search for a particular topic.

now i just have to work on a plan to build a stash for returning to work. thinking of adding one pump session in the AM after DS nurses.