PDA

View Full Version : Healthier (chemical free) garden hose?

s7714
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I was looking for a new garden hose today as our old ones fell apart at the end of last summer. ALL the hoses I looked at have warnings about how you're not supposed to drink water from them and how they contain chemicals, yadda yadda yadda. Now I don't let my DDs drink from the hose, but they no doubt drink their pool water and for that matter spend hours in said water during the summer!

Has anyone ever seen a healthier garden hose available at a B&M store (or online I suppose if S&H isn't too expensive) that's not made with all the chemicals? The employee at the store I was at pointed at one made from 100% recycled materials, which I think he assumed would be "healthier" but it still had the warnings plastered on it.

TIA for any ideas!

JTsMom
04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow, I never thought about that! I think the water gets the most contaminated when it sits in the hose, especially when left in the sun, so I'd say if all else fails, empty the hose first, and then use it.

We bought a new one yesterday, and the water that came through it REEKED of chemicals- it was disgusting. Blech!

s7714
04-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Wow, I never thought about that! I think the water gets the most contaminated when it sits in the hose, especially when left in the sun, so I'd say if all else fails, empty the hose first, and then use it.

We bought a new one yesterday, and the water that came through it REEKED of chemicals- it was disgusting. Blech!

Most of the stuff I read online said theoretically the water moves through the hose fast enough it doesn't pick up those chemicals, but you should always run it for a minute before using the water. I can accept that if there are no other options, but I thought I'd at least see what was out there before investing in another hose!

ThreeofUs
04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
There are hoses made for transferring drinking water - such as to an RV. Check RV sites for them.

basilicali
04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
I saw one at OSH hardware, you might want to check a large hardware store near you, it said it contained materials safe for drinking water.

Karen