PDA

View Full Version : 5yo Asperger Gift

Wife_and_mommy
04-20-2009, 09:53 PM
DC is attending a party this coming weekend. Birthday kid is opposite gender so I'm a little stumped.

My 3 and 5yo both love Perler Beads so I bought a kit with a couple accessories for a gift. I'm having some second thoughts and would love opinions. I still have a few days to return and get something else if needed.

TIA.

fauve01
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Well what about a gift card? my 5YO loves loves loves to pick out her own book at the book store, so what about a gift card for Barnes and Noble? Or even Target?

Another thing I like to give is new jammies. Especially in spring or fall, when the season is changing. Everyone can use new jammies! i go to Disney store and get the giftee fav character. Lots of times they're having a 2 for $20 sale. If you're not into characters, you could go to the Carter store or Target and get noncharacter ones. in Spring, i get the short sleeve/shorts jammies and in Fall i get the long sleeve/long pants jammies. Then you can get whatever small stuff to go with--washcloth or small i spy coloring book or new markers or something.

soemthing else i like to give, especially in spring is a new beach towel. seems like everyone can use a new towel. :-) You could give new bucket/shovel/water toys or beach book to go with.

personally, I wold not give perler beads unless i knew the giftee loved them and didn't already have the kit i was giving.

HTH,
A + dd 10-03

MamaKath
04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
It is really thoughtful that you are trying to match a gift with this child's specific needs. :) Aspies often create a scenario in their heads about how things will be and can be easily disappointed; birthday parties can be hard for them. Most Aspies have a focus topic that they love. Do you know the child well enough to know what that is for him/her? If so maybe something to go with it. For example if he/she loves horses, some Schleich horses or a paint your own horse kit. Otherwise I would ask the parent what the child might like. Or get a gift card to Target. :)

GL~

Wife_and_mommy
04-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for your responses, ladies. I'll check with DD's teacher tomorrow. I think she'll be able to help me with a specific subject bday kid is interested in. Should have done that to begin with!

If all else fails, we'll go with Target. :)