PDA

View Full Version : Ever suffer from anxiety? How do you cope?

tmarie
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Wondering if anyone else suffers from anxiety, and if so how you address it? Any ideas on how to treat it without medication?

I have been feeling REALLY anxious the last few days...almost panicky. It has a lot to do with financial concerns (dh's job could be in jeopardy), major life changes (just started staying home FT last week), and just general stresses (inlaws!).

I want to go to my doctor and ask for medication, but am worried about what this will mean for my medical records....I've heard people pay out of pocket so that it doesn't go on their records? Also, I'm worried that if I start something I will never be able to come off it. I really think my anxiety is due to certain circumstances, that eventually will resolve, KWIM?

tmarie

mommy33
04-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I have suffered from Generalized Anxiety Disorder for many years (before I had a baby) and for me, the only way to deal with it has been medications. Usually therapy can help, as can meditation or yoga for some people. But if medications are the only option, there are many that are non-addictive and that you would be able to get off easily. Even the addictive ones I have been on before and got off fairly easily when I got pregnant. I would recommend going to see a therapist and seeing if talking about your problems will help. If not, your therapist would be able to recommend a psychiatrist who could prescribe you something.

Tondi G
04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
I had panic attacks after DS#2 was born and was prescribed Lexapro. It worked wonders for me... stayed on for a year or so and then I was able to wean off. I have had a couple of panic attacks since coming off the medication. I got a supplement from my acupuncturist that is very helpful for when I have trouble sleeping and my sister has taken it for stressful situations and found it to be very calming. The company is Evergreen Herbs and it's called CALM or CALM ES

http://www.evherb.com/Products/evergreencollection_list12.htm

You might find something here that would be helpful

http://www.nativeremedies.com/category/psychological-remedies-health-natural-herbal.html

kijip
04-21-2009, 01:53 AM
I am currently dealing with postpartum anxiety, using an extremely low dose medication. I could always see the worst (and best) in any given situation prior to this but once F was about 4 weeks old, I started having very paranoid and worried thoughts that I had never had ever before.

Medication does not need to be a permanent thing and I don't see you needing to hide it from your insurance carrier.

jse107
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I started Lexapro after DS was born, and like Katie, it worked really well for me. I weaned off when TTC #2, but started again when DD was born due to the likely reccurance of PPD/Anxiety.

I'm still taking it and would say that I also have GAD. I see no reason to hide it from insurance. It did cause my life insurance cost to go up slightly, but I wouldn't choose not to take it for that.

If you're having more panic-type attacks, perhaps something like Xanax or clonazepam might be something to try when you get really overwhelmed. My dr. perscribed clonazepam for particularly anxious periods (like before bed), but I really have only used it a few times. A thirty pill perscription has lasted me over a year. That said, I do like knowing that it's there if I feel overwhelmed!

Hang in there and get yourself to your doctor!!