PDA

View Full Version : Adopting--Crib vs. bassinet vs. co-sleeper?

bigpassport
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
We have been matched with a birthmother who is due mid-June. While things look good, you never know (...until 72 hours after the birth of the baby). So my plan is to buy the bare minimum for the newborn to get by, then have a shower 3-6 weeks after the baby comes home...then spring for whatever we don't get at the shower. I probably won't try breastfeeding (but if someone wants to encourage me, I'm open to it).

What should I get for the baby to sleep in for the first few weeks? I have no problem with buying second hand if it is clean or cleanable and its safe.
--A bassinet?
--A PNP with bassinet?
--A co-sleeper (are co-sleepers valuable for non-breastfeeding moms?)
--A crib?

Help. I know this a broad question, but I'm just starting to try to figure this out!

Lee

shawnandangel
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I've never adopted, so I can't answer with experience in that respect what worked for me. However, DD was born in October 2008 and we have just recently begun moving her from her pnp in our bedroom to her crib in the nursery. I think if you want to spend the bare minimum the best bet is a pack n play.

I hate to say this - but if things don't work out - the pack n play would probably sell the best on craigslist or wherever you would choose to sell it.

We bought the travel pack n play for dd for around $80 on amazon. It has been fantastic.

smiles33
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Congrats on the impending addition to your family! Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly...

As for sleeping arrangements, I think it will totally depend on the baby and possibly depend on you and your DH. I was intent on being over-prepared (rather than buy things at the last minute) so I had a Graco PNP with bassinet, an Arm's Reach co-sleeper (it attaches to the bed so it's like co-sleeping but no risk of a parent rolling over onto the baby), and a crib. That way, I could research carefully and find deals (like buying the Arm's Reach used for $80 instead of $150, the PNP on clearance for $50 instead of $100, and the crib for $299 instead of $600). I didn't even consider the stand-alone bassinets or Moses baskets

My DD hated the PNP bassinet (it is suspended and doesn't feel as solid) and DH couldn't fall asleep with her in our room in the Arm's Reach (he's a very light sleeper and she was a noisy baby), so ultimately we only used the crib. I sold the Arm's Reach on Craigslist for the same price that I bought it and ended up using the Graco PNP as our downstairs changing station (but she still never slept in it).

HTH! Good luck!

sadie427
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Welcome! I just adopted DS #2 (DS1 was bio) from the US. We traveled to another state to get him, met him when he was about 24 hours old, happy to answer any more questions, feel free to PM me.

There's also a similar thread on the "adoption" part of the board.

Are you traveling to pick up the baby? If not traveling, I would definitely get a pack n'play w/ bassinet. In fact I would definitely get one anyway, that's what we've used for both babies to sleep in in our room the first 8 weeks +. We just didn't travel with it for DS2.
We brought the Eddie Bauer brand travel bed which is available at Target for about $40, but mostly coslept while we were in the hotel room.

Right now he's in a pack n'play w bassinet in our room, we'll move him to the crib in his room when he starts going a little longer between feedings. I'm a big fan of those for newborns in general--more economical than buying a separate bassinet or cosleeper because you'll want the playyard feature for occasional use when he/she is older and you need to put them somewhere safe for a minute while you're cooking, etc. I'd recommend the most basic model--you need the bassinet feature, but no mobiles, changing tables, etc.

I don't see the advantage of a cosleeper over a pack n'play w/ bassinet because the baby's still pretty far away--if they are a fussy baby who's only calmed by your touch and heartbeat, a cosleeper's not really going to help much.

srhs
04-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Congratulations on the news and hope everything goes well!

I'll throw in my .02 and say that I think you can use just a PNP with bassinet in the beginning. If you get one with wheels, you can roll it into your bedroom if you want baby sleeping in the same room.

Same thing with just a bassinet, but the PNP will have a much longer lifespan of use. With the bassinet, though, you could likely easily find someone to lend you one or resell cheap because they have such a short life. (12 lbs, maybe?)

Whatever you end up with, if you don't buy brand new, be sure to check the recalls as there have been plenty.

Lila
04-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm going to be a new mom, but I agree with Smiles - I like having options - the papasan seat, the mini cosleeper (which everyone seems to love) a PnP - I'm not getting my crib right away, as I plan to sleep in the same room as the baby for the first 4-6 months, but I think having a few options on hand, researched ahead of time (and everyone here is giving great advice) is a good idea.

bigpassport
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies! It really is perplexing all the things that are made for a baby to sleep in. Now I need to go to BRU to start looking at some of these things. I'm also going to a As They Grow consignment event this weekend, so maybe I'll find a bargain.

Lee

DietCokeLover
04-22-2009, 05:08 PM
How exciting! I love adoption stories! (I used to be a birthparent counselor for an adoption agency).

I would go for a pack n play that has a bassinette. I think you will get the most use out of it. Even when you are ready for your baby to go to the crib, you will have the pack n play to use when you travel or go over to gma's, etc. We have a Graco that we have been very pleased with.
If you have friends who have a bassinette that you could use, you could go that route, but I believe they only go up to 15 lbs or so, so I wouldn't invest in that.

Best wishes to you!

KBecks
04-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Any of the things you mentioned would be fine. I just saw the co-sleeper in a blog, the nice thing is that it is small.

http://likemerchantships.blogspot.com/2009/04/arms-reach-mini-co-sleeper-bassinet.html

Her son is about 5-6 months now.

misshollygolightly
04-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Congrats and keep us posted! I have to say I don't think you could possibly go wrong with a pack-n-play. Baby should be just fine in the bassinet part of the PNP for the first several weeks, and then could sleep in the lower part of the PNP for a while if you're waiting on a crib to arrive or something. Plus, the thing is superhandy for traveling, keeping mobile babies safe and contained (indoors or out), naps, etc. And, as some previous posters have mentioned, PNPs have good resale value AND they take up very little storage space (in case you encounter any delays or anything, heaven forbid!). You can keep the PNP in your room, near your bed (perhaps not quite as close as an arm's reach co-sleeper, but still pretty close), OR you can set it up in baby's nursery. Lots of possibilities. I think the PNP is probably your most practical option, and I don't think you'd have any regrets with it, even if you ultimately decide you'd also like a crib and/or co-sleeper.

jren
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Congrats! We just adopted our second 5 1/2 months ago. We were like you, only bought the bare minimum until we were sure. We had to travel and stay out-of-state to pick up baby - and before TPR was signed, so though we had a car seat installed, it still had the tags on it. Had to cut the tags off in the car right before we went in to pick him up and only 15 minutes after TPR was signed. We just couldn't believe that it was actually going to go through for a second time for us.

Anyway, we used a bassinet - 5 in 1 type thing. The bassinet part came off the stand and there was a changing table under it with storage baskets under that. It was perfect. He stayed in it for almost 3 months until we got the crib set up.

For clothes, those footed sleepers are fine - just the light cotton ones like Gerber sells in a 3 pack. They're not expensive, but you'll need to wash them before you know for sure. I had some other, better quality clothes that I had tags on and washed once we had him home. Also some onesies, diapers, wipes, some bottles and a few burp cloths and receiving blankets and that's really all you need. Very little is needed right off and you can always do a big shopping trip once he/she's home. And usually the hospital will send formula home with you or at least have him/her already on a certain brand, so I'd wait to purchase that until you're on your way home.

Oh, and you need a car seat already installed. Hope everything works out for all involved!

nicanddrew
04-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Both our kiddos slept in the pack n play in our room for about 3 months after we adopted. Granted they were slightly older babies who were grieving, but I'm sure a PNP with basinette would work great for you and then you can figure out a crib later.

Induced lactation with both babes--totally doable if you want to and much easier with a newborn! You might want to find a good lactation consultant nearby and talk about options. Most use the Newman Goldfarb protocol and need a supplementer in the beginning (Lact-Aid or Medela SNS)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I suggest a cosleeper for bonding, or if your bed is big enough, a Snuggle Nest so baby can be right in the bed with you.

I will encourage you to breastfeed. Especially since you will be bringing home a newborn. Check out the protocols at asklenore.com and try it. I am inducing lactation for our baby who just came home at 6.5 months. We have been home for almost four weeks and she just nursed for the first time yesterday. I've been pumping and feeding her breastmilk in a bottle and then in a Lact-aid supplementer threaded through the bottle nipple and held over my nipple. (because she was used to a bottle). But with a newborn you can start with the Lact-aid directly over your nipple.

Breastfeeding is also good for bonding with your baby, and the nutitional benefits are well studied. Try it! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.