PDA

View Full Version : School security

KrisM
04-20-2009, 10:48 PM
DD's new dance class is in an elementary school in a nearby city. I was completely shocked that we were able to just walk in and down the halls to the ballet room. Never had to enter an office, check-in, or anything. Is this pretty typical?

SnuggleBuggles
04-20-2009, 10:51 PM
We have to be buzzed in and then sign in with the office. This is a charter school.

At his private k we had to know the secret code to get in.

Beth

JTsMom
04-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Most of the elementary schools I've been in have signs that say you should check in at the office before going anywhere, but in reality, anyone could just walk in. However, if you were walking around without a name tag/pass on, you'd probably be stopped by someone.

LarsMal
04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I take DS to speech therapy at our elem once/week. The door is unlocked, but we are *supposed* to stop in at the office and sign in/out. All visitors are supposed to wear a yellow sticker, too, with our name/date/reason. The SLP gave me a laminated one that I carry on a keychain and have out with me as I walk down the hall. The substitute teachers have to wear a pink sticker.

I know they have security cameras in the ceiling, too, but if someone was running in there to do some harm, they could easily get in the building through the front door, run past the office and...ugh...don't even want to think those thoughts!

The rest of the exterior doors are locked, but I was surprised that the front door was left unlocked and we didn't have to get buzzed in.

egoldber
04-21-2009, 06:28 AM
We have to be buzzed in and then sign in with the office.

This is what Sarah's school does. Except, they don't make you do that during dropoff and pick up times, so go figure. As my husband says it's "security theater".

nfowife
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
is it after hours? Most schools have much more relaxed security policies after the students go home for the day. Also, it is likely that the ballet program rents space from the school- so the school is not responsible for providing staff to enforce security measures if it is an after-hours program not run by the school.

maestramommy
04-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Our elem. school has a check-in lobby. You have to sign in, let the receptionist know who you are seeing, and she calls them. You then fill out a visitors pass, and she buzzes you in. Pickup and dropoff is all outside the school. You drive up and your kid is taken out or buckled in. I was told this was all implemented after 9/11, sad to say.

bnme
04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Our school won't let you in without signing in. There is always a person seated at the locked door (you walk into a 'lobby' and there is a glass wall/door that is locked). And you have to have a reason for being there. If you are dropping off your child you are not allowed to walk them to their classroom. They call the teacher (or have a list) of guests expected. It's such a bottleneck at dismissal time, and you must have ID to sign your kid out. But I am glad for the added protection. The high school is similar, though not as strict since there are a lot of offices there that people may have appointments in (preschool services is located there, etc). But you sign in and get a hall pass. And I have been asked where I was going/redirected when I walked down the wrong hall.

This is a suburban area. Very low crime, etc.

AJP
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I truly hate that I could just walk in a few minutes before dismissal when picking up my niece from her public school. I hope that there would be more security during the rest of the day. Thankfuly she won't be attending here in the future. My babies will be attending a different school...hope they arent so lax about this!!!