PDA

View Full Version : Baby Jogger City Micro

swissair81
04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
http://www.letsgostrolling.com/strolling-along/2009/04/20/lightweight-strollers-revisited-baby-jogger-to-release-city-micro/

Sounds really cool. I better not mention it though. My dh will go ballistic. I just pestered him so much about getting rid of my Indie. Ok, and before that I pestered him about my Switch, and... oh nevermind. I just won't think about it.

MamaKath
04-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Sounds great, but I wonder if the canopy may end up a deal buster for some folks. I think that is part of what draws moms to the Mini. Wonder what they mean about pics floating around the web, I can't seem to find any, lol.

lorinick
04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I'll wait to see it inrl. But I love the City Mini and I don't think I would be willing to part with the sun shade.

swissair81
04-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I must've missed that part, but I certainly agree. I think the best part of the BJs are the canopies and the fold.

mrsjde
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Before I purchased the Micralite last night~ I had sent an email to BJ to see when the Micro would be available. This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting the Baby Jogger Company. I was able to find out that the Micro should be available the first week of July. This is a tentative date and is subject to change. I do hope this information is helpful and please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a great day!!

SomeoneLikeYou
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I think whatever they do, they need to keep that canopy along with that fold with all of thier strollers, I don't like the idea of them deviating from what gives them the edge in the market. How much could one more panel on the canopy weigh?

codex57
04-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Depending on how light it is and how skimpy the new canopy is, I think it could work. What's the competition? The Mac Triumph and Volo? If it's light enough, with that fold, it's still got a big advantage presuming the canopy isn't too skimpy.

PeppyParents
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi,

Based upon current info from Baby Jogger, it looks like the City Micro canopy will be comparable to most compact umbrella strollers (e.g., Volo or Triumph).

It looks to share the frame of the City Mini.

No specs yet for weight.

I actually see the Micro as a great companion to a full-size Baby Jogger City Classic, Elite, or Summit. The Micro can serve as the quick errand stroller for $160.

One added value is that the City accessories for the click-on bracket will also fit the Micro... like bumper bar, child tray, etc. Not sure if the Micro will accommodate an infant seat.

Fun stuff!

elektra
04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I want one in a double!

PeppyParents
04-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes, as of information we hear from BJ, the single and double City Micro will be available in early July.

codex57
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, as of information we hear from BJ, the single and double City Micro will be available in early July.

ohhhh.... do I keep my BJCMD or return it and check out the Micro?

ehh, I think I'll keep the Mini. Can't give up that canopy.

elektra
04-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Sweet! I think this will be the perfect complement to my BOB Duallie. :cheerleader1: I suppose I should actually see at least a picture of the thing first though. ;)

purpelina
04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
The real deal braker for me is the width. That was the reason I didn't buy city mini. Its the same 23 (or even 24) inches wide as city ceries, and doesn't zip through narrow aisles like MANY other strollers do, not just obvious maclarens. the seat on BJ city mini is a bit narrower and stroller is certainly shorter than city series, but overall it felt like too much stroller for a quick errand. But the fold IS amazingly fast and compensates this somewhat. Now, when it's folded you don't know what to do with it, because you can't flip it on your shoulder like a ma, it doesn't stand on its own like uppababy g-lite or peg or inglezina, it doesn't even just stay closed, like a bee or good ol' graco. You also can't really wheel it behind you, like again mac, or buggster. So the only option is to carry it in your hand. And that's when 17 or so lbs are way too much.

If the width of micro will be say 21", that would make more sence for a really lightweight stroller. I would even want a 20". There are plenty of situations when that extra inch is important.

I also agree that they should leave a three panel canopy, but maybe make it of a more lightweight fabric. it'll be a "mall stroller", and canopy won't need to be that sturdy to block wind, but it has to be generous enough to shade from bright lights and curious little old ladies.

swissair81
04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Sweet! I think this will be the perfect complement to my BOB Duallie. :cheerleader1: I suppose I should actually see at least a picture of the thing first though. ;)

For some reason they didn't want pictures getting out. wonder why?

Melaine
05-28-2009, 09:56 PM
I know this is old, but I missed the thread and just stumbled across some pics. I am intrigued...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/verysheri/3506791612/in/set-72157617674810305/
http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-421/Baby-Jogger-City-Micro/Detail

Then again, I promised never to buy another double stroller. :-)

Snow mom
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, Melaine. I had completely forgotten about the thread.

newtonj
05-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Here's another picture showing a side by side comparison of the canopy on the mini and the micro
http://babychic101.blogspot.com/2009/05/baby-jogger-city-micro.html

According to these listings, the Micro and the Mini both weigh 16.8 pounds so I'm not quite sure I see the benefit of the Micro....

http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-185/Baby-Jogger-City-Mini/Detail

Maybe the specs are wrong?

PeppyParents
05-29-2009, 11:48 AM
According to these listings, the Micro and the Mini both weigh 16.8 pounds so I'm not quite sure I see the benefit of the Micro....

http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-185/Baby-Jogger-City-Mini/Detail

Maybe the specs are wrong?

Hi - yep, those are the specifications straight from Baby Jogger on the Micro. We were hoping to see at least a little weight shaved off, but BJ says that the strollers are the same weight.

The benefit of the Micro - as we see it - is a lower price point and slightly smaller fold. So if someone is using it mainly as a car errand stroller that doesn't need great sun protection, it might make sense to buy the Micro over the Mini.

So it'd be an awesome companion to a City Classic or Elite, especially since the accessories are interchangeable for 2008+ models; including the infant seat adapter.

At least that's how I see its positioning. The City Micro definitely isn't a best choice for an all-around stroller, compared to the Mini.

elektra
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
The fact that it is not lighter than a Mini is a deal breaker for me. Bummer! So weird it's not lighter.

strollerqueen
05-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I've actually heard that the Micro is HEAVIER than the Mini, due to the steel frame. The "lighter" refers to the price. This is the same thing Dreamer did last year, with their new Manhattan "Lite". It was actually heavier than the original, but Dreamer said the "lite" part referred to the features, as in , light on features.

skohng
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I've actually heard that the Micro is HEAVIER than the Mini, due to the steel frame. The "lighter" refers to the price. This is the same thing Dreamer did last year, with their new Manhattan "Lite". It was actually heavier than the original, but Dreamer said the "lite" part referred to the features, as in , light on features.

wow, that stinks! i was looking forward to an 11-14lb-ish BJ to abuse on public transportation. a 3-wheeled, true one-hand fold, one-hand steering, and decent canopy (pics make the canopy look slightly better than on typical umbrella strollers) AND carseat compatible..... i knew it was too good to be true. oh well.

WatchingThemGrow
06-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I called BJ to ask about something else and they said it is weighing the same as the Mini, but it doesn't have a full recline like the mini.

neeleymartin
11-02-2009, 11:01 PM
i know this thread is old, but... anyone actually get this one? curious about how you like it.

i am looking for a single stroller for quick errands to complement my bob duallie. tia

jacksmoma
11-02-2009, 11:17 PM
i'd skip the micro and get a mac or a mini...i like the bjcm better but it's much more full featured and a few lbs heavier than a mac :)

neeleymartin
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
i'd skip the micro and get a mac or a mini...i like the bjcm better but it's much more full featured and a few lbs heavier than a mac :)

is the mac volo worth it? the other models are just more than i want to spend.

we are trying to find a cheap umbrella that is not cheesy. tia

codex57
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Define "cheesy"? The Mac volo is "cheesy" in my mind. As in, when I see one at the store, I think, "you want how much for that thing?!?"

PRmommy
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
If you are OK with the smaller canopy, less padded seats, and slight recline on the Micro, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You're still getting the great BJ fold.

neeleymartin
11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
If you are OK with the smaller canopy, less padded seats, and slight recline on the Micro, then I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You're still getting the great BJ fold.

i was hoping that someone would say that. the bj micro is so reasonable. and with coupon at albee baby it is pretty cheap.

happymom
11-03-2009, 10:43 PM
i was hoping that someone would say that. the bj micro is so reasonable. and with coupon at albee baby it is pretty cheap.

I thought the coupon doesnt apply to baby Jogger...check the fine print. I may be wrong.

neeleymartin
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I thought the coupon doesnt apply to baby Jogger...check the fine print. I may be wrong.

i actually put it in my cart and went through the checkout, just before submit order and it took it off. :bighand: still on the fence about another stroller and this one in particular.

smcdonald2
11-04-2009, 06:57 PM
is the mac volo worth it? the other models are just more than i want to spend.

we are trying to find a cheap umbrella that is not cheesy. tia

Have you looked at the keekaroo Karoo? It's like a Mac Quest for the Volo's price. You can see reviews on Amazon and Overstock.

sweetsoul99
11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Check out the chicco c6. It doesn't have the best steering, but it's cheap, has a decent hood, and can handle some fairly rough sidewalks.

I checked out the micro, looks exactly like the mini, but a little more compact since it has smaller wheels. If you don't need the canopy, it would probably work find. My only gripe is how wide they are, that's the only thing stopping me from trading the chicco in for a bjcm.