PDA

View Full Version : ipod touch as gps

alexsmommy
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Does anyone here have an ipod touch they use as a gps? I was going to switch to at&t at some point b/c they have much better controls on teen phones/texting than the non-existent ones for my current carrier. We are going to get DSD a phone at some point but she has shown us in a million ways she does not have the self control to not text during school hours or after bedtime etc. I thought of not getting her texting, but it would nice when I am somewhere where I can't talk the phone to be able to text her and she honestly wants the phone in large part for texting. Since I am looking into this I considered getting an iphone for myself which led to reseach... which led me to find out that coverage by me stinks. Lots of dropped calls, people not getting service inside of buildings etc. I have had only two dropped calls that I can remember in over 13 years with my current carrier. So instead I am now thinking of getting the ipod touch for me and just keeping my old phone - but one of the features I would like in my next phone would be gps. If I just keep my current phone, I am wondering how well does the touch work as a mobile gps?

niccig
04-21-2009, 01:18 PM
The iPod Touch can only get internet access when close to WiFi. It wouldn't be much use as a GPS. The Iphone has constant internet access through ATT or Wifi, so that would work. But you'll have the $35/month data plan, and as you've found ATT doesn't get great coverage where you are - it's really not worth it then. DH has an iPhone but we dont' get service in the house, despite their website saying it's GREAT coverage there...no bars at all. It doesn't bother DH too much as he's at work during the day. But for me at home, it would be a waste to have an iPhone and not be able to use it for most of the day. I'm getting an iPod touch for Mother's Day, I really want to use it for the applications, music, games for DS etc. I'll keep a normal flip phone for phone use.

For GPS, you could look at Garmn etc. to have in your car. My car has GPS built in, and I use it most days...I'm hopeless at directions, remembering where places are etc, and it helps me get around backed up LA freeways, I can get off at an exit and it recalculates my route.

alexsmommy
04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks - I figured there was some catch...
I would really like a cell phone GPS because of the ease of taking it with me no matter what vehicle I was driving.
Now I'll have to rethink things.
Freakin, fracking at&t I live in a major city - I was just stunned at how many complaints there were about the 3G network. I use my phone for work so I can't risk constant dropped calls.

niccig
04-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Freakin, fracking at&t I live in a major city - I was just stunned at how many complaints there were about the 3G network. I use my phone for work so I can't risk constant dropped calls.

I hear you. We're in LA, and get no cell coverage because we're in a canyon. But it's a wide canyon with several hundred homes. Until T-Mobile put in a tower at the end of the road, no cell provider worked. ATT says we have the best coverage on our street, but we have no bars of service, so I don't even believe their web sites anymore.