PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with our baby boy's name!

gobadgers
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
DH and I have been having so much trouble coming to agreement on our soon-to-be DS's name. I thought we had a hard time with DD, but in retrospect we had so many good options. I've been thinking about the names and analyzing them for so long that I don't think I have good perspective any more!

Pertinent information: middle name will almost definitely be Arthur, our last name begins with a T, and DD's name is Lucy. Arthur is heavily represented in both DH's and my family, and while it has grown on me a lot recently, I can't get myself to use it as a first name. I think I just spent too many years thinking of it as a dad and grandpa name.

My favorite, far and away, is Carlton. I'm still trying to talk DH into it, but he can't get past associating it with the uptight rich kid from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Also, we are pretty set on Arthur for the middle name and the initials CAT don't seem right for a boy...

Carlton is in my side of the family a couple times (as a first and last name), David is on DH's side, and the other names are just ones that we both like.

I'd love any advice, and please, be brutally honest! Any important issues I'm not thinking of??

wellyes
04-21-2009, 08:44 PM
It's not the uptight rich kid I think of when I hear Carlton, exactly - it is the Carlton dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ANUkOyDNQ)!!! I'm sorry but it's true. If you love it, GO FOR IT, but Carlton's imprint on pop culture is pretty going strong.... most recently it was "featured" as a challenge in this year's American's Best Dance Crew (MTV's dance competition show).

My favorite on your list is Henry, it is such a classic man's name. I also like Simon, although Simon is a bit more effete than the other options.

fivi2
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I like Arthur as a first name.

Of your list, I like David and Henry equally (so I don't know what to vote for). Carlton reminds me of both the Fresh Prince and the detective on Psych ;) The others aren't for me, but I don't think any of them are bad.

bnme
04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I picked Jason but I may be biased. It's DS1s name.

DeeEast
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
David has always been a personal favorite. : )

elizabethkott
04-21-2009, 09:23 PM
I really like the sound of "Henry Arthur". It's a very strong sounding name, grounded, you know? Maybe because they're both king names, or names that aren't so mainstream anymore... IDK.

sste
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
For some reason its saying I can't vote. Anyway, my pick is "Simon." I love David but I don't care for Dave and almost all Davids end up being called Dave. Henry is cute (and is my beloved dog's name!) but since I named my Henry dog nine years ago, the name Henry has become very trendy in my n'hood. So, I vote Simon as a not common but cool name and also I really like the nickname Si.

P.S. I agree with your husband about Carlton - - probably just because I knew a very wealthy Carlton. I can see choosing it if its a family name but otherwise it would not be my top pick.

MamaMolly
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I really like the sound of "Henry Arthur". It's a very strong sounding name, grounded, you know? Maybe because they're both king names, or names that aren't so mainstream anymore... IDK.

I agree, but my only hesitation is HAT. But if you have to go with initials that make a word, I strongly recommend HAT over CAT and RAT. What about Andrew? Andrew Arthur has a nice ring to it.

srhs
04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Okay, only since you asked, I don't like Carlton and Arthur together, although they are both great names on their own. They just sound so much alike.
Great list, though!

gobadgers
04-21-2009, 09:40 PM
OMG. Wellyes, my unborn son is forever thankful that you took the time to post the link to the Carlton Dance. DH had not mentioned the dance specifically, and I had not heard of it! As soon as the laughter died down and I dried my eyes, I knew that I could not name the poor boy Carlton.

Keep 'em coming!!

jse107
04-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I voted for Jason, but I like David also. I'm generally partial to J names though!

pinkmomagain
04-21-2009, 09:51 PM
i like henry. that said, my dad is actually named arthur simon...so i do have an affinity for that combo too.

KpbS
04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I love Henry. It's a classic. I also like Andrew like a PP mentioned.

WitMom
04-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I didn't vote because I can't decide between Henry, Simon and Vincent. I think Henry and Simon are trending back, but if you wanted to be ahead of the curve, Vincent would be the way to go. I can see that making a comeback, but it's not 'quite' there yet.

I think Arthur is good because it represents both families. I would stay away from any name that comes from just one side or the other. Knowing my in-laws, if I picked a name from my family, they would be offended. If I picked a name from their family, they would gloat. But that's just my situation....sorry, got off on a bit of a tangent.

I love your DD's name...I have a Lucy, too.

rlmomto5
04-21-2009, 11:41 PM
I voted for Henry. It's my son's first name.... however he goes by his middle name Alexander...Alex for short.

Fairy
04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
My favorite, far and away, is Carlton. I'm still trying to talk DH into it, but he can't get past associating it with the uptight rich kid from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

First thing I thought of with a smirk and a giggle was Alphonso Robiero's dweeby character. Too bad, too, cuz it's a nice name. But I'd be with your DH on that one.

I love Henry. Henry Arthur is a pretty regal sounding name!

bubbaray
04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
First thing I thought of with a smirk and a giggle was Alphonso Robiero's dweeby character. Too bad, too, cuz it's a nice name. But I'd be with your DH on that one.

I love Henry. Henry Arthur is a pretty regal sounding name!

:yeahthat:

kijip
04-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Most of these initials spell words, not that is a bad thing (T's initials spell TAP).

J and D are the only ones that don't spell words (unless you count slang- DAT) CAT, HAT, SAT and VAT.

I like Henry and David.

By coincidence, you have a lot of my uncles' names up there, and my Dad's name. :)

gobadgers
04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
It's good to know that DH wasn't just being difficult (which, I admit, is what I suspected!) about Carlton. I really didn't get the Fresh Prince references, and they seem pretty universal! Honestly, being a White Sox fan, the only association I had with the name was the catcher Carlton Fisk. It's such a great name, it makes me so sad. However I'm glad to be in touch with reality :-)

We're considering Karl instead, a name I really like for adults. But I'm just not sure how it sounds for a baby/kid.

Thanks for all the help so far!

LBW
04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
DS1 had a good friend named Karl, and I always thought its was a great little boy's name as well as a solid man's name. Karl Arthur is a little hard to say (because of the ar...ar sound, I think). However, I rarely say my kids' first and middles names together.

Of the other names you listed, I love Henry and David, and I think they both sound great with Arthur.

Ladybug47
04-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Kellen has a similar sound to it as Carlton. Or, if you're into the "K" variations, I think Kevin or Kurt sound pretty good with Arthur.

ha98ed14
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Me too! Henry Arthur works well. I love it! You said to be brutal: I hate Carlton. It reminds me of the college and while that is fine, I don't see it as a name for a child, unless you were to call him Carl.

amandabea
04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with you DH and several of the PPs, that Carlton reminds me of the kid from Fresh Prince of Bel Air. That said, I like Henry and Simon in that order.

trentsmom
04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I am obviously older than a lot of you! I had briefly considered Carlton for DS2, but I kept thinking of the Mary Tyler Moore Show - "Hello. This is Carlton your doorman." Wasn't a negative in my eyes, but it did make me smile!

The Review Mommy
04-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I had a hard time voting! I like Henry, Simon, and Vincent. No to Carlton for many reasons. No to Jason-I grew up in the 80's and every boys name was either Jason or Ryan/Bryan... David is just everywhere-Henry is another classic that I like better. I adore Simon and Vincent-actually really cool. I like Vincent (Vinney?) with Lucy for some reason.

Fairy
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
No to Jason-I grew up in the 80's and every boys name was either Jason or Ryan/Bryan...

. . . and Kevin and Brad and Kyle and Matt and Dave and Mike and Liz and Lisa.

gobadgers
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Wow, this is eye-opening. I thought I'd looked at the names from every which way, but Carlton College and the Mary Tyler Moore Show hadn't even crossed my mind. Thanks for the feedback - and especially the brutal kind!

Our name dilemma has gotten so strange. Both DH and I really want to include Arthur in the name - my father, uncle, grandfather, DH's father, grandfather, great-grandfather and stepfather (AND DH) all have Arthur as a first or middle name (!). I really have gotten to like the name, but I just can't do it for a first name. That leaves us with the middle name, which is a little difficult because as a couple posters have mentioned, most combos of initials will spell out words. But I can't imagine not using it. So, that's where we've landed...

I've made so much progress thanks to all the BBB help so far. And, if I start to stress out about it, I'm just going to go watch the Carlton Dance again to put it all in perspective :-)