PDA

View Full Version : back to BF

Sweetum
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
My almost 12 week old stopped feeding from my breast when he was 4 days old - he would cry and scream and simply refuse to BF. Even the sight of my breast would get him going :( I then started to exclusively pump for him. Due to supply issues, I started to take supplements, and increased the number of pumping sessions, and am now able to give him about 60-70% of his feed.
I tried to get him to my breast a couple of days back, and he didn't protest! yay!! But then he didn't stay there either - I felt that that was because my milk didn't come fast enough and he lost his patience. I didn't want to push him, so I tried a couple more times, he sucked but then pulled away, and I then I gave him his usual bottle. So, the next day I pumped till letdown and then put him on my breast. He sucked hard again, but I don't think he was getting any milk (couldn't hear any swallowing), and pulled away again. I'm wondering why this is happening - he seems to be sucking hard, and the latch is very comfortable for me, but I still don't hear him swallow and he definitely isn't sticking to it (although he's not crying or resisting my breast - yay to that again!). Has anyone had a similar problem and worked out a solution? If so, I'd love to hear what you did and/or your suggestions.

-SunshineAndMe

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
A mom on my due date club relactated but was never able to nurse exclusively. But, she had never breastfed. Since you have been pumping you just need to boost your supply. I would do the basics like more water and lots of oatmeal. Maybe some herbal supplement (feng...spelling is alluding me).

What I would also recommend is an SNS- Supplemental Nursing System. It is a tube that you attach to your breast. You fill the tube with formula or breastmilk so that when he latches on he will be immediately rewarded. he will get his food while your breast gets stimulation, which we know is what you need to get your supply up.

GL!!
Beth

egoldber
04-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Have you seen an LC at all? Have they evaluated his latch? One thing to think about doing is a weighing (with a digital scale) before and after feeding to see how much he is truly getting at the breast.

kijip
04-22-2009, 02:35 AM
I often can't clearly hear a swallow from F but he is swallowing (based on weighing and that he is draining/softening my breast).

I second the SNS idea in your situation. Also, when you need to give a bottle try doing it after nursing and then breaking a little from feeding, rather than reinforcing the idea that getting off the breast means getting a bottle immediately.

And it's probably a good idea to make sure your bottle nipple is one of the ones best for breastfeeding babies- not too easy to suck.

Good luck!