PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go "cold turkey" to cow's milk?

SomeoneLikeYou
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
If so, how did that go? I'd be interested in reading both successful and unsuccessful stories. TIA!!!

nellonello
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM
We tried with DS and it led to horrible constipation. We had to gradually wean him to cow's milk.

elephantmeg
04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
yes. But with DS it took several months for him to get to the point of drinking more than an oz or 2. He would drink yogurt mixed with milk so we did that for a while. Now he is a straight milk guy and lots of it! DD is a little over 13 mos and is drinking 4ish oz milk at a time and still nursing some too.

hillview
04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes at 12 months with no issue x 2.
/hillary

elektra
04-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes. Cold turkey for us. I never put cow's milk in a bottle. At 12 mo I was still nursing mornings and nights only, and DD was getting 3(?) formula bottles a day. A few weeks after her first birthday we just went straight to cow's milk in a sippy. We had already been doing water in a sippy and she took to the milk in a sippy just fine. I was a bit concerned that she wasn't drinking as much as what was in the bottle but we also did yogurt and such and she eventually drank more and more milk.
We weaned from nursing just after 13 months too.

jren
04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes. By the time DD was 12 months, she was already off bottles. We just switched the formula for milk in her sippy cup. No problems, except that she had a milk intolerance and we had to use soy milk for another year.

SnuggleBuggles
04-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Ds is breastfed and I can't get him to drink cow's milk at all. He only nurses 1-2 times per day so I want him to have something a bit more since there are days he doesn't eat as much as others.

Beth

emily
04-23-2009, 03:12 PM
We went cold turkey the day after her one year checkup. She usually drink about seven 4oz bottles of boobjuice/formula day. That first morning, I couldn't get her to drink more than 4 ounces of regular milk but by the end of the day, she was downing 4-5 ounces at a time. It's been about a week since the transition, and she's up to the max recommended 24 ounces per day.

I was worried about constipation but hasnt been an issue so far. I make her food at home and she gets at least two meals of mixed veges cooked with either brown rice or barley so I'm sure that helps.

Now if only I could get her to use her sippy.