PDA

View Full Version : Mastitis...(and strep throat)

KBecks
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM
So today I have a red triangle streak on my breast. Yesterday I did massage and heat and nursing and the breast softened up in a lot of places but it's still hard in one area.

I was tested for strep throat Monday aft. and started penicillin for that.

Now, which doc do you call for mastitis, ob or regular?

I have been feeling bad since Fri but feel more energy today.

Wife_and_mommy
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm so sorry, Karen! I would think that the penicillin you're on will take care of both. I'd call the OB since he might be more familiar with mastitis.

Hope you're feeling better quickly.:hug:

mamaoftwins
04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Yep, call the OB. I believe that penicillin is the first choice for this, I took cephalexin b/c I'm allergic to pen. I also took ibuprofen to help with the inflammation, and heating pads helped (IIRC).

Sorry you're dealing with this! Mastitis is awful. Hope it clears up soon.

KBecks
04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks, I decided to call my general doc because there was another question I needed to ask her about (the walk-in clinic nurse practitioner said I have a heart murmur) and so I left a message there.

I have been trying to work on this plugged duct thing. Dangle nursing made me feel like such an old lady, it was achy to get down on all fours over the babe to nurse. And Johnny wants to take turns with the hot water bottle, he likes it.

poppy
04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Take lecithin supplements 2 to 3 times a day (can get a big bottle for less than 8 bucks at Walgreens in the vitamin aisle), warm/hot showers, massaging spot toward the nipple, with your thumb. It hurts really bad but I almost had mastitis but I got it to go away w/o antibiotics by doing this. I went to my OB. The lecithin really works wonders. Never got another plugged duct with this even though I missed pumping sessions.

bubbaray
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Keflex is what I used for mastitis. And, yeah, lecithin too. I'm pretty sure that penicillin d/n work on mastitis....

I've had it 6 times. NOT fun. Big hugs to you.

firsttimemama
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
that sounds like hell - sending hugs & healing thoughts to you!