PDA

View Full Version : Job Application ?s

schums
04-23-2009, 01:28 PM
A good friend told me about a job she saw on CL. No, not what you're thinking! :wink2: Anyways, it's a part time gig that fits my qualifications exactly. I want to apply, but am concerned about safety, especially in light of the murders on the East Coast. There isn't a company name, which seems odd, but it doesn't look like any of the jobs listed there have contact info other than the anon CL e-mail addy.

On to the question. Should I send a cover letter via e-mail stating my qualifications, and offer to send a resume upon request? Or is this a HUGE turn off to a legit company looking for help? Would it be better to provide a "sanitized" resume (no last name or address, only cell phone info and yahoo e-mail, etc.) when I inquire about the position?

TIA!

jgenie
04-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I would send a "sanitized" copy and send a more complete resume when I received more details about the job. GL

kijip
04-24-2009, 01:10 AM
I never respond unless I know who I would be working for. In part because I work in a field where, unless I had no other options, I am not working for a place unless I really want to work on that mission. In part because I am skeeved out by sending my personal info to unknown places. I would respond with a general note that you are interested, outlining your fit for the job and asking for the name, location, website etc so you can make a full application.

schums
04-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I never respond unless I know who I would be working for. In part because I work in a field where, unless I had no other options, I am not working for a place unless I really want to work on that mission. In part because I am skeeved out by sending my personal info to unknown places. I would respond with a general note that you are interested, outlining your fit for the job and asking for the name, location, website etc so you can make a full application.

This is what I did, but I'm a little worried. Normally, I wouldn't expect a hiring manager to even look at a cover letter without a resume attached, but I don't want to give too much info without more details on the job, company, etc. This job is a great fit for me, given my background and education, so I'm just worried I might have shot myself in the foot by not sending along more than a cover letter, KWIM?