PDA

View Full Version : obligatory mother rant ;)

MontrealMum
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Will someone please explain to my mother (who is visiting) that with cable the word "local", as in the phrase "Your local forecast" ,refers to the city from which the station is being broadcast, and not the city that she's actually in! We do not have NBC, ABC, or CBS in Canada. However, they are magically carried on our cable stations since airwaves do not stop at the border ;) Strangely, none of these networks have the telepathic power to guess that she is sitting on a couch in Montreal, however, rather than Lake Placid, or Detroit - where they are broadcast from. I am just getting a little sick of hearing about irrelevant weather forecasts. Not a really a bitch, I know, I am just tired.

Thank you for your time. That is all. :)

JTsMom
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
:rotflmao:

MontrealMum
04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks :) I know this isn't really a real "b*$%&" but I swear, someone is going to get hurt if I have to explain why we have to watch the weather report again before we go out! I love Al Roker, really I do, but he doesn't do Canadian forecasts!

Gena
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
LOL! Just to let you know that you are not alone: when I was a kid and we went away on vacation, my mother always complained that the "local" news reports and weather forecasts did not cover our home city & state. She still has a hard time understanding that her local NBC, ABC, and CBS channels are different numbers than my local network stations. She will call and tell me "Turn on channel 2 right now! You have to see this!" and doesn't realize that her channel 2 and my channel 2 are completely different networks.

MamaMolly
04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Has she discovered the Weather Channel? Cause baby, just you wait until she finds that one! She can have an endless supply of moment by breathless moment updates on the weather *all over the WORLD*!! :banghead: :13: :30: Now how's that for irrelevant?

ha98ed14
04-24-2009, 12:47 AM
This is funny. She's either a real creature of habit or she is having some serious senior moments not realizing the Detroit weather is for Detroit and not Montreal. I hope it's the first, for your sake AND hers!

Neatfreak
04-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Oh, that would drive my batty!

That sort of reminds me of my mom when she visits us in Thailand. She'll be watching tv with us, and keeps asking, "I wonder why I don't get this channel at home?" ... Like the 50+ decent channels she gets are somehow not as good as the eight english-language ones that we get.

All of my most recent memories of my grandfather involve the weather channel being on in the background.

egoldber
04-24-2009, 06:37 AM
LOL!!! My MIL does that too sometimes. We now get our local stations, but back in the dark ages of satellite TV we did not and it was very confusing sometimes.

Now what does sometimes get *me* is when we are watching a show that we DVRd days or even weeks ago. I'll say "OMG it's gonna be 20 degress tomorrow!!! And DH says "Duh! That was in February!" :hysterical:

ThreeofUs
04-24-2009, 08:10 AM
LOL! How funny! I'm sure my mom would have done the same thing.

kransden
04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
That's too funny!