PDA

View Full Version : How long on Abx to feel better?

DrSally
04-23-2009, 10:19 PM
DS was diagnosed with strep on Wed morning. We started abx that morning and now he's had 2 full days of the meds, but still has a fever. Granted, it's down to 101.5 (from a peak of 103.7), but wondering if it's normal to have a fever 33 hours after starting the antibiotics?

Momof3Labs
04-23-2009, 11:18 PM
IME, about two days, but is there a chance that the fever is a virus (something the abx won't touch) vs. from the strep?

DrSally
04-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, possibly. We're on day 3 today, I'm going to take his temp after wonderpets. He still looks a little ragged and is very edgy. I think he may have a bad cold with strep on top of that. He started on Sat with coughing, sneezing, runny nose, which I understand are NOT symptoms of strep.

His fever started Monday 101.9 and spiked on Wed at 103.8. We've been on antibiotics since Wed noon. I'm thinking that even if the strep is being treated successfully, he's still got the cold/virus symptoms to deal with. Fun, fun.

I'm thinking of going in to get tested today, as last night I had the worst nausea for no reason. That's a sx of strep, right? I wonder if I should get DD tested eventhough she doesn't have any symptoms just to be safe? She's 8 months.