PDA

View Full Version : Constant severe migraines, need help

SammyeGail
04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi. I started having them when I was a senior in HS, not very often, once every 3-4 months. Stayed that way until I was 20, they became more frequent and longer, I remember they would last 20 hours, you could almost time it, lol.

At more stressful times in my life i would get them more often, or with sinus problems/infections. They would last no longer than a day or so, rarely longer. In early 2004 I started Imitrex and it was a miracle drug. I had to lie down for an hour or so after I took it and flet a little funny for a while, but the migraine was gone. My twins were born 11/05, I wasn't able to B/F, when I got a migraine the Imitrex still worked, but as time passed it didn't work as well.

About 2 years ago they became much more frequent. Imitrex didn't work its magic anymore. dr. put me on topomax and referred me to a nero. I didn't like him and didn't go back but still took the topomax. I was only taking 25mg a day and maxalt for abortive medication, it worked well.

My mom passed away last November, the migraines boomed, I had one for 6 weeks on and off, mainly on. Went to see my Dr. in January, he said I should be on a higher dose of topomax, gradually got me up to 100 mg a day but I couldn't take the 50mg in the AM, it made me to sleepy/lightheaded, so I went back to 25mg in the am. currently my Maxalt works maybe 1 out of 5 times. I have resorted to Lortab 7.5 broken in 1/2. That was working but I don't like taking pain killers. Its not doing anything for this migraine right now, I even took the other 1/2 after 3 hours.

So for the last 5 months I have had a migraine more than not having one, like 70/30. They last for days, last one was 5 days and I caved and got a shot. Had 3 good days then caught this virus, this mirgaine started yesterday. I've taken 2 maxalt, xanax, pain killers. I have a call into my dr for a shot but he won't be back from lunch for another hour or so. DH will have to take off work and take me in for it since I can't drive myself home. I feel so bad because he went in at 4AM because he had to take DS to school this AM since I couldn't.

Sorry to ramble and vent, lol, its the lortab.

Anyone have migraines this bad and find relief? I have an appt with a new Neru on 5/8, I CANNOT wait!!

Do they write scripes for the shots? I have no problem giving myself a shot, I did 2 Invilto Fertilization cycles, I've given myself plenty of shots : ).

thanks,

Samantha

ThreeofUs
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I had them that bad. Turned out to be allergies/intolerances, esp when I was stressed.

Since I got my diet straight, the only time I have migraines is when I eat something "off diet" by accident. I was really amazed, because I thought allergies would only have a little to do with the headaches, but for me this did it.

DietCokeLover
04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
I have them, but not nearly as bad as you do. I'm so sorry!

Have you tried going to a chiropractor? Just wondering if you have an alignment issue or if even something like accupuncture might work for you? I've never tried this, but I've heard others getting positive results. Also, You might want to check with an orthodontist, if you have TMJ, that could be the cause as well and stress can definitely aggravate TMJ.

Sorry, no good answers, just trying to explore other possibilities for you.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Karenn
04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
I had them that bad. Turned out to be allergies/intolerances, esp when I was stressed.

Since I got my diet straight, the only time I have migraines is when I eat something "off diet" by accident. I was really amazed, because I thought allergies would only have a little to do with the headaches, but for me this did it.

The same has been true for a good friend of mine. She eliminated almost everything from her diet and pinpointed soy as a trigger as she slowly added food back in.

Indianamom2
04-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Wow, I am so sorry for you. I get the occasional migraine (usually with my cycles) but when I'm pregnant they get crazy. I had a terrible time with them during the first part of this pregnancy (2-3 a week, each lasting about 1-2 days). Once I finally got into the second trimester, the OB put me on Verapamil (a calcium channel blocker more typically used for high blood pressure).

I haven't had a since one since. Maybe it was coincidence, but it's a different route to consider.

Good luck.

Christina

pinkmomagain
04-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Just curious how you went about pinpointing your allergies/intolerances. Did you do them under the guidance of a dietician/dr or using a book? How long did it take for you to figure out offending foods?

BabyMine
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I have had them since high school. They have caused seizures, blindness, and other great things. I have been on topamax but had to many side effects. My neurologist gave me migranol. I love it. It is a nasal spray you use when a migraine comes on. You can only use it twice in a week 72 hours apart.

http://prescriptionmigrainerelief.com/HTML-INF/index.shtml

graciebellesmomma
04-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I had nowhere near what you are experiencing, but mine started out as menstrual migraines. I'd get them the night before I got my period. That was for about a year. They I started getting them when I ate chocolate or had red wine or ANYTHING with MSG in it. Also processed lunch meat with nitrates. Had to cut out salami and hot dogs, etc.

I cut that all out in November and am happy to say that I am doing well. As well as one can do without chocolate, but the pain was incapacitating, so chocolate was just not worth it.

I do get the beginning of them around my period still, but I find that if I drink half of a coke and take 3 ibuprofen, I can nip it before it lasts for 3 days. I don't drink caffeine, so it shrinks down the blood vessels that are swelling and causing the pain. supposedly.

I'd really start with diet. Research what the normal triggers are for migraines and go from there. Start a food journal and I bet you will see a pattern.
Here's a link to some info.
http://www.helpforheadaches.com/articles/migraine_food_triggers.htm

I'm so sorry that you are suffering so much.

SASM
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Sorry...I haven't read the responses but have you ever looking into massage therapy or the like. There is a particular modality (non-touch) that deals with migraine treatment...the name escapes me. If I can think of it I'll post. I just can't google right now. Good luck!! HUGE hugs to you, mama. Sorry for the loss of your mom. :(

graciebellesmomma
04-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Acupuncture is also very helpful!

ThreeofUs
04-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Just curious how you went about pinpointing your allergies/intolerances. Did you do them under the guidance of a dietician/dr or using a book? How long did it take for you to figure out offending foods?

I would have LOVED to have had an expert on the journey with me, but the medical folks I started with were unhelpful and when I moved here I didn't have the network to ask about a good practitioner.

The problems started when I was in California, living in a place with a bad mold problem. I was basically told that I was either (1) a hypochondriac or (2) unhappily married, LOL! No tests, nothing but grief and drugs from most of the doctors, and my body was doing awful things - seriously falling apart. Then the endo I was seeing (Diana Schwartzbein) suggested I was allergic to my environment and I should move.

I moved and got somewhat better, but still had major problems.

The idea that the allergies didn't click with me until I started charting what I had eaten and how my body felt in a journal. A milk allergy leapt off the pages at me, and so after that I started being careful about what I ate and what my body told me after I ate it.

I have gone to allergists since then, had all of my findings confirmed, and also found out I was sensitive to other things I hadn't been able to isolate (onion, parsely, chamomile, cantaloupe, etc.).

So I guess it's taken me about 7 years to figure the basics out and accept that I would have to change my diet permanently. It was hard for me to accept.

A good gastro doc I found out here told me to respect what my body was telling me, and to heck with anyone who didn't believe that a body could do what mine was doing. She also said that all she could treat was symptoms, and that it was my job to find out the cure.

Probably TMI, but that's briefly how I got to where I am now. A lot healthier, with most infrequent migraines, but really constrained on what I eat.

newmomto1
04-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Hi. I started having them when I was a senior in HS, not very often, once every 3-4 months. Stayed that way until I was 20, they became more frequent and longer, I remember they would last 20 hours, you could almost time it, lol.

At more stressful times in my life i would get them more often, or with sinus problems/infections. They would last no longer than a day or so, rarely longer. In early 2004 I started Imitrex and it was a miracle drug. I had to lie down for an hour or so after I took it and flet a little funny for a while, but the migraine was gone. My twins were born 11/05, I wasn't able to B/F, when I got a migraine the Imitrex still worked, but as time passed it didn't work as well.

About 2 years ago they became much more frequent. Imitrex didn't work its magic anymore. dr. put me on topomax and referred me to a nero. I didn't like him and didn't go back but still took the topomax. I was only taking 25mg a day and maxalt for abortive medication, it worked well.

My mom passed away last November, the migraines boomed, I had one for 6 weeks on and off, mainly on. Went to see my Dr. in January, he said I should be on a higher dose of topomax, gradually got me up to 100 mg a day but I couldn't take the 50mg in the AM, it made me to sleepy/lightheaded, so I went back to 25mg in the am. currently my Maxalt works maybe 1 out of 5 times. I have resorted to Lortab 7.5 broken in 1/2. That was working but I don't like taking pain killers. Its not doing anything for this migraine right now, I even took the other 1/2 after 3 hours.

So for the last 5 months I have had a migraine more than not having one, like 70/30. They last for days, last one was 5 days and I caved and got a shot. Had 3 good days then caught this virus, this mirgaine started yesterday. I've taken 2 maxalt, xanax, pain killers. I have a call into my dr for a shot but he won't be back from lunch for another hour or so. DH will have to take off work and take me in for it since I can't drive myself home. I feel so bad because he went in at 4AM because he had to take DS to school this AM since I couldn't.

Sorry to ramble and vent, lol, its the lortab.

Anyone have migraines this bad and find relief? I have an appt with a new Neru on 5/8, I CANNOT wait!!

Do they write scripes for the shots? I have no problem giving myself a shot, I did 2 Invilto Fertilization cycles, I've given myself plenty of shots : ).

thanks,

Samantha

I AM SO GLAD I AM SEEING THIS!!!
I could have written your post.
I am getting ready to go to bed, so will try to make this brief...but here is my history in a nutshell:

Started with migraines at age 18
I am now 42
In that time I have tried the following preventatives (I am sure I'll forget some, but these are all the ones I remember):
Topamax
Tenormin
Magnesium
5-HTP (still take)
Verapamil (on it now...started in a few months ago)
A few different antidepressents...the names are escaping me at this time
Feverfew

Abortive meds I've used:
Medrol dose pack for prolonged attacks
Fiorcet
Migranal
Imitrex (like you, worked GREAT at first, then stopped working)
Maxalt
Diclofinac
Compazine (yes, a nausea med...but can help with migraines too!)
Zomig
Axert? (I think that's the name...it was a sample & didn't work for me)

Okay, I know there are more...but I wanted you to get the picture that I have "done it all!"

I won't knowingly eat anything with MSG or MSG-like products in it.
I don't drink red wine.

I do EVERYTHING I can to prevent headaches.
But...up until about TWO weeks ago I was having daily headaches:banghead: .

I am talking headaches that would put me on the couch or bed with an ice pack. I was taking maxalt or zomig every day many times along with compazine & diclofinac. I felt drugged & exhausted all the time! Very hard with kids!!!!

I know this will sound crazy (I thought it did too), but I read about a product called sinus buster & decided to give it a try.

It is a drug free nasal spray. The active ingredient is capsaicin which is what makes cayenne pepper hot. I am also a nurse and remember when working in the hospital that capsaicin creams would often be used topically on patients suffering from neuropathy pain. So, I know there was something to it, but didn't really believe it could help my headaches (because hello...I have tried EVERYTHING!)

So, about two weeks ago, I was suffering a headache that had lasted about 4days. I could not get rid of it even with all my meds & I felt like %&$#! This is when I accidentally stumbled on to information about this product.
I drove 30 minutes to the closest "Vitamin World" store (the only place around here that carries it) & bought a bottle.
Went straight to my car & used it. Within minutes I was feeling better!

This crazy pepper spray has been a miracle for me! :yay:
After 20+ years I am finally starting to feel normal & not drugged!

PLEASE PM me if you want more info.
Here's the website:
http://www.sinusbuster.com/
You can learn all about the product there & read the testimonials.

I have since ordered a few more bottles on line. I do NOT want to be without it...ever!
Now, when I feel a headache coming on, I use it & start to feel better. I did have one really bad headache last weekend that required all my abortive meds...but we ate out & I am pretty sure I got a big dose of MSG.

Just FYI, they have sinus buster & headache buster (specifically for migraine). I started out with the sinus buster b/c that's all they had at the store and it worked great. I have since used the headache buster...it works great also, but not necessarily "better" than the other (for me). So, if you can get your hands on either one or both of these...TRY THEM! You have nothing to lose.
When I ordered on line I got them within a week.

Also wanted to mention, I see you take xanax. I know everyone is different. But I have taken xanax in the past (to fly because I REALLY don't like to fly!) & it triggered headaches for me. But, I know a lot of people say it help their headaches too.

I hope this help you! Again, please feel free to ask me any questions!!!!!

Okay, I guess I didn't make this brief...but I really hope this helps & you start ot feel better. :hug:

Migraines seriously can suck the life out of you!!!!!!

Melbel
04-25-2009, 08:48 AM
I have also suffered from migraines since a 1994 car accident, but not nearly as bad as yours. I have used Imitrex, Maxalt, Zomig, etc. I have also tried various preventative medications, including Topamax but had severe side effects. My two favorite migraine remedies include phenergan from a compounding pharmacy that you just rub into your wrists for nearly instant relief from nausea and vomiting. For prophylactic prevention of migraines, I have had great success using high doses of vitamin B2 (riboflavin). It is a water soluble B vitamin, so it cannot hurt to try. If you google riboflavin and migraine, you will get plenty of hits. Here are a few:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15257686

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/50/2/466

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2003/Oct/vol49-oct-critical-1.asp
Bottom line - High-dose riboflavin (400 mg) is effective for migraine prophylaxis (NNT is 2.8 to decrease attack frequency by 50%).
High-dose riboflavin appears to be safe and to have relatively few adverse effects.

http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/437/

HTH!

bt0510
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM
My mother used to get migraines once every few months, for years. She had gone to doctors, who never found anything and gave her medication. Her dentist is a family friend and she mentioned it to him. He did extensive x-rays (I guess extensive meaning more than normal with more angles) and found that she had two teeth where the stems were slightly growing into each other, putting force on them. My mother decided its worth a shot to see if that was it, so they removed one and no more migraines.

erosenst
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
DH has VERY frequent migraines (not unusual to have 3-4 a week). His are atypical, as they don't cause nausea (usually) or light sensitivity (ever) -but they're still bad.

He finally started going to a neuro about 18 months ago, after it got so bad that he drove himself (don't ask) to the ER for one. He's cycled through a bunch of drugs, and kept a headache diary for three months. (I knew they were bad when he actually KEPT the diary...) He's tried a few things, including Imitrex, that basically do nothing. He's had the most success with Fioricet - not prevention/total relief, but at least back to only "uncomfortable". And he's fortunate that the Fioricet doesn't knock him out at all, and that he doesn't need to sleep them off. But the whole thing still sucks.

Interesting about the pepper spray - may suggest that to him....

Emily