PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, sick kids Q

Nu_mama
04-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a 3 1/2 yo and a 1 1/2 yo both of them were sick over Easter weekend...high fevers 101-104 mucousy cough, no throwing up. They got over it in about 1-3 days. Since then they have both been exposed to strep from two different sources. Yesterday ds comes home from daycare having thrown up 1 time and fever of 102. Has not thrown up since but now both kids are sick with same symptoms. They went to doctor today with DH and both had strep tests. Doc says not strep, just a cold. I just got home and DD sounds like the most disgusting hacking mucous cough I have ever heard and temp of 103.8.

This does not sound like cold to me, but IDK what to do???

Any advice or opinions? TIA!

Momof3Labs
04-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Cold or virus, either way there's not much that they can do. But you do have to watch out for secondary infections (ears, lungs) that can start up after being sick for a while.

Whenever the boys are very congested (incl the mucousy cough), we head into the bathroom for a steam-fest. It really does help.

bubbaray
04-24-2009, 04:39 PM
:yeahthat:

My DD#1 pukes every time she has a fever. Niiiice.

We use cool mist humidifiers and, when they are in a crib, angle the crib mattress.

GL. Looking after sick kids is not fun.

DrSally
04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
DS has strep and a bad cold right now. I guess anytime there's a fever over 101 for 3 or more days (wo/other cold sx), they suspect strep. Maybe make sure the follow up culture is negative to strep as well. Our first rapid was negative and the follow up was positive.

Nu_mama
04-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Thank you all. I'm sure I was a little too worked up when I first posted. They are following up with cultures, but I haven't heard yet. Sooooo frustrating when everything pointed to strep! Oh well, tomorrow is another day!