PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Know If Your Nose is Broken?

vejemom
04-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Dumb question, I know. But somehow I have gotten through my entire adult life unscathed in this department until today. I was opening the barn doors to air it out. They are huge sliding doors, but have a human-sized door cut into them. You go through the small door and open the sliding door from the inside. The small door swings inward - really dumb design. I was in a rush, thought I had pushed the small door shut, but it swung open and caught me in the face.

It hurt for a minute, but no blood and there didn't appear to be any swelling. Either the pain subsided, or I was just too busy running around after the girls to notice. Now it hurts, though. Kind of a dull pain that increases when I scrunch my nose or open my mouth. Does this sound broken? Do they actually treat broken noses, anyway? I'm just a little worried because I'm vain and don't want a bump :wink2:

ThreeofUs
04-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Broken noses that result in bumps often, but not always, present with gobs of blood and swelling. I've heard folks say it feels like your face is going to fall off.

Doesn't sound like that's the case with you, so (even if the bone is cracked) I'm betting no bump.

Hope it feels better soon!

tracerx
04-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I have broken my nose multiple times, which is amusing because I've never broken anything else. I am just a klutz!

Anyhow, the first time I was knocked unconscious and was younger so I don't remember any real bleeding/swelling etc. That was a bicycle accident.

The subsequent couple of times varied in terms of the amount of blood (one time a whole lot, another time none at all). I could tell it was broken mostly because of the sound when it happened (crunching noise), and because my nose/center of face would go all numb (I think my nerves in that area are deadened from the first time I broke my nose). Then later it was evident I had broken it because of scar tissue buildup, crooked nose and breathing issues caused by my deviated septum. Lots of fun.

Anyhow, you are right in that they don't treat broken noses except for applying some ice, and then if you end up with some of the complications like I did you have the option of a septoplasty/rhinoplasty to try and address those issues.

Hope that helps a little.