PDA

View Full Version : Ugh- here come the bugs.

gatorsmom
04-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Obviously the ground is thawing because I"ve been finding WAY too many bugs around here lately. Big spiders (well, big for Minnesota- not like the spiders you folks in Texas get to enjoy! :D), ants, and now, tonight I just saw a centipede. I know they inhabit in the same place for many years but this centipede I saw in a spot I've never seen them before. great- a new centiped family taking root here. :(

I whine about the depressing, grey Minnesota winters but I LOVE that I don't see any bugs for those 5-6 months of the year. And I was bit by a mosquito yesterday. sigh.

KrisM
04-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Yes, I woke up to ds coming into to say we have ants in our family room. Great. DS2 crawls and puts everything in his mouth. Yum.

Do you guys get those enormous wolf spiders? I lived in the western UP of MI for a while and those were just awful.

happymomma
04-25-2009, 07:41 AM
I totally know what you mean. for the past couple of days, the ants have been coming into the house. I hate ants. I've been putting out the ant traps but it keeps them at bay for a bit and then they come back when it rains again. I also noticed that yesterday it was really buggy out. Lots or nats at DS' T ball practice. I can feel that the misquitos are coming back. I hate misquitoes. They are attracted to me like a moth to a flame.

infomama
04-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh those wolf spiders are friggin scary and FAST.

JTsMom
04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
I feel your pain. I found a SECOND black widow yesterday. It was in almost the exact same spot I found the first one. :cry: I'm going to get some glue traps, but I'm terrified about what will be on them. I hate bugs, and am counting the days until late fall.

gatorsmom
04-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Yes, I woke up to ds coming into to say we have ants in our family room. Great. DS2 crawls and puts everything in his mouth. Yum.

Do you guys get those enormous wolf spiders? I lived in the western UP of MI for a while and those were just awful.

Yick, yeah, we have wolf spiders. However, after living in TExas for 5 years, i can honestly say, our northern wolf spiders are almost cute compared to some of the nightmarishly big spiders I saw down there. Still thinking about them makes my skin crawl. oH, and I understand about the babies eating bugs. Greenbean ate a spider 2 days ago. He's discriminating though. If the bug is moving, he talks to it. Only if it's dead does he eat it. :bouncy:

Joy of joys it is nearly time for the mice to try to move in too, to build their nests. At least the glue traps do double duty.

frgsnlzrds
04-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Yuck. I feel your pain. The difference between a suburban 3rd floor apartment and a house in a rural are near a river are staggering. Spiders are taking over my home, and I saw THREE garter snakes curled up on my porch when I got home today. Again, I say: Yuck.

maestramommy
04-25-2009, 02:54 PM
So far I've found what looks like two very tiny millipedes, a carpenter ant, and a couple of dead bees in our house. It's supposed to be black fly season right now, luckily I haven't see any yet. Dh and I just went to the store and stocked up on DEET!

GlindaGoodWitch
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
The mosquitoes get so thick around here some days I can't even go outside.

Anyone know anything about those bug machines? We've been thinking about investing in one for a while, but after reading most of the reviews, I'm almost thinking that we'd just be throwing our money away.

(And if we're gonna just throw money away, I'd rather do it on a pair of shoes or some ridiculously overpriced concealer to cover up the bite on my face.)

Melaine
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM
DD had a TICK on her this week. I was relieved to see it still alive and kicking (with head intact...*gag* sorry TMI) after I pulled it out, but definitely gave me the heebie jeebies.

manda
04-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Okay, so not near as bad as some other bugs I've seen recently, but we have grasshoppers everywhere. I hate them. You never know where they will jump/land. Blech.

maestramommy
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
and I saw THREE garter snakes curled up on my porch when I got home today. Again, I say: Yuck.

Actually, garter snakes are non venomous, usually not aggressive, and eat a lot of the "pests" we are talking about. As long as your kids leave them alone, they could be useful. In fact, could you send them over? Maybe they could get rid of the moles that are infesting our yard:p

shawnandangel
04-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Actually, garter snakes are non venomous, usually not aggressive, and eat a lot of the "pests" we are talking about. As long as your kids leave them alone, they could be useful. In fact, could you send them over? Maybe they could get rid of the moles that are infesting our yard:p

:yeahthat: We have a large amount of garter snakes who take up home in our blueberry bushes every year. I love them! The most I saw outside last year was 10 (at once) It was so cool to see them sunning themselves. Anyways, I didn't have ANY mice last year! Hurray!

My DD also had a tick on her this weekend! DH pulled it out, head and all but I was so shocked! I pulled off her dress and there on her chest was this . . .ugh . . . tick.

We have a mosquito machine and it works really well. We can sit on our front porch in the summertime. It only works well if you start it early in spring though. We didn't start ours until about June last year and we were already infested. We emptied the tray out about once a week, but there were so many it just didn't work as well as it had in previous years.

trales
04-27-2009, 08:53 AM
The black flies our out in force at my house. Ahhhh. I did not finish getting the fence in before they came out. Time for the head net.

I put on my rain gear last night to finish up some work outside and a huge wolf spider crawled down my back. It was the size of a small mouse. I know they are not dangerous, but they are hairy and huge. Even the dogs were scared. My fault for leaving my raingear in the shed to dry out after a hike.

KyMama
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
My 11 y/o niece has had 3 ticks so far and I woke up last week to a Black Widow beside my head!. I hate spiders!

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I put on my rain gear last night to finish up some work outside and a huge wolf spider crawled down my back. It was the size of a small mouse.

I would have to be hospitalized (institutionalized) if that happened to me.

trales
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
I came very close. I hyperventilate as it is when I see spiders. I am still recovering from this one.