PDA

View Full Version : Reusing bottles and pump for DC #2 questions

elektra
04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
I used the playtex nurser bottles for DD with the drop-in liners and those worked well for us.
I can reuse all the nipples right? Or should I just buy new?
The actual bottle part (in case anyone is not familiar) doesn't actually touch the milk, it just holds the drop in storage bags, so I think those will be ok to resuse. They do have BPA though and I am wondering if I should just buy some new ones because of the whole heating in the dishwasher issue....

And then for the pump, should I buy all new tubing, horns, etc? I was thinking I might need to do that to get a better pump output with the new phlanges and all that vs. it being some contamination issue.

pb&j
04-25-2009, 09:16 PM
This is what I did - ymmv, of course.

I bought all new nipples for DC2.

Since the nurser never touches the milk in any way, there is no concern about BPA. I have reused all my old nursers.

For the pump (PISA), I kept the horns, but got new valves and membranes. I change the membranes monthly. They're what make a big difference in output - the age of the horns makes no difference. I actually ended up getting new horns b/c apparently my right side has shrunk and I found I got better output with the smaller (21mm) breastshield on that side. I am also now using the soft-fit breastshield on the other side. But I have my old set as backup.

For the tubing, I got new b/c I melted part of one of the tubes in the microwave when I was trying to sterilize, doh!!

elektra
04-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing what has worked for you. The more I think about it (and the more I look closely at the nipples) the more I am leaning towards getting all new nipples.
I have a PISA too, and you're right it makes sense to get a set of new valves at the very least, and I'll probably get new tubing too. I'll probably just wait on the horns though. I am thinking that if all goes well again with BF, I may not even pump much at all until I go back to work. But I want to be prepared in case I need to boost supply in the beginning and then of course for the occasional bottle.
I am not looking forward to pumping again!