PDA

View Full Version : s/o if you hired a land surveyor, what makes them good?

american_mama
04-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Sorry to post another thread, but I didn't want this question to get buried in my other post.

If you have hired a land surveyor, what makes one better than the other? In my post about a land dispute, somone suggested getting a good surveyor. Agreed. But sre there differences in how they do their job? My understanding is that when the house was built, irons were usually placed in the ground at the four corners of the property, and a surveyor just finds them using a metal detector or maybe latitude/longitude notes from the neighborhood plat. That seems like there would be little variation in what one surveyor does compared to another.

Is there something I am missing?

WatchingThemGrow
04-26-2009, 07:28 AM
sounds like what I've done - mine had a good attitude and a good schedule and a good salary. Not sure how else to compare. Seems like a pretty straightforward job as long as they find the stakes and don't guess.

o_mom
04-26-2009, 07:39 AM
I think it depends on how old your neighborhood is, if there is any variation to the lot and how diligent they will be. We had a staked survey for a fence install and went with a company that had a guarantee that it would be accurate or they would pay to move the fence. Call around to several places and ask the procedure and cost.

In a newer neighborhood, where the control markers are in the street, not disturbed or paved over, the corners are not buried, it was not a huge cost. Older neighborhoods where they didn't have control markers or they were paved over means more work if they have to chip out the asphalt to reach them, or if they are disturbed by something like a snowplow they have to take additional measurements. If the corner pins look like they are disturbed, they have to go to the next lot and measure, etc. If you are on a pond it makes it more difficult as well. The guy who did ours told me about a lot in an older section where he had to measure from the railroad tracks that were nearby because that is how the lot description was recorded.

The fees also varied based on if you wanted a drawing as well as the stakes. Fees ranged from $500-2000 for the same job - some just quote a flat rate and don't account for your neighborhood or lot so they charged the same for our newish lot with no issues as for an older lot on a pond, for example.

So, all that to say - call around and get a feel for the different people. Make sure they are licensed. Check Angie's List and the BBB if you can.

ETA: When we put the fence in, we put it about 3 inches into our lot so that it would be clear that it was on our side of the line, but not leaving a bunch of land on the other side. Our HOA wanted it 6-12 inches in to avoid disputes, but we had some very large trees that made that impossible.

ThreeofUs
04-26-2009, 08:13 AM
If you think the stakes are there, borrow a metal detector and look for them.

If you want a new survey, I'd look for one on Angie's List, as o_mom said. Frankly, if you're trying to settle a dispute, and don't already have the blueprints for the house with the lines marked, I'd also get a drawing.

GL!

pinkmomagain
04-26-2009, 08:43 AM
When you bought the house, was there an updated survey done? And how long ago was that? I'm asking because I'm thinking that maybe you would want to have a drawing survey done AFTER the fence is moved so that if you decide to sell in the near future, it would be desirable to have the new fence on the survey. And you might not want to pay for two drawings within a short period of time. Maybe just have them come out and stake the property lines and have a fence guy lined up and ready to go shortly thereafter so the fence placement is accurate.

scrooks
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I would make sure they are a licensed professional surveyor.

And whatever their prices is, ask them to provide a list of what they will provide back to you. And ask how they will be charging you. Is it a flat rate or an hourly rate? It could make a difference if you property corners are hard to find. You make check with your attorney and find out legally what you will need.

I would also go on word of mouth. If you know someone else whose had a good experience that's probably a good indicator. I work with surveyors for my job and they are just like anyone else in any other position. Some are good and through at their job and some are not!

trales
04-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you know anyone who works in environmental consulting, or the town or state. When I worked for a consulting firm definilty had opinions on who was good and bad.

I would look to see how many times their surveys have been ammended or rejected. Some applications are always denied, it is the same firm doing the work.

They should be using GPS, sight lines, flagging tape, maps and records from the city, your deed etc. They should be checking the old survey not just using a dector to find the stakes. A good survey will look at known area landmarks and work from there measuring distance etc.

Pardon the spelling I have a little helper on my computer today.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm a civil engineer, and often review land surveyor's plat and legals. Here's what I would do:
1) make sure they're registered in the state that you live in
2) get references
3) check references with the City that you live in. The staff can't give recommendations, but they can generally tell you if the land surveyor you're thinking of using is known for having to come back with multiple revisions.

In CA, where I live, it should cost around $1k to $1500. If they need to send a survey crew out to do a boundary survey, that'll cost more. Depends on how old your subdivision is and how well maintained the survey monuments are.

HTH

american_mama
04-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the advice. Our lawyer gave us the names of some surveyors and specifically recommended two, but warned they may be quite expensive or not do residential. I haven't called any yet.

Our other neighbors hired a surveyor for a fence two-ish years ago and were kind of happy. The company just used metal detectors, as I recall, and had to make a repeat trip to find one iron that was nearly lost in a manhole/paved drainage easement, which will probably be an issue for us as well since the ditch runs along our property too. I am wondering if their persistence makes them good, or if their inability to find it the first time and using just metal detectors makes them bad.

Our house and neighborhood were built around 1965. The lots are fairly regular. We did not have an updated survey when we bought the house in 2005. Based on my research at the city assessor's office and city clerk's office, the only info. about our plat is a neighborhood drawing of the street from 1965ish, which has some dimensions and latitutude/longitude notes that I assume mean something to an expert. There is also a very simple drawing of our house and lot, with measurements, in an application for some building permit that was done as part of the original construction. I guess that doesn't count as a true drawing of the property.

So I guess I will ask potential surveyors what they offer in terms of a drawing and what methods they would use in my neighborhood. And I'll call the attorney recommended places first, and maybe see if I can pump some friends or city employees for info. about reliable surveyors.