PDA

View Full Version : Dressing as Princess?

DeeEast
04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm reading through lots of threads here and seeing that some little girls dress up in princess dresses to go to Disneyland. Do they wear the dresses all day? Change clothes after the character meal?

egoldber
04-26-2009, 10:38 AM
This is a very popular thing to do and very adorable. BUT. In your case, with your whole trip in mind and the amount of luggage and trekking you are doing, I wouldn't pack one. JMO.

jench
04-26-2009, 11:15 AM
It depends on the kid, of course, but the whole princess/dress up was a very important part of it all for our DD who just turned 4 (we were at Disney World). Sometimes she wore the dress up longer, but mostly just wore them in restaurants or when we were going to meet princesses.

As for packing, I was able to roll up the dresses, even the biggest, puffiest ones, and put them in Ziploc bags and squeeze all the air out for packing. So if you just "need" one, you wouldn't use too much extra space. As long as you don't need accessories, too, LOL. (we didn't bring any) Have fun!!!

Jen

new_mommy25
04-26-2009, 01:55 PM
I bought the Little Adventures dresses based on recs from this board. They aren't as puffy as DD's Disney Store dresses. I think they will fit nicely into a gallon sized ziplock.

DeeEast
04-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Where do you get the Little Adventures dresses? Also, where did your DDs change in the park if they didn't wear the dresses all day? And what did you do with the change of clothes while walking through the park for the rest of the day?

egoldber
04-26-2009, 04:01 PM
At WDW, I just had her change in a bathroom. There was usually quite an assembly line of little girls changing in there LOL!!! I pack them in a Ziplock bag and just throw it in the stroller basket.

Karenn
04-26-2009, 07:20 PM
We got a Little Adventures dress off of Ebay. Search "little adventures" and it should come up. DD really liked it. She did wear it all day on one of the days we were there. It was comfortable enough that she really didn't need to change into something else. I did hem it up so it was tea length instead of floor length though.

DeeEast
04-26-2009, 09:32 PM
We got a Little Adventures dress off of Ebay. Search "little adventures" and it should come up. DD really liked it. She did wear it all day on one of the days we were there. It was comfortable enough that she really didn't need to change into something else. I did hem it up so it was tea length instead of floor length though.

Interesting. Because I am trying to decide what size to buy. We have 2 DDs, one who is 3.5 and wearing 4's right now. The other is 5.5 and wearing 6's. I'd rather get one size so that they can each wear the dresses. Do you think I could get away with the size medium (3 to 5) for both girls and that the dress would just be a little shorter on my older DD? She is awfully skinny (both girls weigh the same @40 lbs.) so other than the length I wouldn't be worried about the size.

Karenn
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Interesting. Because I am trying to decide what size to buy. We have 2 DDs, one who is 3.5 and wearing 4's right now. The other is 5.5 and wearing 6's. I'd rather get one size so that they can each wear the dresses. Do you think I could get away with the size medium (3 to 5) for both girls and that the dress would just be a little shorter on my older DD? She is awfully skinny (both girls weigh the same @40 lbs.) so other than the length I wouldn't be worried about the size.

Hmmm. I ordered a medium for my 4.5 year old who is wearing 4's & 5's and it really was perfect floor length for her before I hemmed it. She's not quite 40 lbs yet, around 37 I think. The bodice is made of stretchy material. It didn't seem snug on my DD at all. So you might be able to get away with a smaller dress for your older girl. I'm not sure.... I think they had measurements somewhere, maybe on the actual Little Adventures website?

DeeEast
04-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Hmmm. I ordered a medium for my 4.5 year old who is wearing 4's & 5's and it really was perfect floor length for her before I hemmed it. She's not quite 40 lbs yet, around 37 I think. The bodice is made of stretchy material. It didn't seem snug on my DD at all. So you might be able to get away with a smaller dress for your older girl. I'm not sure.... I think they had measurements somewhere, maybe on the actual Little Adventures website?

My oldest 5.5 year old DD is at least 42 inches tall, but judging from her latest growth spurt, she's probably closer to 44 or more? But if it would just make the dress tea-length, that might work.

infomama
04-27-2009, 04:33 PM
DD1 dressed as Ariel for an entire day. She was over the moon. When we took her to the BB Boutique and had lunch with the princesses she dressed in her Cinderella dress. She decided it was too hot after about an hour (after the lunch and whatnot) so she just changed into shorts.

Corie
04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
I brought a few dresses with us plus the matching glittery-sequin shoes
and some rhinestone hair barrettes & glittery headbands.

My daughter would have been so upset if she wasn't dressed in her
princess attire.

bubbaray
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
I can't imagine doing DL or WDW with a princess-loving girl and not having a costume. Trust me, its a LOT cheaper to take one with you than to buy in the park. And pretty much every other little girl at DL is dressed in a princess costume.

We just got back last night from DL and DD#1 wore her Sleeping Beauty costume all day the day she had her Bibbity Bobbity makeover and our lunch with Ariel. DD#2 wore her costume for a little over half the day. I had them dressed in shorts and t-shirts underneath (it was about 70F that day), so if they wanted to take the costumes off, they still had on princess t-shirts underneath. Both girls wore the costumes to the park (we stayed at the HoJo, about 5 minutes walk away). I didn't see any princesses changing at the park except those who dressed at the Bibbity Bobbity Boutique (but most were already dressed for there too).

I HIGHLY recommend the Bibbity Bobbity experience. I can't recommend that enough.