PDA

View Full Version : for those of you that are "pear shaped" and over 30 years old, where do you shop?

happy2bamom
04-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Since having children, I have no idea how to dress myself. My hips have always been disproportionately larger than the rest of my body, but now I have a bit of a tummy too. I feel like a lot of the clothes out look too young for me and are too tight to the body. I like shopping at Marshall's but it is such an eclectic bunch of clothes there, that I have no idea what is current or how to put an outfit together.

I've tried shopping at Cold Water Creek, but I feel like those clothes are too old for me. I need some direction, please........ I'd like to find clothes that flatter my body shape and that are age appropriate for me. TIA

lizajane
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
try the "curvy" styles at ann taylor loft and the gap. i find that i can pick out pretty much anything at ann taylor loft and feel like i am appropriately dressed for a 33 year old mom, while still looking like i have some sort of fashion clue!

Fairy
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Depends on your size. The Gap has alot of clothes that go to 2X and/or Size 20. I shop there a ton. I also love Torrid. I do basics at Lane Bryant when I can find one, as they're all closing these days.

My favorite clothing line is XCVI. They do regular to plus sizes, and they are DA BOMB. They're pricey, but worth every penny. You can get them at Nord's and Bloomie's, as well as find deals online. Their styles are great for younger and older; they just seem to go for everyone. And they fit like buttah. I can't say enough about them --> http://www.xcvi.com/

WitMom
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I feel your pain. My hips are at least one full size larger than my waist. Shopping is a totally horrible experience. I just went to Ann Taylor Loft yesterday, and I can second them. I just got two pairs of pants....They are the "Julie" style, and I love them. Here they are.

http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=16397&Ne=13&loc=LN&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_206&N=1200261+4294967037&Nty=1&categoryId=206&defaultColorNameFromCategory=True%20Navy&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=16586&Ne=13&loc=LN&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_206&N=1200261+4294967037&Nty=1&categoryId=206&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Pebble&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

I also got a pair of dressier capris at White House, Black Market. I've never shopped there before, so I don't know how their clothes generally run, but these worked for me.

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=20&pageId=1&viewAll=&productId=300112873&prd=Legacy+Cropped+Linen-Blend+Pant&subCatId=cat210064&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=3&catId=cat210003&cat=Pants+Crops&colorFamily=&maxPg=3&size=

I have had mixed luck at Eddie Bauer, but they do make a style that is larger in the hips and smaller in the waist. I believe it is called "Blakely". Like I said, I've had mixed luck, but it might be worth a shot.

Another thing to try is zafu.com. You answer questions about your body type, and they make specific recommendations for jeans/pants for you.

jent
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I have had mixed luck at Eddie Bauer, but they do make a style that is larger in the hips and smaller in the waist. I believe it is called "Blakely". Like I said, I've had mixed luck, but it might be worth a shot.

I was going to suggest these too-- they're the 1st pants I have that fit me pretty well. Land's End is not very stylish, but they do have some curvy styles-- I got a pair of corduroys last fall that are pretty decent.

Thanks for starting this thread-- I didn't know ATL had curvy stuff! I haven't shopped there in a while, but I'm going to take another look.

3blackcats
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Lucky Brand jeans work for me. I do like the Ann Taylor Loft stuff as well. I agree with PP about Eddie Bauers Blakely fit. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

MontrealMum
04-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I am also over 30 and pear-shaped. I have found:
-Banana Republic Jackson fit (replaced contoured fit)
-Ann Taylor Margo?
-JCrew Favorite Fit (totally reengineered recently to actually fit curvy bodies)
They all go up to a 14 at least, and some to a 16 I think.

Eddie Bauer has something too, maybe the one pp referred to? But we don't have them here so I don't remember the name. Land's End can be OK but be aware that they seem to run small. I've always had to go up one full size wherever I was in my weight. Liz Claiborn and Tommy Hilfiger can sometimes be good too - it's hit or miss with those.

I asked a very similar question about jeans a few weeks back...that thread is here (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319335&highlight=jeans+montrealmum) HTH!

egoldber
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I do OK at AT Loft and Lucy. Nordy has good stuff too. I love their Caslon line.

pastrygirl
04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
My favorite clothing line is XCVI. They do regular to plus sizes, and they are DA BOMB. They're pricey, but worth every penny. You can get them at Nord's and Bloomie's, as well as find deals online. Their styles are great for younger and older; they just seem to go for everyone. And they fit like buttah. I can't say enough about them --> http://www.xcvi.com/I recently discovered XCVI at Nordstrom's and LOVE THEM!!! I didn't care that the pants were over $100. They were comfy and looked great. I have some cargo pants that have a thick elastic waist (like underbelly maternity pants) and a drawstring, but you can't really tell. It's definitely not old-lady-style.

Other than that, I haven't really found a brand that I can stick with. I like Down East Basics for layering undershirts, because they are nice and long, and I can bunch them up around my belly to hide a bit of bulge. I like Land's End tops as long as they're not too matronly. I don't fit well into Ann Taylor anymore, or the Gap. Marshall's and TJ Maxx are hit-or-miss.

ltmommy
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
ITA on Ann Taylor Loft. After waiting almost a year for my pre-baby body to come back, I finally gave in and put together a new work and play wardrobe, mostly from Ann Taylor Loft. I love the Julie pants.

I have also had some luck at Kohls for pants (they seem to have a wide range of styles and sizes - I am pear shaped AND short). But I am pretty much guaranteed to find something that fits well and that is age-appropriate at Ann Taylor Loft. So much so that I have to force myself now to just stay away from the stores and website - otherwise I see something and can't get it out of my head, and then I go back and there is something else...

maestramommy
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Well, I used to love Petite Sophisticate, because I'm short as well as pear shaped. But I think they are gone. I've had some good luck with LL Bean and HA, and wandering around Macy's.

inmypjs
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I am 5'8" and a size 10/12. My typical clothing problem is that bottoms tend to be too big around the waist while pulling across my hips/butt.

I've had very good luck with Lee pants, shorts, and capris. I can think of several shopping trips where I've tried many more expensive stores, only to find that the $20 Lees from JC Penney, Kohls, or the outlet fit better! I don't like all of the Lee styles, but can usually find 1 or 2 in any given season that work for me and don't look frumpy. I think they look nice paired with a more trendy top from Loft. I've also had good luck with Chicos bottoms fitting me pretty well, but they are a lot pricier.

The 2 primary things I look for in pants and capris are no back patch pockets (they only make my butt look bigger) and a wide/gaucho style leg, which also minimizes my hips/butt.

Do you ever watch What Not To Wear? I know when I first started watching it, it helped me understand what kinds of clothes flatter what kinds of bodies. They preach that baggy only makes you look bigger. (The show also makes me paranoid to leave the house in sweats for fear of being videotaped LOL!)

Anyway, HTH and good luck!

Editing to add that at Ann Taylor Loft, the Julie (curvy) fit also fits me best!

fortato
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
J.Jill has some pretty nice things... and we have an outlet near us, which makes it even better.

Being short and fat doesn't make it easy to buy clothes that don't fit like a tent...so, I have a very hard finding jeans and pants I love, but I've had good luck with J.Jill and the Gap.

niccig
04-27-2009, 02:18 AM
I feel your pain. My hips are at least one full size larger than my waist. Shopping is a totally horrible experience. I just went to Ann Taylor Loft yesterday, and I can second them. I just got two pairs of pants....They are the "Julie" style, and I love them.

ALL my pants are Julie style from Ann Taylor Loft. Everything from capris, to shorts to suit black pants I dress up for evenings. I don't bother looking anywhere else.

For jeans, I got a pair of Gap curvy fit, and they're OK. But I still need a belt with them...

I can buy tops from a lot of different places. So, I go with pants in basic colour and then I dress it up with tops, shoes etc.

american_mama
04-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Is the Julie fit the same as the curvy jeans at AT Loft? I just went there maybe two months ago and was looking exclusively at their petite jeans. I was not as in love as everyone else... I bought a low rise style that now leads to me doing this "mom hitch" that I see several other friends do regularly. It's not flattering. Their petite lengths are also still very long. Mine eventually shrunk enough in length to be acceptable, but they also shrunk slightly elsewhere and are a bit snug now.

Back to Loft... if you try the curvy jeans, try your regular size and a size smaller. A salesperson said that works for her and it improved the fit for me too.

niccig
04-27-2009, 02:39 AM
Is the Julie fit the same as the curvy jeans at AT Loft? I just went there maybe two months ago and was looking exclusively at their petite jeans. I was not as in love as everyone else... I bought a low rise style that now leads to me doing this "mom hitch" that I see several other friends do regularly. It's not flattering. Their petite lengths are also still very long. Mine eventually shrunk enough in length to be acceptable, but they also shrunk slightly elsewhere and are a bit snug now.

Back to Loft... if you try the curvy jeans, try your regular size and a size smaller. A salesperson said that works for her and it improved the fit for me too.

Not their curvy jeans, they don't work for me either. But the Julie fit in all their other pants, like suit pants or casual pants, that fit works well. These ones
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/category.jsp?Ne=13&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_206&N=1200261+4294967037&Nty=1&categoryId=206

And I can go a size smaller in the Julie fit than the same pant in another fit.

mom2one
04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I just saw posted on the bargain board that Ann Taylor is having 30% off with friends and family right now. Happy Shopping everyone.

Joolsplus2
04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I've found Lands End doesn't have the gap in the back like most pants do, and Lee makes some pants that have elastic around the waist, but you can't see that it's elastic on the outside, I found them at Kohl's. Ever since I tried the LE's I haven't shopped in a real store again until I needed khakis for work, how sad is that? :tongue5:

Beckylove
04-27-2009, 10:24 AM
A couple of surprising places where I have found tops are Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. I used to never go in there because I automatically discounted them as teeny-bopper places, but they have a TON of tops and I have found some very cute $20 tops. I have muffin-top issues and won't wear any top that doesn't hide my mega-sized nursing bra. So that rules out anything low-cut, tight, or sleeveless, and I still felt there was a lot of variety for a budget-friendly price. I love, love Ann Taylor Loft and that is almost always were I go first, but when I don't want to spend $40 or I have already seen everything ATL is selling, I check out those others.