PDA

View Full Version : Foul, Noggin! FOUL!

Fairy
04-26-2009, 11:20 AM
I am fed up wtih Noggin's "programming" between the shows. We Tivo most of what DS watches, and he loves watching the "in between stuff," in hopes of catching the gems, like Story Time, Ebb & Flo, Move to the Music, Cooking iwth Luis, and especially Peppa Pig. Oh, how he loves Peppa. But over the last two years, things have really started to go the way of lazy-ass clips from Dora & Diego disguised as Move to the Music "videos," thinly veiled commercials from Lysol and such, completely age-inappropriate Nick Jr. promos, and now age-WAY-inappropriate Beyonce-infused promos for "Wubb-Girlz" week for Wow Wow Wubsy.

Yay on Beyonce for doing a kids show. Fine. But must the promo begin with a sexily posed concert-ready Beyonce in silhouette, then the lights go on, and she becomes Sasha Fierce? Why? Our kids are 2, 3, 4, 5 years old. Maybe even 6 and 7 depending ont he show. Why on earth would Noggin thingk that this kind of promo would be right for the preschool set? Sure, mom & dad might be into it, and that might be the whole point, I get it. But this channel is not for mom & dad, it's for the kids. And if you wanna grab the parents, which clearly you do, you could have still done it with Beyonce without the first five seconds of the promo (video is here somewhere --> http://www.nickjr.com/shows/wubbzy/index.jhtml).

I know this probably seems like a little thing, but I take it seriously. I don't see why our preschoolers ahve to grown up so quickly by being exposed to pop culture intended for older kids when there are perfectly entertaining, fun, cool, and enriching shows out there that are appropriate for their age? Most of them are on Noggin! I could go on, but I digress.

Boo, Noggin! BOO!

Meh.

vejemom
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Hmm, I hadn't given it much thought, but I see where you're coming from. I wonder if you would get a response if you wrote to Noggin.

On a side note, maybe it is just because I'm a trained singer, but I get the songs stuck in my head and it drives me nuts! I walked around for a couple weeks with the "Moco Jumbie" song on an endless loop through my brain. I swear I hear Moose talking in my sleep!

s_gosney
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
and now age-WAY-inappropriate Beyonce-infused promos for "Wubb-Girlz" week for Wow Wow Wubsy.

Uh yeah, dd saw this yesterday and immediately began pretending to be beyonce and asking dh and I to call her beyonce. Not going to happen. Noggin is supposed to be the place we can let kids watch safely and escape from this sort of thing! I agree Boo noggin!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I've noticed the same thing fairy. There's a HUGE difference between the noggin we watched with dd 3-4 years ago and the noggin now. We've actually started watching more boomerang for the lack of commercials. Noggin used to have that policy but we've all seen how that's worked out.

Honestly I don't understand why they dropped some of the show they used to have oobi,miffy and maisy just to name a few were wonderful and gentle. I wish they'd bring them back.

Fairy
04-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Totally agree, those sweet gentle shows are sorely missing. You can see Oobi ... if you set your tivo for the middle of the night. Drr . . .

And they dropped The Upside Down Show. Double Drr . . .

I do think I'll write.

KHF
04-27-2009, 07:54 AM
I completely agree. When Noggin went to 24 hour programming, I thought "Yay! Now we'll get to see even more variety." Er. No. They took away several of DD's faves (Miffy, Maisy) and now we get commercials for Spongebob SquarePants. Yippee. Heck, they hardly even show the Backyardigans anymore.

DH insists on letting DD watch Spongebob (because he likes it), I hate it though. So I try to make DD forget about it. Hard though, when Noggin has the commercials on every 3 seconds.

We've recently gone away from Noggin and reverted back to PBS Kids when that programming is on (not Sprout...I cannot stomach the Good Night Show) and I have been recording Curious George and Martha Speaks for when it's not on at a good time. We also watch Boomerang some...she loves Gerald McBoing Boing and Krypto the Superdog.

Fairy
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I completely agree. When Noggin went to 24 hour programming, I thought "Yay! Now we'll get to see even more variety." Er. No. They took away several of DD's faves (Miffy, Maisy) and now we get commercials for Spongebob SquarePants. Yippee. Heck, they hardly even show the Backyardigans anymore.

DH insists on letting DD watch Spongebob (because he likes it), I hate it though. So I try to make DD forget about it. Hard though, when Noggin has the commercials on every 3 seconds.

We've recently gone away from Noggin and reverted back to PBS Kids when that programming is on (not Sprout...I cannot stomach the Good Night Show) and I have been recording Curious George and Martha Speaks for when it's not on at a good time. We also watch Boomerang some...she loves Gerald McBoing Boing and Krypto the Superdog.

:yeahthat: Except for Spongebob, which DH and I agree is *not* toddler fodder.

I was thrilled at 24/7 Noggin, but it didn't improve, it diluted. Badly. Now they fill their plat with Kai Lan and Gabba several times a day, they do two in a row of shows that I find little value in, and aren't producing the insanely creative shows anymore, like Jack's Big Music Show and Blue's Clues. Expense? I dunno. Wubbsy isn't a bad show, but why infuse us with more new Wubbsy when there are way better choices out there? I could go on and on about this, seriously. I could host a whole weekend symposium on the subject of what's wrong with Noggin and why, so I'll just stop now.

I also wanted to agree about PBS Kids ... and yes, also not Sprout, for us. Only for me, it's not Good Night Show that bugs but the stop motion creepy shows out there, like Noddy. Anyhoo, I could personally, myself, watch Word Girl and Fetch any time. DS is too young for Fetch, but he FLOVES World Girl and Word World and Clifford and the holy grail, Sesame Street. WE've also started with Electric Company, but I'm not that big a fan, really. Trying.

Still shakin' my head on this . . .

KHF
04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
DD went through a HUGE Noddy phase when she was around 2-ish. No clue why. It scares me. She also won't watch Sesame Street anymore. Just doesn't like it. She went through an Elmo phase, but that's well over now.

Clifford is another favorite of hers. She also loves SuperWhy and Sid the Science Kid (that one is strange). I think SuperWhy is probably old for her, but she loves it. She loves to wear her cape from SuperFly Kidz and yell about being a SuperReader. I'm not going to discourage that :)

fivi2
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
We have a channel that plays free on demand kids' shows - some Noggin, BBC, and PBS (for the most part no ads, but a few). Other than that I dvr a few from Playhouse Disney (MM CLubhouse and Little Einsteins. you do have to be careful to dvr during the correct playhouse disney hours because the disney channel is awful about running stuff with preteen content otherwise, imo). Netflix often has a bunch of good options.

Our faves: Pingu, Blue's Clues, Zoboomafoo, MM Clubhouse, Little Einsteins, Andy Pandy, and occasionally Bob Builder and Thomas. They went through a Sesame Street phase, and Superwhy, and Word world, but won't watch those now. I plan to start Fraggle Rock soon :)

Fairy
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Fraggle reminds me! DS got The Muppet Show first season for Xmas. How did I forget that? Completely didn't even consider this. Time to get out the DVD player and let him watch that show instead of the idiocy that Noggin is giving us during DS's home hours.

Oh, and re: Backyardigans, I've grown to love that show and am really annoyed with how they're not showing certain ones EVER, that happen to be good. There are two or three new ones that have shown in the UK many times by now, but not here yet. Ugh.

KHF
04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Agreed about Backyardigans. When we do catch it on (usually on Nick Jr. when DD is home sick), it's always one of the same 3 or 4 episodes. (Usually that Moose of the Mist episode...not one of my favorites.)

Fairy
04-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Please, anything's better than Surf's Up.

KHF
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, not a fave...and that's one of the ones on the 5 episode loop they have going on. Give me "Race Around the World" any day.

s7714
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Oh, and re: Backyardigans, I've grown to love that show and am really annoyed with how they're not showing certain ones EVER, that happen to be good. There are two or three new ones that have shown in the UK many times by now, but not here yet. Ugh.

Only because they want you to buy the videos of those episodes. All the episodes that they've over promoted (Mars, Brave Knights, etc.) rarely get air time, but all the old episodes that are only available on collection DVDs get played into oblivion.

twindad
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I am fed up wtih Noggin's "programming" between the shows. We Tivo most of what DS watches, and he loves watching the "in between stuff," in hopes of catching the gems, like Story Time, Ebb & Flo, Move to the Music, Cooking iwth Luis, and especially Peppa Pig. Oh, how he loves Peppa. But over the last two years, things have really started to go the way of lazy-ass clips from Dora & Diego disguised as Move to the Music "videos," thinly veiled commercials from Lysol and such, completely age-inappropriate Nick Jr. promos, and now age-WAY-inappropriate Beyonce-infused promos for "Wubb-Girlz" week for Wow Wow Wubsy.

I know this probably seems like a little thing, but I take it seriously. I don't see why our preschoolers ahve to grown up so quickly by being exposed to pop culture intended for older kids when there are perfectly entertaining, fun, cool, and enriching shows out there that are appropriate for their age? Most of them are on Noggin! I could go on, but I digress.

Boo, Noggin! BOO!

Meh.

We agree wholeheartedly! I was also so disappointed to hear one of the Wubsy characters say something like, "If you look good, you'll feel good" during the "commercial" you are referring to.

We ended up buying our girls a Peppa Pig DVD...$8.99 on Amazon, and they LOVE it!

hellokitty1
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I believe that Noggin's programming changes in the last couple years are because they are now owned by Nickelodeon. Whenn DDwas an infant/toddler, we loved Noggin bc of the shows and no commercials. We didn't even watch the Disney Channel until we went to DW when DD was 3.5. Then the minute Nick took over Noggin, the lysol commercials started and the programming seemed to be less "innocent."

It's all done to make money. Even PBS now has subtle advertising for Chuck E. Cheese.

DebbieJ
04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
And they dropped The Upside Down Show. Double Drr . . .

This makes me sad. DS would howl with laughter at this show. We miss it.

fortato
04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Jack loves Peppa Pig and Ebb and Flo, I wish they were half hour shows because I am so sick of Franklin. They moved Jack's Big Music Show to late at night, but at least they put on Toot and Puddle.

I'm truly sick of Dora and Diego. Once in a while Jack will say "Diego needs to use his indoor voice". I totally agree.

And- I don't know about any of you- but Yo Gabba Gabba has sort of grown on me.

Fairy
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I dunno why I hadn't thoguht of it, but I'm going for the Peppa DVD, thanks for the tips, guys.

I just can't get with Gabba, sorry.

I agree that Franklin blows. And, I'll say it again, is there a reason they had to make the beaver's name "Beaver" and that it had to be a ... girl?

DS has asked us more than once why Dora is walking all the way to Abuela's house by himself without his mommy. I ... don't have an answer for him ...

fortato
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree that Franklin blows. And, I'll say it again, is there a reason they had to make the beaver's name "Beaver" and that it had to be a ... girl?

DS has asked us more than once why Dora is walking all the way to Abuela's house by himself without his mommy. I ... don't have an answer for him ...

My husband was watching Franklin with Jack one day and he said (to me) "Wow- Beaver's such a bitch!" (Of course he followed that with "that's what he said" under his breath.)

And- Why does Franklin sleep on the floor? His family sits in chairs at a table to eat dinner...
I know- it's a cartoon... but when I haven't finished my morning coffee, this is the stuff I think about.

Drag0nflygirl
04-29-2009, 04:56 PM

FWIW Maisy is on Qubo, if you get it. It's the same Qubo that's on NBC on Saturdays, just 24 hours with lots of different shows. It's the second channel for ION - I have no clue if it's on any cable. We actually get it over the air on our HD antenna. It's saved my sanity a number of times.

mom2binsd
04-29-2009, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Fairy;2360616]I dunno why I hadn't thoguht of it, but I'm going for the Peppa DVD, thanks for the tips, guys.

I just can't get with Gabba, sorry.

If DH is in the room he always says "beeverrrr" in a silly kind of way, he's so immature sometimes!!!

Fairy
04-30-2009, 02:48 AM
And- Why does Franklin sleep on the floor? His family sits in chairs at a table to eat dinner...

And don't get me started about the random stuff he stores in his shell. :eek: I dunno, it just creeps me out.