PDA

View Full Version : daycare and napping

Krisrich
04-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I am currently researching daycares for my daughter who is 4 months old now but will be nine months when she starts daycare. The 2 centers I've seen so far each have one infant room where the babies play, eat and are also expected to nap- the cribs are lined up along the sides of the walls. Well, my baby has not been able to sleep anywhere but her crib in a quiet, dark room since she was 2 months old. She is a great sleeper now and I am so scared that she will absolutely not be able to sleep in daycare set-up with all that stimulation, especially at nine months old. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

jent
04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I remember having the exact same worry when DD started daycare-- she too started at around 9 mos, and she was a light sleeper who did best in a quiet dark room. The daycare I chose did have a nap room, but DD just didn't sleep as well there as at home anyway. Even though the naproom was quiet, the babies were on all different schedules, so another baby waking or being put to sleep while DD was sleeping often woke her up. This totally stressed me out during her first months there, but in retrospect, she was fine-- she was always in a happy mood there. And she continued to take good naps (usually) at home. And, the situation didn't last that long-- by about 14 months her group transitioned to a toddler room where they all eat/play/sleep on the same schedule, and she sleeps much better now.

You may not have much luck finding a daycare with a separate naproom-- our center went through renovations, and the infant room now only has a half-wall between the play and nap area. I was under the impression that that is due to some sort of regulation (ie, they want supervision over the sleeping kids). I remember another center that I was looking at also had a naproom but mentioned that they were probably going to renovate and remove the wall.

MontrealMum
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Our daycare has two infant rooms (must be under 18 months when originally placed). One has 5 DC w/separate nap room, and the other has 10 DC with 2 separate nap rooms. Rooms are darkened, sometimes classical music is played (depending on teacher) parents can provide a stuffed toy and blanket, sheets are provided and washed by center. One nap a day. It was difficult at first when DS started at around 12 months as he was on a two nap-a-day schedule, but he, and the other DC all regulated and seem to settle at their designated naptime of 1-3 daily. Unless someone is sick or teething of course. There are rocking chairs for the teacher to hold/comfort cranky babies. All the kids continue during the academic year whether they pass 18 months or not in the same under-18 room. DS will likely be moved downstairs to the bigger kids room sometime this summer (he's 20 mos. now) unless we move. I dread this as it means one really short nap on a mat on the floor - he really needs his sleep!