PDA

View Full Version : Could this be lice: thoroughly confused

JustMe
04-26-2009, 09:33 PM
This afternoon while dd was standing in the sun, I noticed lots of white little pieces in her hair. Some of them were quite big and I would think they must have been dried skin (kind of triangle-like, big, and came out right away). She also had lots of white circular things that also came out pretty easily...but then she also had some white things that really look like nits...the longer shape (she had them last year, so I know). What is confusing is that they don't blow or shake off, but I can easily slide them down with 2 fingers. When she had them last time I had to really work at that and usually use my nails, which I dont have to do at all this time, but as I said they do not just shake or blow off...thoughts...please, help, I am thoroughly confused.

I did have her take a shower and just use regular shampoo and conditioner to see if maybe we just left a ton of shampoo or conditioner in and it was creating that effect. Things still look the same!

MamaMolly
04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry, but the ones that are round and can slide off *do* sound like lice to me. As I said, I'm so, so sorry. I'd do a non-toxic treatment (like vaseline and saran wrap? I think I've read about that...) just in case. If it is non-toxic it really can't hurt IYKWIM.

niccig
04-27-2009, 01:39 AM
My friend had a similar issue with her DD. She wasn't sure if it was lice or not. She read online about checking by putting a lot of conditioner in the hair and then combing with a nit comb. The thick conditioner immobilizes the lice, and you can see them on the comb. She then knew her DD had lice, and started treatment.

kijip
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
The comb is the only way to tell for sure IME. We used the licemeister comb and it was amazing and worth every penny.

Cam&Clay
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
If the dandruff is "roundish" and doesn't move off the hair when you touch it, that's a nit! If you can only get it off by sliding it...unfortunately, that's a nit.

Dandruff/dry flakes will move around when you touch them with a comb.