PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day does your 9-10 month old nurse?

sarahsthreads
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I can't remember how it went with DD1 and I'm not finding anything helpful on kellymom (which surprised me).

DD2 eats 3 meals a day of solids. Short of not letting her be in the kitchen with us during meal times, there's no way around that, because the child *loves* food and has been self-feeding from nearly the very beginning.

At this point she typically nurses 5 times a day, sometimes (like today) only 4, and rarely more like 6. Is that enough? I was a little surprised about today when I realized it was only 4 times - first thing in the morning, before her morning nap, before her afternoon "nap" which she didn't wind up taking, and before bed. Usually there's a later afternoon feeding in there when she wakes up, but we were out and about since she didn't nap and she didn't seem at all interested.

When she does take a bottle from DH (I work two evenings a week) she drinks between 4 and 5 ounces, but I have no problem pumping enough - so maybe she's just really, really efficient? (It takes me 20 minutes to pump that much, but she only nurses for 5-10 minutes ever...pretty much since my milk came in!)

I nursed DD1 to 2.5 years, and I definitely don't want to have DD2 wean too early because she's so interested in solids - but for all I can remember 4 or 5 nursing sessions a day were all I had with DD1 at this point. Mommy amnesia...

Thanks!
Sarah :)

Melbel
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
My almost 11 month old reflux baby still nurses at least 8x per day. No kidding. When she gets an occasional bottle of EBM, she only takes about 3 ounces, so she does not take very much per feeding. Our total ounces per day are comparable FWIW.

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Ds1 nursed a lot more than ds2. Ds2 probably, at that age, was nursing 6-7X/ day. We didn't start a 3rd meal of solids till he was 12 months and the second meal of solids was only introduced around 10-11 months.

Beth

JTsMom
04-27-2009, 08:20 AM
It's been a long time, but I want to say maybe 5 or 6 times? If it was more frequent, it was b/c it was just a quicky comfort nursing session. In the morning and before bed were longer sessions. DS did a LOT of comfort nursing though. I think he always nursed a lot more than other kids his age.

If she's nursing on demand, I'd probably not worry about it too much.

hez
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
She was on 2 solids meals a day, and nursed anywhere from 4-7 times/day. Just really depended on the day. And, I have an efficient nurser, too-- seems like 7 minutes on average.