PDA

View Full Version : How does one get banned from the boards?

gatorsmom
04-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Maybe this isn't the right place to post this but I was looking up a member who I thought of suddenly (punkrockmama) and was surprised to see she is banned. I always thought her posts were funny. I've seen other members say some really rude and offensive things and be "only" suspended so I'm wondering what it takes to get outright banned?

Mods, feel free to move this post. thx

LarsMal
04-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I don't know the answer, but I was thinking about her recently, too. That's too bad!

kijip
04-27-2009, 12:03 AM
I think the rules/guidelines are posted in the forum for questions/suggestions/rules.

ETA: Here is the link to those:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=315157

elliput
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
The decision to ban vs suspend ultimately lies with the Fields, though they have been pretty clear with regards to consequences for certain offenses. All of the board rules are found here (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=315157).

mamicka
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Maybe this isn't the right place to post this but I was looking up a member who I thought of suddenly (punkrockmama) and was surprised to see she is banned. I always thought her posts were funny. I've seen other members say some really rude and offensive things and be "only" suspended so I'm wondering what it takes to get outright banned?

She was *banned*? Wow - I missed that one. Sheila, right? She was funny.

Clarity
04-27-2009, 01:53 AM

I noticed that one day while searching for music. I was surprised because I couldn't recall when that had happened. She was never dull!

egoldber
04-27-2009, 06:50 AM
I think it's important to remember that a "hot" thread could be removed before you even see it or it could be removed after it took a turn for the worse that you didn't see.

ETA: And I have no idea when or why she was banned.

o_mom
04-27-2009, 07:55 AM
I saw that too. I have no idea what happened.

Corie
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I always liked Sheila. I thought she was hysterical. :)

Edited to add: I have no clue why Sheila was banned. I didn't know her very well.
I just remember thinking that she was funny.

JTsMom
04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I have no idea where she went either- I would never have pegged her as the banned type!

KBecks
04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
I can't remember what happened. I sort of vaguely remember something happening, but it feels like a long time ago. I liked her too.

Jo..
04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I read the rules, and I've been around for awhile (though I'm not an OLDIE :wink2:), and I still can't figure out how one would be banned vs warned or suspended.

I think that we (as a community) are close, and it's natural to be curious when "one of us" is gone for good.

I wanna know!

PS: I miss several people that were banned or suspended. I miss AMP (andrea)! I miss Essence/Latia!!!:D

egoldber
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Do you miss Flagger? ;) And people think threads NOW are heated! :hysterical:

Laurel
04-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I read the rules, and I've been around for awhile (though I'm not an OLDIE :wink2:), and I still can't figure out how one would be banned vs warned or suspended.

I think that we (as a community) are close, and it's natural to be curious when "one of us" is gone for good.

I wanna know!

PS: I miss several people that were banned or suspended. I miss AMP (andrea)! I miss Essence/Latia!!!:D

ITA, I read the rules, and I can't figure out what warrants a warning vs. ban vs. suspension.

MamaMolly
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
That is so funny, I was just thinking of Sheila myself! Must be something in the wind...well, at least now I know.

And to the OP, I don't think it is an inappropriate question. It wasn't asked in a provocative or ugly way, just asking for information. What is the harm in that?

cdlamis
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM

Wow, somehow I had forgotten about him! I wonder if he still lurks here.
Yes, he did always seem to stir the pot (intentional or unintentional). :)

Fairy
04-27-2009, 04:33 PM

Word.

I can think of infractions egregious enough to have to ban without a warning first; but, it's a very subjective thing depending on the context that the mods/Fields have to make as hard judgment calls sometimes for the good of the board. This one happened after my time, however, so don't look at me. :shrug:

KBecks
04-27-2009, 05:28 PM

I think Flagger was largely misunderstood and somewhat ganged up on.

egoldber
04-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Karen, I think you are an incredibly kind person who wishes to see the best in everyone.

rlu
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Karen, I think you are an incredibly kind person who wishes to see the best in everyone.

Insert "yeah that" smilie here. I don't think I was registered back when Flagger was posting, but I've been reading since 2004. I too wondered where Sheila was. I miss alot of the hot threads though, often locked by the time I see them.

MartiesMom2B
04-27-2009, 07:12 PM

I do. Things were interesting then. Ha ha!

karolyp
04-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Banning is reserved for repeated or very serious violations of the rules and is never undertaken lightly. In this case, Sheila (punkrockmama) created a 2nd user ID to anonymously attack another forum member. This is a flagrant violation of the rules (and, other than spamming, is the single most common reason for getting banned). The thread in question has been removed, and since the community has moved on, we kindly request that this end the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jo..
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Yeah that.

I think he was gone before my day, but I looked him up when he came up in conversation. I would totally vote him back. :hysterical:

mudder17
04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
And to the OP, I don't think it is an inappropriate question. It wasn't asked in a provocative or ugly way, just asking for information. What is the harm in that?

Yep, it was a reasonable question.

jk3
04-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Agreed. I'm not sure why there is a need to ban anyone. We're all adults!

lizajane
04-27-2009, 11:03 PM
I think Flagger was largely misunderstood and somewhat ganged up on.

i love me some flagger. kept me on my toes.

mommy111
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Flagger was before my time too, but his name comes up so often, I've done searches on him. Curious minds need to know, especially about colorful personalities.

Melanie
04-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Beth! :rotflmao:

ETA: Hey, why isn't my smilie showing up? Well hrmph, but LOL. You always knew something interesting would be going on then, didn't you.

Fairy
04-28-2009, 11:17 AM

ETA: Hey, why isn't my smilie showing up? Well hrmph, but LOL. You always knew something interesting would be going on then, didn't you.

You should be able to go to your User CP and turn them on. I think.

egoldber
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
No, I think that particular smilie is broken and has been for a few weeks.

elliput
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
:ROTFLMAO: It needs to be caps if typing out.

Melanie
04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Ahh, that's the one I tried to use last time, too, so I just assumed it was me. Apparently I need to widen my smilie horizons.

:yay:

I didn't type it out, just clicked on it from the list. Hmm...:ROTFLMAO: Works now. Okie-dokie. :tongue5:

and one more while we're at it::signthankspin:

egoldber
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
But even if you click on it it doesn't work. At least not for me. I am reduced to the hyterically laughing guy which is sometimes too much amusement, or just the smiling guy, who is often not amused enough.

ETA: Huh. He does work now. OK, I am amused. ;)
:ROTFLMAO:

missym
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Sorry you've been having trouble. :ROTFLMAO: I can't duplicate it without typing it out in lower case letters. :ROTFLMAO:Maybe the server was just having a hiccup? :shrug:

lisams
04-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Flagger was before my time too, but his name comes up so often, I've done searches on him. Curious minds need to know, especially about colorful personalities.

In his last few shining moments on the boards, he went on a little raid and gave anyone who supported his "enemy" negative ratings. This was back when you could give other users a rating. There's a lot more, I specifically remember him telling someone to not let the door hit their *** on the way out. There's more, but I've forgotten. I do know that he formed his own board when he left/got kicked off/whatever happened. If he liked you things were great, if he didn't like you he found a way to piss you off.

ETA In his defense, he was always willing to offer advice, and at times was like the brother you love but hate. I just wish that he would have kept his cool a little better. But we're all human and have moments. I hope that he is happy and well. I still remember Cocoa (sp?) and her snoopy pics.

lisams
04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Agreed. I'm not sure why there is a need to ban anyone. We're all adults!

There have been some trolls in the past where one has to wonder if there really is an adult at the other end.

kransden
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM

He was such a $#! disturber lol. He would say crazy things on purpose and people would just rise to the bait. Then off on a another flame war the thread would go. I do sort of miss the entertainment value.

kransden
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM

It needs to be in caps not lower case

MartiesMom2B
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
He was such a $#! disturber lol. He would say crazy things on purpose and people would just rise to the bait. Then off on a another flame war the thread would go. I do sort of miss the entertainment value.

Yes he was a master baiter.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

hellokitty1
04-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Gasp! Whar happened to AMP - Andrea? She was so sweet. Was she banned or just not on the boards any longer?

american_mama
04-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, Andrea (amp) was banned. And Latia (essencesomething). I've heard references to several others. Where did Marisa, the former mod, disappear to?

edited at the request of a mod: I was wrong; Andrea (amp) was suspended.

Jo..
04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Andrea was suspended, and chose not to return.

But I miss her.