PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Dance Competition

Hawkeyewife
04-27-2009, 07:16 AM
DD has been attending a local dance studio since she was 3. The first two years she took pre-ballet, she had fun and the recitals were so cute! This past fall she was asked to join a Show Dance group for children 5-7 years old and has been doing that in addition to tap and ballet. The dance school has been around for 50 years and is pretty conservative. I have always been impressed by the quality of the productions and professionalism etc.

Anyway, DD attended her first dance competion with her show dance group in the 6 and under category. They did a number called "The Laughing Policeman" and were dressed in police costumes made from school uniform parts (navy blue skort and light blue shirt) plus handcuffs, whistle, badge etc, they looked really cute and age appropriate. Their routine didn't have any booty shaking or grinding etc...

This is where my rant comes in...

Every other 6 and under group did the booty shake, wore revealing costumes and pageant makeup. I was so proud that our dance studio did not stoop to degrading our little ones! We did very well (took first place) and our daughters did not look like little Jonbenet's! When did it become okay for our littlest girls to dance so slutty? I personally thanked our dance instructors, I am still in shock over what I saw on stage yesterday.

maestramommy
04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Maybe some people think it's cute when wee little ones dress and dance around like adults? I don't see it.

Congrats to your DD's dance team!

Hawkeyewife
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Yeah, it was shocking. I don't think I am a prude, but wow. The older girls looked fine, even if they did a booty shake, it wasn't too bad and for the most part fit into the routine.

Time to go outside and enjoy the day with my boys!

mommylamb
04-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm totally with you on this. People are really inappropriate sometimes with their kiddos.