PDA

View Full Version : OT - has anyone replaced their Dishwasher recently?

Happy 2B mommy
04-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I NEED a new dishwasher. Ours is the bottom of the barrel, cheapo contractor special. No special features/adjustable racks, top sprayer... and now it really isn't washing very well.

DH and I plan to be in this house for no more than 5 more years (move in 3 years is our goal), so we don't want anything too pricey - around $500-600. Any recs?

TIA!

Nyfeara
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
We just replaced ours, but it hasn't arrived yet so can't really attest to how well it works. We decided to go with an LG dishwasher that had a steamwash/sanitizing cycle. It's supposed to be pretty quiet.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100658731

We got ours from Home Depot. Normal price was $999, marked down to $799, then they were giving 10% off, now we were down to $718 and they honored a 10% off Lowe's coupon. All said & done, we paid $706 with tax (delivery is free), we opted to install ourselves. We ordered about 3-4 wks ago, it should arrive next week. Apparently, it's a pretty good deal & they can't keep it in stock. I would definitely look at a few in the stores and try to find online reviews. The online review actually turned us away from a couple other models/brands we were considering.

american_mama
04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Less than a month ago, my parents bought a new dishwasher for the house they are selling. As such, they bought a good but inexpensive unit and they love it. It's a GE Quiet Power 3, model /GHDA480N10BB, listed for $400, bought at Home Depot for 10% off. They like that it is extremely quiet and washes well. It also has electronic controls for a sleeker appearance, which they also wanted.

My dad did have hard time installing it, in part because the directions assumed a more modern plumbing setup than they have in their 1950's house. Their dishwasher drainline goes down to the basement, not underneath the sink as in newer houses, and the solution ultimately involved taping the new drainline to the top of dishwasher underneath the countertop. Don't know what that solves, but hope it saves you some aggravation if you do a self-install and also have an older house.

caleymama
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
We had a new one installed exactly a week ago! Our fridge bit the dust about 2 weeks ago and we decided to replace the ~13 year old dishwasher too, since it had been acting funny lately and the installation was starting to give us trouble.

We ended up getting a Frigidaire model (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7944665&type=product&id=1152228787007) at Best Buy. I shopped Sears, Best Buy, Home Depot, and a local appliance store and found the fridge in stock in the color we wanted only at Best Buy. When I went there to look at it I also found this DW and I had spent HOURS the day before looking at DWs at Sears. Anyway, we've been very happy with it so far but it's only been a week. I would have loved one with a SS interior, but that wasn't in the budget so the grey interior on this one is nice. FWIW, I wouldn't have even considered Best Buy if they hadn't been in the same shopping center as Home Depot AND if SIL hadn't mentioned that they recently purchased their fridge from there. They just weren't on my radar for appliances. The whole experience, though, was outstanding and the delivery/installation people were super.

bnme
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
We have a Maytag Quiet Series 200 that I think was just under $500 (or more like 400?). I like it just fine, cleans perfectly. I would say the noise is not loud. But I have not 'heard' a super-expensive quiet one as a comparison. If I could go back I would've got the model one higher that was about $100 more for the stainless interior and maybe one or two other features. I could not see spending a ton on anything more fancy for a dishwasher. But anything more than that was out of my budget anyway!

MommyAllison
04-27-2009, 09:59 PM
We bought a KitchenAid from Lowes a couple months ago, and I looooooove it. Super quiet, energy star, and cleans amazingly, with a stainless interior. We hand wash pots & pans, so didn't need or want the special cycles on higher priced dishwashers.

jse107
04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
We've got a Kenmore that we bought last year. I think it was around $500. We're pretty happy with it! Was well rated in Consumer Reports and epinions.

JBaxter
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM
We just got a whirlpool gold series from Lowes about a month ago. I really like it :)

KBecks
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
We bought a Bosch at Lowes, it was spendy but I love it.

katydid1971
04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
We got a Bosch at Sears with the Kenmore label on it. We've had it for about a year adn its so great!!!!!!