PDA

View Full Version : Bake sale options- need opinions please :)

JTsMom
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
DH's workplace is involved in a Relay For Life event this weekend. They are going to be grilling to raise money, and asked some of the employees/wives to bake some goodies to sell.

I'm kicking around several ideas. What do think would be the biggest hit, and make a bunch of $ for the cause?

1. Pretzel rods with chocolate/carmal/candy etc. and similar marshmallow pops (I'm kind of leaning towards this b/c it's different, and hopefully nobody else will do it)

2. More traditional cookies- not to toot my own horn, but this is my specialty ;)

3. Brownies (always a hit, but I'm betting there will be lots of them)

4. Cupcakes (ditto)

5. Cakes- more high-maintenance b/c we'd need plates and forks, harder to transport, but maybe there won't be many of them.

Feel free to chime in with any other ideas/recipes. Thanks!

malphy
04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I say go for the chocolate or candy covred pretzel rods. they are super easy and very popular. You get good return on investment with these.

Octobermommy
04-27-2009, 12:43 PM
The cakes always go first at our bake sale and for a premium. Also, I think the pretzel rods are a fun idea that there probably won't be a lot of others if any. Cookies tend to stay around the longest imo.

JTsMom
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
The cakes always go first at our bake sale and for a premium. Also, I think the pretzel rods are a fun idea that there probably won't be a lot of others if any. Cookies tend to stay around the longest imo.

Do you sell them as whole cakes, or by the slice? I was thinking whole cakes would sell well, but then people would have to take them home, and it's an all night thing, so I can't see that working, kwim? If it's by the slice, I could pull that off, although I can only bake/carry so many of them- but if I could price them higher, it would be worth it.

ETA: I could always do a couple of different things.

MacMacMoo
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Have you thought about doing a cake walk?

MontrealMum
04-27-2009, 01:17 PM
When our church does its huge fundraising fall fair, the more unusual or harder to make things go first. So, "fancy" cookies, cakes, pies, or anything ethnic (ie baklava, struedel). Something like brownies will sell, but not as quickly since it's easier for people to make themselves - they often get sold for 1/2 price at the end of the day. They actually tend to do whole pies (in the tin) more than cakes. But if you wanted to do whole cakes you can often buy cardboard cake boxes (6", 8", 10" - usually up to 14") at local bakeries that you could send them home in from your sale.

Tondi G
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Rice Crispy treats always go fast at most bake sales I've been to. You could dip some in chocolate too if you are doing the pretzel rods already!

You can sell whole cakes (bundt cakes come to mind) that people can take home for their family... wrap them in cellophane!

Octobermommy
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Do you sell them as whole cakes, or by the slice? I was thinking whole cakes would sell well, but then people would have to take them home, and it's an all night thing, so I can't see that working, kwim? If it's by the slice, I could pull that off, although I can only bake/carry so many of them- but if I could price them higher, it would be worth it.

ETA: I could always do a couple of different things.

We sold them as whole cakes. They are almost always the first things to go. Good Luck!

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Don't do the pretzels if it will be hot because they will turn into a melty mess.

I once googled how to to run a successful bake sale and found this handy resource:
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/baking-hints-tips/bake-sale/tips.asp

My cookies are always big sellers- chocolate chip made with some almond meal.

Dressing things up with candies or sprinkles makes them very appealing to little ones. You can do brownies and frost them with colored frosting and they will get takers. Little things like that can make your typical items more fun.

Obviously homemade things will sell first so even if lots of other people make cookies and brownies they'll buy your's first. :)

Beth

LarsMal
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Monster cookies- HUGE hit!!!

elephantmeg
04-27-2009, 02:30 PM
our bakesale always sells out of whole cakes/pies/loaves of bread. And more and more people are asking for low sugar/sugar free/healthier stuff as well. A hotdog sale at events like these usually goes well too-as does selling cold drinks.

neeter
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
a big slice of banana bread will always grab my attention!

JTsMom
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm still leaning towards the chocolate. It should be ok (at least I'm hoping) b/c the event is at night. If it's warm, I'll bring a cooler though. We've been averaging in the 60's-70's in the evening, so hopefully that will continue.

I'm figuring I'll do packages of 3 in cellophane with curly ribbons. I'll have to see how much time I have to work on it all, but I'll definitely do pretzels and marshmallows, and I'm thinking of trying some oreos dipped in chocolate on a stick- saw a very cute pic of that somewhere. I'm going to do a variety of toppings- crushed oreos, caramel, white chocolate, m&m's, sprinkles, etc. If I have time I may try the rice krispie treats too. DS would loooove that. :) He had one at Disney, and he was thrilled.

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
My mom's group does a bakesale every 6 months and we've found that the big things go more quickly and we can charge more for them. It does depend on the time of day you are selling though. We sell out of fancy bundt cakes and pies after the Saturday evening masses but we sell more bars and cookies after the Sunday morning masses.

Bundt cakes are easy to mix up and with a lemon glaze you can really make them look fancy. We charge $10 for them. Pies sell well too for like $8 or $10 but they are usually more work.

The pretzals sound yummy!

DietCokeLover
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Lemon bars always seem to do well too.