PDA

View Full Version : Easy-to-transfer booster seat... Safety?

Snookie
04-27-2009, 12:47 PM
We currently have our 5y 7m DD in a Safeguard GO! booster in our Odyssey. That's working out fine, for the most part, but I often find myself needing a booster to go in someone else's car for, say, field trips at preschool, playdate pick-ups by other parents, etc. The Safeguard GO! is a great seat, but not all that easy to quickly transfer into someone else's car. Plus, you can never be sure if they have the proper tether attachment points. Or even if they know how to install the seat. So a quick-switch booster seems to be the answer, but the reason we bought the GO! was for the 5-point harness, which I am committed to using as long as possible. If I get a quick-switch booster, I lose that safety element, and then what would be the value of my commitment? Am I over-thinking it? Is it a matter of just *reducing* risk by *usually* riding in the 5-point and *occasionally* riding in the seat-belt-using booster? Ugh! My head hurts!

hbridge
05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
We have a Regent in our primary car and an Apex 65 in both other cars DC rides in. However, we also have a $20 Graco Backless Booster for that very occasional "other car". DC is almost 6 and we've used the Graco seat twice, once in a rental for a short trip around town and the second time when we took a doll on an adventure and the doll needed a seat to "be safe". The Graco was purchased primarily for travel in airport vans, but we didn't need it on our last trip.

I plan on using it only a few times a year for very short trips. Not as safe as the Regent, but I think a better option than not having a booster for those occasions. I can forsee us using it more often next year for the three mile ride to/from school on the occasion we may send DC with a neighbor or friend.

DH and DC both loved using it in the rental car. I put it away quickly so there would be no temptation to make it an every day seat.

bubbaray
05-18-2009, 10:26 PM
What about a Graco HighBack TurboBooster? You'll need to do some "booster training", but a highback booster is the next step (not a low-back). The TB is light, reasonably easy to use, fits a lot of kids, etc.

FYI, this forum gets, oh, ZERO traffic, so you should cross-post in carseats.