PDA

View Full Version : Poll, Funky Weird Stuff: Ouija Boards

Fairy
04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think I've done this one yet. I had a conversation about this and would love to hear what folks think. Any personal experiences?

ETA --> Hard poll to do with limited character spaces per option.

mommylamb
04-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I was obsessed with them as a pre-teenager and I think I scared my dad (or at least he decided enough was enough and he threw it away). But, now I'm a big old cynic about most mystical and/or religious things. Plus, it's just milton bradley...

elliput
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
My mom had one. We played with it a little bit as kids, but mostly to make our friends nervous- they were who we heard the scary stories from anyway.

Parker Brothers makes a pink one (http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Brothers-Ouija-Board-Pink/dp/B001HEKJ2M/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1240857014&sr=8-4)! :ROTFLMAO:

KyMama
04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I still have one somewhere. I never believed it was real but my sister does. She tells me every time her kids come over that I "better not let them play that evil game" :ROTFLMAO:

ThreeofUs
04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Hmmm.... Don't know, but they make me nervous! Call me "agnostic" on this one.

GlindaGoodWitch
04-27-2009, 04:02 PM
My mom has a real old one, the kind with a metal pin instead of plastic. It's freaked me out enough times to the point where I don't mess with it anymore.

Her favorite story is waaaaaaaaaaaay back when she was flying, doing a military charter out of Germany, she and her best pal were messing with it in front of the rest of the crew. One of the pilots asked how the weather was going to be during the flight and the thing spelled out "not leaving today." Every question about the departure was some form of "not today." Anyhoo - it turned into quite the joke and as they boarded up the plane and did all their preflight stuff, the rest of the crew let the military dudes in on the story. They all teased my mom & her pal as the plane was buttoning up for take off. And my mom (staying true to form) replied that they weren't leaving that day.

SO - to make a long story short, (too late!) as they were taxiing down the runway, one of the engine lights came on and sure enough there was a problem with one of the engines and sure as scheiße, they didn't leave that day.

My mom says everyone was REAL quiet and nice to them the next day.

MamaMolly
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Ooooh, these scare me, I won't lie. I wish I had a good spooky story like Glenda but I don't. I just think it can't be a good thing to fool with. If you believe in evil (which I do) then you can open yourself up to it. Bad news!

Fairy
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
To make a long story short, (too late!) ...

I never get tired of this sentence. Always funny :-)

ha98ed14
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Ooooh, these scare me, I won't lie. I wish I had a good spooky story like Glenda but I don't. I just think it can't be a good thing to fool with. If you believe in evil (which I do) then you can open yourself up to it. Bad news!

I agree with this. I'm not a superstitious person or a religious fanatic, I just have an attitude of "why would I wanna go there?" I also think there are forces for good and forces for evil, even if they are only the energies being put out by other humans and the lives they choose to lead. I'm just not interested in seeking it out. I will just do my best to be an agent for good in the world and to hopefully live my life in ways that actively sew(sp?) love. That is me putting out as much good into the world as I can, and that I all I can do.

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 04:43 PM

Fairy has a good, spooky-as-hades story, don't you Fairy (hows that for baiting :)) And she started the thread so I think it's only fair you give it to us in detail this time (I heard parts of it once and got the chills).

So, Fairy-fair, how about it? Give us a good scare, you know you want to!!:wink2:

GlindaGoodWitch
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Stor-y! Stor-y! Stor-y!

Jo..
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Portal.

So why does the pink one tempt me???:ROTFLMAO:

ThreeofUs
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Fairy has a good, spooky-as-hades story, don't you Fairy (hows that for baiting :)) And she started the thread so I think it's only fair you give it to us in detail this time (I heard parts of it once and got the chills).

So, Fairy-fair, how about it? Give us a good scare, you know you want to!!:wink2:

STOR-EE! STOR-EE!

C'mon Fairy! Pretty please?

Fairy
04-27-2009, 05:57 PM

Lisa, you evil, evil girl!

Yes, I was terrified. I will summarize the story. It still weirds me out, yet I am fascinated with the subject. One comment first, to answer "why go there," I think one reason is cuz we want to know. We want to know if there's something on the other side, what it is that's there, and how the weather is. I really believe our energy doesn't just stop when our bodies die, and I think it all ties back into scientific explanation and not woo woo. But the concept of what is there IS woo woo as far as our culture goes for today. Just like the concept of horseless carriages was woo woo in the crusades. As we discover, we unlock.

Ok, so Like many, I was in college. Some chick on another floor had a board, she and it were on our floor in another girl's room, there was a hoard of us in there using it. Four or six with their hands actually on the pointer in real use, others of us, like myself, just observing never having touched it. There was, supposedly, an evil entity that called itself a letter of the alphabet that I don't want to say, utilizing the pointer. I said, ok, guy's, g'night, and went to bed. We had one when I was in HS, I used it with friends, to no real avail, so it was like, whatever. Thought nothing of it, I was just watching that night going, "hmm." The end.

Later that next morning, I was asked if I could keep it in my room until the owner came back for it. Sure, I said. Number one rule that I did remember was never ever use the Ouija board alone. Ever. I'm watching TV, it's mid-day. I'm alone. I said, eh, what the hey. I put the board on my lap, I put my hands on the pointer. I said, "Is anybody there?" And that pointer moved forcefully and all by itself with actual weight behind it right down to the offending letter of the alphabet like it was the most important thing on Earth.

To say I freaked would be putting it mildly.

I ran like my ass was on fire screaming out of my room more scared than I've ever been in my life before or, frankly, since. I told the girl to come get her stupid board, which she did. I then proceeded to be terrified every minute of every day for a week. I don't want to go into detail, but the end result was sobbing to my RA -- I was 18, cop me a break -- whom I looked up to, asking me if I wanted Jesus to protect me. I was like, uh, I'm Jewish. She said, it's ok, he loves you anyway. I said, ok. She did the whole black Southern Baptist thing, really took it seriously, and I really believed that what she was doing was helping me, cuz I'm telling you I did not sleep for a week. I was desperate. I wasn't sure it was actually Jesus, I mean, I was an Agnosticy Jew at the time of even that, but I was absolutely 100% sure that some benevolent entity had been calld on by her to protect me, Jesus, Shlomo, my dead dog, an alien forcefield of chronitons, I didn't care. I believed it was there. And it was only then that I felt the evil spirit had been neutralized. Then I slowly got better. I was a Freshman -- a young Freshman -- and it was a terrifying time. I haven't gone near one of those things since.

I absolutely believe that evil is out there to leverage users of these things via the Ouija board. The Ouija itself is not evil incarnate, no. But they offer a tool for evil to manifest.

There, happy now?

:30:

Fairy
04-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Fairy has a good, spooky-as-hades story, don't you Fairy (hows that for baiting :)) . . .

Ya know, I think that means I HAVE done this poll before. Sorry, guys, I hate repeating myself by accident. I really forgot I did it already but I was inspired by a conversation last night and just plum don't remember the last one. Eep!

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Ya know, I think that means I HAVE done this poll before. Sorry, guys, I hate repeating myself by accident. I really forgot I did it already but I was inspired by a conversation last night and just plum don't remember the last one. Eep!

We completely forgive you for repeating yourself. Hey, we finally got the story out of you! So does this mean you are afraid to say the alphabet? Totally kidding. ;)

I believe that the more modern our society gets and more it focuses on the material, the less in touch we become with "the other stuff." I don't believe that the tools of modern science can explain everything. I don't agree that because we can't see, smell, feel, measure, test something means it's not there. Heck, over 150 years ago, that Austrian doctor became the laughingstock of his generation for suggesting that docs wash their hands between patients. The docs couldn't see the germs on their hands so how could they possibly be there?

I stay away from evoking anything unsavory because many people have warned us not to play with this stuff, including some biblical figures whose opinions I very much respect. It is interesting, though, to hear the stories of other's experiences because everyone wants to know what is lurking on the other side.

Thanks Fairy!

MartiesMom2B
04-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I borrowed one in high school and played it at my house and it spouted off facts that I looked up and they were true. When my Mom found out that I used it in her house she went ape **** and yelled at me for inviting who knows what into her house. I don't want to invite negative energy into my house by any means and will not allow one of those in my house.

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I borrowed one in high school and played it at my house and it spouted off facts that I looked up and they were true.

Ooh, very interesting. Like, what kind of facts?

elephantmeg
04-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Never played but believe that anything that can lead to occult is a bad thing. I grew up in Africa and have seen enough whichcraft to not want to go anywhere near anything like that. In fact in middle school I left my best friends b-day party (and was labeled a freak for doing so) when they pulled out that game.

kijip
04-28-2009, 01:56 AM
I am always really amazed by the results of the funky weird stuff polls. I guess as a general non-believer in funky weird stuff, I am surprised to be in the minority nearly every time. The actual can see and touch world is weird and funky enough for me.

vonfirmath
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
My husband has had some scary personal experiences with these and because of that I trust him when he says my parents were very wise not to let me near them as a child.

Fairy
04-28-2009, 11:00 AM
I am always really amazed by the results of the funky weird stuff polls. I guess as a general non-believer in funky weird stuff, I am surprised to be in the minority nearly every time. The actual can see and touch world is weird and funky enough for me.

Ya know, these are always a trip for me. I think we're such a cross-section here of folks who all happen to be parents, and so it's a good place for these OT polls! I've always believed in most of the funky weird stuff out there (not all of it, believe it or not!), but I do seek out empirical evidence. I think having faith and just believing it to be true is perfectly fine. But for me, I think it's also important to identify the actual scientific evidence that backs up that belief. So, ouija; I saw it with my own eyes and felt it with my own hands. Some may say it was in my head and my subconscious did it. And I agree that it's absolutely possible that that's exactly how it happened. But I'm my own biggest skeptic and have just known when I'm imagining stuff, and this didn't feel like it; it felt real, and I believe it.

Ghosts. I have seen countless pieces of evidence that ghosts exist. No doubt fo rme. Same with aliens.

Now you talk vampires, wherwolves, and other mythic creatures of lore. On those, I believe that there's all kinds of evidence that provides a scientific explaination for them, not proves them. X-creatures, on the other hand, like speculated species we haven't been able to discover yet, like Nessie and Bigfoot creatures? I think there's something to that. The lack of carcases concerns me, but I do get a gut feeling that somethng's there.

I guess for me, the bottom line is that we often hold preposterous today what we do not yet have the tools to detect. Just becasue you cannot see, hear, taste, smell, or touch with downright physicality and tangibility does not mean it is not there. We know germs are there because we discovered a way to see them -- to measure them, a PP said, Lisa I think. Before that, it was ridiculous to think of such things. We know the earth goes around the sun cuz we discovered a way to measure that. Galileo was a heretic for suggesting it back in the day, tho. I think everything is measurable, we just haven't always found the right detection mechanisms to get there. So, that's how I approach the funky weird stuff I believe in.