PDA

View Full Version : Preschool ideas

BabyMine
04-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I know the owners of the preschool my DS1 goes to. They are trying to think of things to offer parents. They tried parents night out where they watched their children from 6-9pm. Nobody signed up.

My next idea is for them to start hosting birthday parties like gymboree. They have a huge gym that would be perfect.

Can you think of any ideas that you would like in your preschool.

They already do
-computers
-dance
-swim
-karate
-language(spanish)
-summer camps with trips

HIU8
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Ours does enrichment classes such as cooking, science, math. These all occur from 12-2 after the main preschool day is over and are only offered to the 3 and 4 yr olds.

BabyMine
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I was trying to think of something that would make parents lives easier.

If that is even possible.

mamalia
04-28-2009, 01:46 AM
We don't arrive early enough, but I always liked that my preschool did this for parents who needed it:
Free Breakfast for the kiddos
Change kiddos out of PJs, and brush teeth

Other Ideas:
Coffee and donuts for free/purchase in the AM for parents.
Grab and go snack for kiddos to eat on the ride home.

infomama
04-28-2009, 01:51 AM
DD1 attends enrichment. She takes a lunch that day and she really looks forward to the socializing and activities.

egoldber
04-28-2009, 06:59 AM
They tried parents night out where they watched their children from 6-9pm. Nobody signed up.

Amy's preschool does this, but my problem with it is that it is too late for my preschooler. She goes to bed at 6/6:30.

What would really make my life easier is scheduled occasional afternoon care so I don't have to drag my preschooler to doctor's appointments with my older child. And also early evening care for elementary school meetings like Back to School nights. I would use the 6-9 care on those type of school nights.

Our preschool is in a facility that has a gym and they offer babysitting for parents who use the gym as well (scheduled in advance).

I like these ideas too:

Coffee and donuts for free/purchase in the AM for parents.
Grab and go snack for kiddos to eat on the ride home.

Asianmommy
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Our preschool offers Suzuki violin lessons.
I agree with Beth that after-school hours on an as-needed basis would be useful.

brittone2
04-28-2009, 11:36 AM
One of the local schools here (preschool through high school private school) runs workshops on Non Violent Communication and other parenting class types of things. I'm not sure if that would work at every school or not. They open it to the general community as well.

Jen841
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Nothing huge, but ours does breakfast for parents on Fridays. They have a baked good, juice or water and fresh piece of fruit. I would LOVE coffee daily. Maybe give insulated cups, then serve coffee daily?

Ours did offer dinners on occassion (i.e. baked ziti, salad & bread), but my guess is that fizzled out.

We daily have all meals (breakfast included) and snacks provided. Our teacher washes soiled clothing (she rocks!)

AM sunscreen application would be nice. We need to get into the routine again.

If they have a gym could they offer a yoga class for parents, and sitting one night a week?

tamie
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Just a note on Parents Night Out. Our preschool offers it 2 Saturdays a month and the schedule is made at the beginning of the year. Also, the times are from 5pm to 10pm.

I have the postcard on my bulletin board and its great to be able to plan.

maydaymommy
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Definitely things that make life easier for parents, like some of the above suggestions.

I just looked at a preschool that had an informal playgroup on Fridays for parents with younger siblings. They get together in a well-equipped room and chat/play for a while before pick up. I think it helps foster community at the school.

I worked at a school that let parents congregate while their kids played in the indoor gross motor area after pick-up. They also did coffee & informal chatting at least once a month after drop off.

Currently our school hosts what they call a "Lean on Me" discussion group that lets parents vent about "issues" their kids are having and goes into positive parenting techniques.

s_gosney
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I think you're getting some great suggestions here. One question though--what is the existing schedule? (i.e. are the kids already there all day long? Are the rooms in use throughout the day with am/pm classes?)

doberbrat
04-28-2009, 02:22 PM
ours offers infant/child cpr & first aid classes. you pay the fee but they're onsite (though they dont offer dc during that time since its at night)

Lerber
04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
A mommy and me class for the younger children, 1+ with cooking, painting etc.

Parenting classes, CPR at night

Music classes, sign language, yoga, art (not sure if you mentioned all of these)

BabyMine
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I think you're getting some great suggestions here. One question though--what is the existing schedule? (i.e. are the kids already there all day long? Are the rooms in use throughout the day with am/pm classes?)

I am so very grateful for all of your suggestions. They are wonderful!

My DS1 goes m-f 9-1 but they have children there until 6. They rotate rooms throughout the day. They have a gym, swimming pool, 2 play grounds, and a computer room. It is a type of montessori school.