PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the Disney(nature) Earth movie yet?

fivi2
04-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Any reviews? We have grandparents coming to visit and I thouht it might be a good outing. My girls are 3 y 4m and this would be their first movie theater experience... They are easily scared, but generally do fine with nature shows.

Any thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
We are seeing it with ds1's school on Thursday.

They were interviewing one of the film makers on NPR's Fresh Air last week and I caught one things that helps me to know...I don't want to post a spoiler so PM if you want (or listen to the Fresh Air interview). All I will say is that it is a nature film and things happen in nature.

This is a website I like to go and find out if a movie will be ok for ds:
http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/

Beth

JElaineB
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
We saw it yesterday with 6.5 year old DS. If your kids are used to watching nature shows they should be fine. There was really nothing too gory or too violent. A few chase scenes of animals hunting other animals but they really didn't show the actual killing. It was a good movie, but to be honest it really wasn't any better than similar TV shows. But if you don't mind spending the money to see a nature show on the big screen I would recommend it.

fivi2
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the info and the review!

Beth, I won't bother with the spoiler right now, but if you want to post a review after you go, that'd be great :)

mom2binsd
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
DD's entire school went (she's in K) and she gave it super reviews- she was full of a lot of "survival of the fittest" type questions but wasn't scared- then again DH seems to think it's appropriate for her to watch all kinds of stuff I think isn't (he does this when I'm out)...

mommy2amelia
04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Had a friend who went w/her 4 and 3yo and she said they were scared--lions attacking a baby elephant, scary "predator" music, polar bears near drowning.....she did not have a good time.

jayali
04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I was just talking to a mom today who took her kindergartner to see it and she was completely horrified, so I think it really depends on your child. Based on her review we decided not to see it. DS can sometimes get spooked and we are not sure what will set him off so we are going to err on the side of caution.

npace19147
04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
DH and I saw it last week and we would not take DD1, who is almost 5. She is easily scared, and I think this would be beyond her comfort level.

fivi2
04-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Wow! Good to know. Thanks everyone!

brittone2
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Interesting to see this discussion.

DS is 5 and has never been to a movie. He's definitely a sensitive soul. We watched March of the Penguins at home and I had to fast forward through a few parts that were scary for him.

We thought this might be a movie we'd be cool with seeing as a family, since DS has never had the theatre experience. We were going to go the evening it was scheduled to open (Earth Day). At the last minute I read a CNN review that mentioned prey/predators, etc. and I discussed w/ DH...we weren't sure how DS would do.

Ultimately we chose to explain it to him and let him make a choice. We told him there would be animals hunting other animals, etc. similar to what he's seen in a few other nature shows, but that on a big screen it might feel even more intense. Just *talking* about it made him tear up, and on his own he decided he didn't want to go.

I think it would have been too much for him, especially since he's only seen a handful of movies in his lifetime overall, and *super* gentle, tame ones overall at that. He just isn't ready for that level of intensity. It would be too scary for him.

His "bad dreams" also seem to center pretty much exclusively on foxes and wolves for some reason??? and I believe I read there are some wolves in the movie. I'm not sure how that would have gone for him.

JElaineB
04-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Had a friend who went w/her 4 and 3yo and she said they were scared--lions attacking a baby elephant, scary "predator" music, polar bears near drowning.....she did not have a good time.

I would agree that the lions attacking the elephant was the scariest scene. Though they were attacking a full grown elephant, not a baby elephant.