PDA

View Full Version : Need to stock the fridge/pantry for guests

LarsMal
04-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Over the next few weeks I'll have several family members coming to help me with the kids and new baby. Between the food allergies and picky eaters (me included!) I don't keep a lot of "normal" staples around. For example- I don't drink coffee. I only drink bottled water and the occassional iced tea. With DH gone during the week I don't even buy OJ anymore. We have water, apple juice, skim milk, and soy milk to drink. That's it! I feel like I should have some soda options to offer guests.

My mom will definitely grocery shop while she's here, but I don't want her to have to do a full shopping trip.

Any suggestions for foods/drinks that I should have ready to go? (I already bought coffee!)

TIA!!

elephantmeg
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
I would have:
bread
eggs
luncheon meat
fruit (grapes/bananas/strawberries something like that)
maybe some frozen dinners if you don't have meals planned for while you are in the hospital

I honestly do not provide soda on a regular basis but have learned that when my parents come I must have: oatmeal, cranberry juice, bananas and white bread. Lol. If dad is coming to work I stock up on his pepsi/caf free pepsi cause he goes through them like crazy when he is hot and sweaty!

fivi2
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Sandwich stuff (bread, deli meat, cheese) is usually a good idea imo. I am a soda drinker, but it is hard to buy in advance, because many of us are loyal to our brands and it is hard to guess in advance what brand your guest will like. (I love Diet Dr. Pepper, but won't go near Diet Coke ;) )

Something for breakfast - cereal/oatmeal, milk, eggs. I figure once people get through their first breakfast and maybe lunch they can figure out how to go to the store for themselves. Especially since they are coming to help you - doesn't make sense to cause you more work. But if they get in late or something, it is nice to have the first breakfast or lunch available.

DebbieJ
04-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Seriously? I would send them to the store to get what they want for themselves!

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2009, 10:02 PM

Under normal circumstances I would be a good host and stock things too...but they are coming to help you after you have a new baby. Send them to the store. :)

I would get cereal (something generic and most likely to please like Cheerios), snacky foods like pretzels or crackers, something sweet, fruit, sandwich things, soup, maybe some frozen meal either individual sized or family sized.

Beth

egoldber
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM

:yeahthat:

I send my MIL to the grocery store (with my credit card) and tell her to buy whatever she wants.

LarsMal
04-27-2009, 10:12 PM
:yeahthat:

I send my MIL to the grocery store (with my credit card) and tell her to buy whatever she wants.

Oh, that's a good idea. I don't mind letting my mom pay for the groceries when she's here, but I don't want MIL to pay. I didn't think about sending her with my credit card. Thanks!

(Although I should let MIL pay- she sent us to the store with *her* list after we drove 14 hours to see them- with no offer of money!)

LarsMal
04-27-2009, 10:14 PM

I know- I should. And for others who come to visit, I know they aren't expecting me to play hostess to them. It's just in my nature. I come from a large Italian family of "feeders". I feel like I'm letting people down when I don't have snacks/drinks to offer them (even if I am recovering from surgery :) ). I probably just need to get over it!

JTsMom
04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd think in terms of meals.

Breakfast: Whatever the kids and you normally eat, plus some "normal" b'fast things- bread, butter, maybe some bagels, etc. you could even pick up an Enteman's coffee cake or something.

Lunch: Ditto the sandwich stuff suggestions from above, cheese, bread, soup, some type of nut butter, etc. Fast and easy.

Dinner: Maybe some basics like chicken breasts, ground beef, spaghetti and sauce, some easy frozen stuff, etc. Bagged salad, frozen vegs, some rolls, etc.

Then maybe some snacky stuff- pretzels, bagel chips, fruit, crackers, etc.

Milk, maybe juice, tea if someone drinks that, more coffee stuff (1/2 and 1/2, sugar, etc).

Do what you can, then leave the rest to them and don't give it a second thought. You're almost there!!!

smiles33
04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
OP: I totally understand your wanting to be prepared. I come from a Chinese family with a similar "code of hospitality" where you're supposed to have overflowing tables of food. :) Still, knowing my mom, even if I prepared a huge spread, she'd STILL want to go out and buy more so she could cook up a storm.

I suggest you get the basics and possibly cook a couple large meals ahead of time and freeze, so you could always defrost that if your family arrives right before a meal without enough time to shop and cook.

gobadgers
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
ITA that you are not going to need to feed family that is coming to help, but then again I understand where you're coming from too! If you want to have some things ready, a nice big frozen meal or two may work. Before DC#2 arrives in May, I think I'm going to try to make a big pan of lasagna and one of enchilada casserole to put in the freezer and heat up for an easy dinner in.

I like the ideas about sandwich supplies and easy breakfast (cereal, bread, fruit) too. Oh, and a few snackies - chips and salsa, or hummus and crackers can make any cranky, tired family a little happier. So can ice cream.

hellbennt
04-28-2009, 06:01 PM
eggs
cheese in various forms: sliced, in a 'block,' cheese sticks
bread in various forms: sliced, pita, tortillas, rolls, etc
rice
potatos
various pasta
boxes of macaroni & cheese
ground beef/turkey/chicken (for pasta, rice, tortillas)
beans (refried & otherwise for burritos, etc)
jars of tomato sauce
cans of tomato sauce
wine (LOL! was thinking of cooking wine)
onions
garlic