PDA

View Full Version : ISO lightweight stroller for someone with chronic pain

Globetrotter
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I am posting for a friend who has chronic shoulder pain and tendonitis in the wrists. She is concerned that she won't be able to hold her baby much and definitely needs to be careful when she chooses a stroller. I'm totally out of the loop nowadays, so I was wondering if there is a stroller like this:

lightweight
car seat attachment
full recline
single bar handle, or whatever it's called (NOT the type with two handles, so no maclarens)

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Baby Jogger City Mini?

MNmomtobe
04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Peg Perego Aria OH.
Weighs about 12 lbs, takes a car seat, single handle bar, and pretty sure it reclines fully enough for a newborn.

newg
04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
The combi's are pretty light, have full recline and attach to the carseat.

salsah
04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
i like both the bjcm and the aria for what you described. i would go with the aria because it is much lighter and the fold may be less problematic. the bj fold is easy but the bending/leaning and pulling (and you pretty much can only hold it by that fold handle) may be problematic for someone with shoulder and wrist issues. she will definitely need to try it out. the aria fold is very friendly not only in the sense that it is easy and also one-handed, but also because it folds up towards you. you don't have to move much or bend over, etc. i'm not a fan of combi's.

another factor to consider is the handle height and her stride. she may not be able to stretch her arms too far out in front or have other pushing/posture issues to figure out to ensure her comfort. she probably wants the height just right so that she can easily keep her wrist in a neutral position.

sorry, i'm typing in a hurry, i gotta go.

hth

lorinick
04-28-2009, 12:57 AM
I second the Baby Jogger City Mini. The Aria does't even hold a candle to the BJCM. The fold on the CM is the best part of the stroller unlike the Aria that at times sticks and doesn't open without a major struggle. The Mini is light, folds one handed and steers with one hand as well. I don't have one bad thing about the Mini. Fab stroller and some BRU stores are now carrying in store.

Globetrotter
04-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks. I took a look at the BJCM and PPA. The Combis seems to be compatible only with Combi carseats, if I'm not mistaken. Is it the same for the PP?

I had a PPA, actually. I liked it quite a bit. the BJCM seems to be at least six pounds heavier, when you account for the separate carseat attachment. Given her situation, the weight is going to be critical.

WatchingThemGrow
04-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Weight is imp., but turning, etc and life AFTER the carseat is too. Is she going to be able to try them out herself?

edurnemk
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Because of the pain in her wrists, I think maneuverability is just as important as weight. If the stroller is hard to push or turn, it will be painful for her. I haven't tried the Aria, but the Baby Joggers can be pushed with one finger.

What other features are important for her and what will she use the stroller for (i.e. the mall and car trips vs. outdoor walks)?

Globetrotter
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I suggested she should go try them out first before buying, because it's so hard to say what will work without doing that. This will probably be a car stroller, but I can confirm. That's why I'm thinking weight is critical, because she'll have to lift it out of the trunk.

swissair81
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
the ladies at letsgostrolling.com just posted on their blog how hard it is to deal with the baby jogger car seat attachment. they even said it is so difficult, they don't consider it fully car seat compatible. this isn't car seat compatible either, but I'm thinking it's better to have a stroller with an easy push. so my vote goes to the mountain buggy swift. maybe she should get one stroller and a snap n go- then she wouldn't be limiting her stroller choices to those that are car seat compatible.

MNmomtobe
04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
the ladies at letsgostrolling.com just posted on their blog how hard it is to deal with the baby jogger car seat attachment. they even said it is so difficult, they don't consider it fully car seat compatible. this isn't car seat compatible either, but I'm thinking it's better to have a stroller with an easy push. so my vote goes to the mountain buggy swift. maybe she should get one stroller and a snap n go- then she wouldn't be limiting her stroller choices to those that are car seat compatible.

This is an excellent idea to get a separate snap n go type thing and then a lightweight stroller.

Has your friend tried a 2 handled stroller? She may find that some are easier to steer than the one-bar strollers. I know you said no Maclarens, BUT... I had a Maclaren easy traveller that I used for my Graco Snugride. IT WAS AWESOME. Weighs about 10 lbs and takes up very little trunk space. I could steer it with one pinky. Could get that thing open and carseat in in just seconds.
Then I would go with a Maclaren Quest or Inglesina Swift. She could probably use the Quest and Swift from 3 or 6 months on.
Anyway, the Maclarens are known for their light-weight and their smooth as butter steering so I thought your friend might want to test them out.

Melbel
04-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I suffer from chronic back pain and just LOVE my BJCM. The fold and steering are wonderful and the weight is very manageable. I would definitely have her demo one IRL.

ETA: I was unable to lift the infant carrier seat (Keyfit 30) w/ baby in it without significantly straining my back. It was very heavy and awkward to lift. As such, I just transferred DD2 into our stroller. Considering your friend's physical limitations, she may also experience difficulties. Just something else to consider.

Globetrotter
04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
This is an excellent idea to get a separate snap n go type thing and then a lightweight stroller.

Has your friend tried a 2 handled stroller? She may find that some are easier to steer than the one-bar strollers. as butter steering so I thought your friend might want to test them out.

She says that the two bar ones hurt her wrists! I don't think she's tried the high end strollers, though, as far as I know.

Globetrotter
04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
I really appreciate all the responses - I knew you guys would come through for me!

Here's the scoop. She wants something to go for walks, but some car use also.

I'm thinking it has to accomodate a carseat when her dh is around (good point about her not being able to carry the carseat!) but have the option for her to transfer the baby. The BJCM might be an option if she doesn't have to lift it in and out of the trunk all the time.

I'll suggest the Maclarens, but she seemed to be against that style of handle. I've had a Quest, too, so I'm familiar with them. It's scary to think how many strollers I've had over the years, but now we are stroller free :boogie: