PDA

View Full Version : Q. about the 'Amazing Race' & swimsuits & bikini waxes...

Corie
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
How do the women on the 'Amazing Race' handle the challenges
involving swimsuits or running in underwear when their previous
bikini wax could have been almost 3 months ago?

Just curious...

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I honestly had the same thought!!! There are a lot of things I would do to prep for the race (learn to drive a stick, learn some key foreign language phrases, get in better shape) but I don't think I would have thought about that. :)

Beth

LarsMal
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
OMG- I was thinking the EXACT same thing last night!!!! I was watching thinking, "I don't know if I could do that!" (b/c I wouldn't be so "groomed"!) What if they don't go the waxing route? They only have so long at those pit stops. What if they shower and think, "Eh, I don't need to clean things up today." That would be me and then I'd get stuck doing something in my undies/bathing suit/leotard. I guess the lesson would be- if you're on the Race, be prepared at ALL TIMES!

;)

wellyes
04-27-2009, 10:34 PM
LOL.

I'm guessing it's like Survivor, where they are roughing it but are also given access to unlimited personal care items like contact lens fluid, tampons, etc.

Corie
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I guess the lesson would be- if you're on the Race, be prepared at ALL TIMES!

;)

I'd make my race partner (DH) wax my bikini area at each pit stop. :)

cono0507
04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
The actual filming is 30-40 days according to the CBS website, but still, you'd have some growth after a few weeks! I was wondering the same thing tonight when I was watching Sunday night's episode on Tivo.

DrSally
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I'd make my race partner (DH) wax my bikini area at each pit stop. :)

:hysterical:

smiles33
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I've been wondering about this since the 1/2 naked marathon in Russia! You think they "encourage" the women to groom during pit stops? I don't ever recall seeing so many swimsuit scenes in past races...

Corie
04-27-2009, 10:55 PM
I've been wondering about this since the 1/2 naked marathon in Russia!

When I saw the naked marathon episode, I was thinking,
would the entire country want to see me running in my 7 year old maternity
underwear? Hopefully (fingers crossed), I would have on a pair without
any holes.

lizajane
04-27-2009, 11:07 PM
When I saw the naked marathon episode, I was thinking,
would the entire country want to see me running in my 7 year old maternity
underwear? Hopefully (fingers crossed), I would have on a pair without
any holes.

wait... didn't we have a talkin' to with you about that 7 year old maternity underwear? didn't we start a collection of a fund or something to buy you some new underwear? i swear, if i hear one more word about 7 year old underwear, i am going out get some target giftcards to pop in the mail...

as to the question at hand, doesn't anyone SHAVE anymore??? i have never had a wax EVER and i am a swimmer. doesn't take but a moment to groom with a razor.

salsah
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
as to the question at hand, doesn't anyone SHAVE anymore??? i have never had a wax EVER and i am a swimmer. doesn't take but a moment to groom with a razor.

nope, i'm a swimmer too but will not let a razor near that area. i wish i could but I break out, get a rash, in grown hairs, and end up with a mess that looks much worse than just being hairy. actually, in addition to that mess, i will be hairy because i can't shave again until my skin recovers.

just out of curiosity, and I apologize if this is too personal (feel free to ignore my question), but do you use a razor for EVERYTHING down there? or just to clean up the sides? i'm afraid that i may hurt myself if i try to shave all the way back. that is one of the things i love about waxing -- everything, all the way to the back is clean and stays that way. i do leave a little bit in the front so i don't look pre-pubescent, but i like to get rid of the all the rest.

salsah
04-27-2009, 11:31 PM
i'm sure that the show provides time and resources for waxing (maybe they have someone on staff who travels with them).

smiles33
04-27-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess to clarify my surprise--unless I PLAN on going swimming or being in a swimsuit, I personally don't groom down there on a regular basis. If I were on AR before this season, I would have assumed I would not need to do that unless warned.... That's why I'd be so embarrassed to be in a high-cut swimsuit or even just running in my underwear! I wonder if they thought about warning the women, as that could have been a very disturbing sight. Still, that one flight attendant wore a thong so maybe they didn't warn them!

Well, if I get picked for a future season, you can bet I'll be perfectly groomed at all times!

elektra
04-28-2009, 12:53 AM
will not let a razor near that area. i wish i could but I break out, get a rash, in grown hairs, and end up with a mess that looks much worse than just being hairy. actually, in addition to that mess, i will be hairy because i can't shave again until my skin recovers.

:yeahthat:

citymama
04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
Call me naive, but I don't even know what a bikini wax constitutes. Sides? The whole shebang? Brazilian bikini sized wax?

And speaking of naive, I don't even know what this show is, but I was intrigued by the title of the post! Temporarily taking my head out of the sand to post on these boards, will return now...

maestramommy
04-28-2009, 07:16 AM

I'm not a waxer either, but I've never had a good experience with a razor either. You don't get a clean look, chronic itching for weeks after, ingrown hairs, etc. Yuck all around.

trales
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I wax, but still get so many ingrown hairs.

How can I avoid this?

MartiesMom2B
04-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm not a waxer either, but I've never had a good experience with a razor either. You don't get a clean look, chronic itching for weeks after, ingrown hairs, etc. Yuck all around.

The itching is the worse. It's embarrassing, like you have to announce, "No I don't have crabs, I just shaved." I prefer waxing.

BargainMomforLuke
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
wait... didn't we have a talkin' to with you about that 7 year old maternity underwear? didn't we start a collection of a fund or something to buy you some new underwear? i swear, if i hear one more word about 7 year old underwear, i am going out get some target giftcards to pop in the mail...

Oh, please do that! Corie said I could have her hand-me-down maternity panties when she was done with them. If she is able to get some new ones, I'll get them a little sooner than expected in time for pregnancy #3.

ETA: Oh, & her husband just called & he would prefer a VS gift card.

Lovingliv
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Oh, please do that! Corie said I could have her hand-me-down maternity panties when she was done with them. If she is able to get some new ones, I'll get them a little sooner than expected in time for pregnancy #3.

ETA: Oh, & her husband just called & he would prefer a VS gift card.

Yeah...we are in a recession!!!! Kudos to Corie for not wasting any wear!!!!

Snow mom
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Still, that one flight attendant wore a thong so maybe they didn't warn them!

I'm pretty sure they had to let one of the sisters change into undies because she wasn't wearing anything. My guess is the type of people who wear thongs on a regular basis are in the habit of keeping themselves well groomed. Also, there are certainly things we don't see as viewers. A cute girl running in a blurred thong= good for ratings, someone who needs a good grooming= bad for ratings.

MelissaTC
04-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah...we are in a recession!!!! Kudos to Corie for not wasting any wear!!!!

I agree. Rock on in your undies Corie!!

salsah
04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Call me naive, but I don't even know what a bikini wax constitutes. Sides? The whole shebang? Brazilian bikini sized wax?

it can be whatever you want it to be. standard is just cleaning up the sides. a full is everything, all the way to the back. you can leave a little in front if you want and you can choose the amount/size and the shape. rectangle, square, triangle, heart, etc.

salsah
04-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I wax, but still get so many ingrown hairs.

How can I avoid this?

exfoliate regularly.

salsah
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
The itching is the worse. It's embarrassing, like you have to announce, "No I don't have crabs, I just shaved." I prefer waxing.

yes! how could i forget about the itching?

i have the same problem with my underarms if i try to shave them daily. i can only shave them 1-2 per week.

salsah
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
A cute girl running in a blurred thong= good for ratings, someone who needs a good grooming= bad for ratings.

that is why i wouldn't be surprised if they have someone travel with the them to take care of waxing and other things like that. it is all about what the viewers want to see.

Jo..
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey Corie, I hate to throw away perfectly decent clothing too.

If you ever buy new underwear, you can always re-purpose the old ones for a few more years of useful life. This is what I do with mine.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f254/joellenh/underwear-1.jpg

DrSally
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I say if you ever go on the Amazing Race, to make sure you have nice undergarmets before you go! Seriously, there's a lot of things I would do for the race, running around in my underwear on TV is not one of them! Talk about humiliation! (for me that is)

lizajane
04-28-2009, 04:43 PM
nope, i'm a swimmer too but will not let a razor near that area. i wish i could but I break out, get a rash, in grown hairs, and end up with a mess that looks much worse than just being hairy. actually, in addition to that mess, i will be hairy because i can't shave again until my skin recovers.

just out of curiosity, and I apologize if this is too personal (feel free to ignore my question), but do you use a razor for EVERYTHING down there? or just to clean up the sides? i'm afraid that i may hurt myself if i try to shave all the way back. that is one of the things i love about waxing -- everything, all the way to the back is clean and stays that way. i do leave a little bit in the front so i don't look pre-pubescent, but i like to get rid of the all the rest.

yes, me and my cheap self... i use a razor to clean up the "Area." i do not shave anything considered "heiny" or it itches. i do shave the part that shows in a bathing suit and the part that does not show in a bathing suit. but i do not shave it ALL off! i do not get nicks. i only get itches and ingrowns when i need to change the razor blade.

here is my issue with waxing, other than the pain and the cost- if you wax- how long do you get hair free before you have to wax again? and when you need to wax again, can't you see all sorts of short hairs? i go to the pool EVERY day in the summer. there is no "waiting period" when i can let it grow enough for waxing while i am not at the pool. so how does it all work? i am not opposed to trying it. i just have never understood what you do in the few days where it is long enough to see but not long enough to wax.

AJP
04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Hahaha...i always wondered the same thing about this show. I would be a scary contestant on Survivor if I didn't see a razor or wax for that long!!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
here is my issue with waxing, other than the pain and the cost- if you wax- how long do you get hair free before you have to wax again? and when you need to wax again, can't you see all sorts of short hairs? i go to the pool EVERY day in the summer. there is no "waiting period" when i can let it grow enough for waxing while i am not at the pool. so how does it all work? i am not opposed to trying it. i just have never understood what you do in the few days where it is long enough to see but not long enough to wax.

A big :yeahthat:!! I have wanted to know this. Doesn't the hair have to be a certain length to get waxed? I am interested in pursuing this option but I don't get the logistics.

Beth