PDA

View Full Version : Our neighbors/friends are going to Mexico...

newmomto1
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
We have neighbors we are friends with (whose kids go to school with our kids) who are going to Mexico in a few days.
It's for a vacation they have had planned for awhile.
When the swine flu thing first came about I talked to them about it.
More along the lines of "aren't you worried about getting sick???" yada yada...
They are pretty laid back & just feel like you "can't worry about "everything".
Just talked to them again today & they are still planning to go.
At this point...for selfish reasons...I don't want them to!
I didn't say anything (they think am a "worrier" anyway!
But, I really don't want them bringing that flu back here to our neighborhood & school!
I know chances are they will go & everything will be fine & they'll be like "we told you so!".
But, honestly, I feel concerned!
If it were me I would have SO CANCELED MY TRIP by now!
Am I over reacting??????

Tondi G
04-27-2009, 11:05 PM
I would have cancelled my trip! We were considering a mexican riviera cruise this summer and we have decided we'll find somewhere else to go!

Where in Mexico are they headed?

happymomma
04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
No, I don't think you are overreacting. I think I would be so like that. I would have cancelled my vacation but I think some people just aren't as concerned about these things. It would freak me out a bit though b/c of the "what ifs".

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Naw, I don't think you're overreacting- but I tend to be the worrier/paranoid type too. I'd have canceled.

Yeah, I would not want members of my neighborhood or their kids bringing this stuff to school. :36:

Have you ever thought about homeschooling? :wink2:

newmomto1
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, in the beginning I was worried about them. But now I am like....don't bring that back here & get us sick! I know that sounds bad...but this is how it's spreading!

DrSally
04-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I just saw on the news that the US govt is advising against all "nonessential" travel to Mexico. And, they suspect a trip to Cancun as the source of the outbreak in that school in NYC.

ETA: typo

gatorsmom
04-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I just saw on the news that the US govt is advising against all "noessential" travel to Mexico. And, they suspect a trip to Cancun as the source of the outbreak in that school in NYC.

That little piece of info would be enough for me to cancel. Seriously, how much fun could you have if you were constantly worried that a waiter might have sneezed in your food? Ick, and getting sick in a hotel room then having to pack and fly back sick would really blow (pun intended).

newmomto1
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I just saw on the news that the US govt is advising against all "noessential" travel to Mexico. And, they suspect a trip to Cancun as the source of the outbreak in that school in NYC.

I KNOW!!!!
I am hoping by tomorrow they have changed their minds!

Tondi G
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Maybe you should send them links to some articles

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

WHO spokesman Peter Cordingley singled out air travel as an easy way the virus could spread, noting that the WHO estimates that up to 500,000 people are on planes at any time.

niccig
04-27-2009, 11:37 PM
WHO spokesman Peter Cordingley singled out air travel as an easy way the virus could spread, noting that the WHO estimates that up to 500,000 people are on planes at any time.

I worried about being on a plane from LAX to Australia. Who knows if someone hasn't come from Mexico and then connects on to the QANTAS flight. I want Maxwell Smart's Cone of Silence! Barring that, I will bathe us in purell, drink lots of airbonne, suck on zinc loanges and squirt saline up our noses..don't know how I'm going to get DS to do all of this...

goldenpig
04-28-2009, 01:41 AM
We were supposed to go to Cozumel in June, but it looks like we may have to find an alternate destination. Thank goodness we bought trip insurance!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
04-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Bikinis and face masks are a fashion faux pas anyway....

mommylamb
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
One of my coworkers is in Cancun now. She left Saturday morning, so I don't think she even would have gotten a chance to see press reports before she left. But seriously, I think she should have to take a couple sick days after she gets back just to make sure she doesn't have any symptoms before coming in here. If she doesn't, I think I'm going to take the beginning of next week off until she's past the 48 hr incubation period just in case. Am I crazy?

LMPC
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I just canceled my trip to NYC with DD (6 mos). Not so much because of the NYC part but the plane part. I say just stay away from your neighbors for 48 hours -- people are going to do what they are comfortable with. I wouldn't be able to relax knowing that I could get sick on vacation...but that's just me.

TraciG
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
they're not to smart if they go !!

I would feel the same way you do !

shawnandangel
04-28-2009, 10:12 AM
One of my coworkers is in Cancun now. She left Saturday morning, so I don't think she even would have gotten a chance to see press reports before she left. But seriously, I think she should have to take a couple sick days after she gets back just to make sure she doesn't have any symptoms before coming in here. If she doesn't, I think I'm going to take the beginning of next week off until she's past the 48 hr incubation period just in case. Am I crazy?

No, you're not crazy. You need to do everything in your power to protect yourself and your family from a potentially harmful illness. Instead of crazy, I would call you smart.

DietCokeLover
04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
You certainly can't make your neighbors do anything. So, I would just stay away from them for a few days after they return and start taking Zicam before they get home too.

After a week or so, talk to them over the fence and ask them how their trip went and tell them you are happy that they were not infected.

jammytoast
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
I personally thing that the media is really hyping this one up. Did you realize that this past years, there were over 20,000 deaths* from the *normal* flu? (and that's not cases..that's deaths...over 350,000 people HAD the flu!)

I wouldn't travel to Mexico with a newborn or if pregnant right now, but then again, I'd be leery of traveling during the winter months as well. Wash hands, cover your mouth, and just be conscious of good hygiene.

*ref: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/07/health/main535605.shtml

Laurel
04-28-2009, 11:42 AM
At least the incubation period is only 48 hours- you can always avoid them until you know. You could even ask (or have the school ask) that they keep DC out of school for a few days when they return.

LBW
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Unless I had travel insurance, I'd still go on my planned vacation. I'd just be extra careful about hygiene.

jenmcadams
04-28-2009, 11:44 AM
At least the incubation period is only 48 hours- you can always avoid them until you know. You could even ask (or have the school ask) that they keep DC out of school for a few days when they return.

Is that right? My friend who just returned from 8 days in Puerto Vallarta had to make an (unrelated) visit to the urgent care yesterday and the doctor there told her the incubation period was 10 days. If you read the 48 hours somewhere, would you mind posting it. I'd love to pass that info along to my friend if that's the case

Twoboos
04-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I personally thing that the media is really hyping this one up. Did you realize that this past years, there were over 20,000 deaths* from the *normal* flu? (and that's not cases..that's deaths...over 350,000 people HAD the flu!)

I think the concern in Mexico is the people getting sick/dying are in the age group that is not usually considered "high risk" (20-40). This article mentions the increase in flu deaths possibly being attributed to the increasing elderly population, which is typically considered high risk for the flu.

So, I do think for the normal person, there should be a bit of concern. not stockpiling food concern, but increased awareness. OP, I would definitely avoid the neighbors for a few days when they return!!

Laurel
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Is that right? My friend who just returned from 8 days in Puerto Vallarta had to make an (unrelated) visit to the urgent care yesterday and the doctor there told her the incubation period was 10 days. If you read the 48 hours somewhere, would you mind posting it. I'd love to pass that info along to my friend if that's the case

48 hours is what has been repeated over and over in the mainstream media- if you google "swine flu incubation" you will find several sources. The virus can be contagious for up to 10 days- so maybe that is where the confusion is?

DrSally
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, DH has to travel routinely for work. I've always worried about him bringing bedbugs home in his suitcase (they're in nice hotels too), but now I'm worried about swine flu, since DS seems to catch everything he comes into contact with these days.

mommylamb
04-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately, DH has to travel routinely for work. I've always worried about him bringing bedbugs home in his suitcase (they're in nice hotels too), but now I'm worried about swine flu, since DS seems to catch everything he comes into contact with these days.

Whenever I travel for work (or personal for that matter) I always check under the mattress before I put anything of mine on top of the bed for this reason. My sister got bed bugs from a very fancy hotel in Boston a few years back. Total infestation in her house. It was disgusting.

maydaymommy
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
My parents have a destination wedding to attend at the end of May. I know that as of yesterday, the airlines were refunding tickets to Mexico through May 4th. I can understand if your friends are leaving after that time, if "officials" are taking a wait & see attitude. I think my parents are just going to wait a few weeks and see what's going on then. I would definitely keep us & DS away from them when they return though.

Sounds like a good idea to avoid your neighbors when they get back. They would have to understand, right?

DrSally
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Whenever I travel for work (or personal for that matter) I always check under the mattress before I put anything of mine on top of the bed for this reason. My sister got bed bugs from a very fancy hotel in Boston a few years back. Total infestation in her house. It was disgusting.

That's my worst nightmare. DH is so not a worrier, but I got him to check the boxspring for black spots every time. And, I told him to put the suitcase up on the luggage rack.

gatorsmom
04-28-2009, 01:26 PM

This is my nightmare as well. DH travels very often and doesn't give any thought to this kind of stuff. Growing up in Houston, Texas, he thinks that spraying nasty chemicals around the house should just be part of the regular housekeeping routine. :6: I remind him to check the mattresses each time he goes somewhere and when I ask later I'm sure he's just giving me lip service. But, he'd be the first person to freak out if he found a bedbug on him.

BabyMine
04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't travel to Mexico with a newborn or if pregnant right now, but then again, I'd be leery of traveling during the winter months as well. Wash hands, cover your mouth, and just be conscious of good hygiene.

:yeahthat:

Asianmommy
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm a worrier, too. If it were me, I wouldn't go.