PDA

View Full Version : Preventing sunburn/suntans while at Disney

SomeoneLikeYou
04-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Okay, I'm not actually going to Disney but this HAS to be a huge issue when one *is* going so this is the best place to ask this imo. Assuming no one wants thier kiddo to get a burn and will thus be using sunblock and maybe even a sun hat.............how do you prevent even a TAN??? I have this issue with The Bug getting a tanline. So far so good but I'll be out in the sun every weekend pretty much this summer so I need tips.

Does reapplying block at ridiculously short intervals (ie. every hour) do it? Is it possible to avoid?

new_mommy25
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I think the only way to avoid a tan is to cover up and reapply like you said. This means long sleeve shirts, hats, sunglasses etc. and then sunblock on exposed area. I live in Hawaii but wear long sleeve shirts a lot because I don't like the sun all over me.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanx, NM25 :) I considered doing that today and I caved. And it was only 80 :( I slathered her in 55 and kept the shade on her at all times (I have a stroller with a very complete sun shade). From her knees down WERE exposed though so I reapplied one more time there on my 2 hr walk. I HOPE she's tanless!! lol I'll be better able to tell tomorow. It was just soooooooo hot I couldn't bare to put leggins on her :(

elektra
04-28-2009, 07:43 PM
A girl I played softball with was also a sports model so she had to be in bathing suits and skimpy outfits for most of her modeling stuff. She was super anal about not getting tan lines on the softball field. She would basically wear long sleeves and long socks and shorts with kneepads too. So sunblock alone did not cut it. She covered up with clothes.
But it was for her job, KWIM? So maybe you don't have to go completely FLDS to avoid the sun, ya?

hillview
04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Last summer we kept DS #1 in ls rashguard and long shorts and applied sunscreen every 2-3 hrs. He had tan lines on is feet /sandal area.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2009, 09:00 PM
When we did Disneyland (I know, not quite the same but pretty close) we just did the Banana Boat Kids spf 50 in the morning and that was it. No sun was gotten that day. :) eta- we had the same success w/ CA Baby.

Beth

MontrealMum
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Not Disney, but we do spend a lot of time outdoors and on the water in the summer. We just put DS in rashguard, hat, and SPF 30 CA Baby sunscreen. We also use it on his face for skiing in the winter, and on exposed parts in the stroller. He has yet to get any sort of tan or burn.

SomeoneLikeYou
04-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Not Disney, but we do spend a lot of time outdoors and on the water in the summer. We just put DS in rashguard, hat, and SPF 30 CA Baby sunscreen. We also use it on his face for skiing in the winter, and on exposed parts in the stroller. He has yet to get any sort of tan or burn.

*That* is good to know!! I use 55 so far and she's been tan free so far so I am happy to hear that may actually be enough!! I'm still going to reapply I think!! I sound neurotic, don't I?? lol

MontrealMum
04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Not neurotic at all!!! DS is very fair (as am I) and both my parents have had bouts with melanoma, which luckily so far have not turned into something more severe. I lather him up and always make him wear a hat, and I reapply as well throughout the day. It was a struggle last year, but he's used to it now so he actually sits still while I put the lotion on and rub it in, and he's willing to keep a hat on too.

We also have a UV protective bugscreen for our stroller and bike carrier which helps lessen the stress. I think you just bought a BJ? I'm pretty sure they have a UV screen as well, you might want to invest if you'll be out lots, or are in a buggy area. It covers the whole darn stroller which is great!

AddiesMom
04-29-2009, 06:00 AM
I have a skin allergy that I was diagnosed with when I was 31 and only certain sunscreens help me. Basically I loose tolerance to UV rays over the winter and when I start to go out in the sun in the spring I get a terrible rash on my arms and legs. I SWEAR by Neutrogena with Helioplex (must have the Helioplex logo). This skin allergy practically destroyed my honeymoon and a trip to Prague, and since I have discovered Helioplex I have had no rashes. We went on a cruise in November and I was 100% fine Cool Mist spray and I am completely fine. This year they came out with a Kids and Baby line, I haven't tried them on DD yet but if they are anything like the adult line, I am sold!

AngelaS
04-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Last time we went to Disney, I reapplied sunscreen every time we were stuck waiting in a line. We came home as white as when we left. :)

SomeoneLikeYou
04-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Last time we went to Disney, I reapplied sunscreen every time we were stuck waiting in a line. We came home as white as when we left. :)

Wow!! I am really feeling better now that I can win this "war"!! Her skin is just so silky soft and baby-perfect and I get sad thinking of her having her first tan :( I probably can't avoid it forever but our family is big on the sunblock so it will end up being the norm around here anyway.

Good to know about that helioplex, pp!!