PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean infant DC's hands?

Nechums
04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
In the wake of the swine flu scare, I've become very concerned about maintaining a germ-free DS. But I'm not sure how to accomplish this. In the past, I've always just used baby wipes to clean his hands, but do those actually kill germs? What do you use to get rid of germs on your DC's hands?

LMPC
04-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Once a month, I take DD to a nursing home where I used to work. I am vigilant about her not putting her hands in her mouth while we are there and before we leave I wash her hands with soap and water (as I do my own). While we are at home I don't worry about it. some germs are beneficial for her.

Ceepa
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Just wash baby's hands at the sink with soap and water as you would your own.

When you're away from a sink use a wipe or a wet cloth.

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Just wash baby's hands at the sink with soap and water as you would your own.

When you're away from a sink use a wipe or a wet cloth.

:yeahthat: I tend to just do a wet paper towel or soap and water paper towel.

I am not a germ worrier though. I do wipe off shopping carts before using them. The places we play they pull toys out of rotation to clean them.

Beth

Piglet
04-28-2009, 10:58 AM
At that age, I didn't worry much unless the baby was really dirty. It only gets worse as they get older, LOL. At 7 months, a little soap and water did the trick. Some dirt is good for the immune system.

newg
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
I've been using a wipe to clean on dd's hands mostly. If she's been petting the dogs or touching some yucky stuff outside I wash her hands with soap and water. Sometimes I'll do some purell and then wipe off with a baby wipe....
I'm worried about the swine flu too......I'm trying to make sure when we come home from being somewhere I (or dh) wash hands and dd I just try to make sure she doesn't touch anything beyond her stroller.

jenny
04-28-2009, 01:16 PM
DH and I just talked about this last night. We are going to wash DD's hands with soap and water after she comes in from outside. The baby wipes that we use don't contain alcohol, and I think most baby wipes don't contain alcohol...but alcohol is the thing that kills germs, no? So wiping her hands isn't really doing anything in terms of getting rid of germs, I think?

srhs
04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't do it nearly as often as I should, but I've found wetting a washcloth is convenient. I put a little soap with water on one edge and just water on the other. Wipe with soap side, then water. I guess I don't know how effective it is, but I can't imagine wedging/dangling DS between the counter and me like I would with an older kid.