PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything you know about school grants...

kayte
04-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I just found out today that DD's school is in financial trouble because there are several parents who have fallen on hard times and having trouble making tuition payments.

Does anyone know about where to start to research grants for independent private schools? To be used for scholarships or overhead expenses... Any good websites to get me started searching for grants or learning how they work? Any tips on substantial school fund-raising-- beyond gift wrap and popcorn?

kijip
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
What sort of school is it? Is it religious? Some foundations only give to religious groups though most do not. Oftentimes libraries offer free access to various foundation search tools- call yours and ask. Local, private foundations (those with money from individuals or a single family) are the ones that would be most likely to fund a local private school.

Most national corporate foundations exclude private schools from the applicant pool. Small businesses with a connection to the school are the most likely source of money from any business or industry source (ie Maya's mom and dad own a timber mill or Joe's dad is an architect with a large local firm.)

However the grant process is not best for emergency funds and has some major lead time. While working on grants, I would also be working on asking people for money. Development vs. fund raising (there is a difference!). You are right to want to skip the bake sales etc. For big money needed, rummage sales etc are not going to cut it nor do they establish a regular pattern of donations at the school.

Really a private school's best pool of potential money is the people already impacted by the work of the school.

Parents of students
Board members/trustees of the school
Alumni
Grandparents and relatives of students

I would avoid high energy, high cost events and actually start by making a list of people you think would be inclined to give to the school if asked. This is one idea of what I would do: Invite all potential donors them on a tour (have very little food, just wine and things no one needs a fork for). If they are already familiar with the inner workings of the school, invite them to see student work. Don't invite by email or flyer...call every one and invite them. Record their interest level when you call them. If they can't come to the event, ask them if they would be able to fill out a survey (either online or on paper, 100 responses on Survey Monkey are free). Follow up with a mail invitation (cheaply produced) or an email reminder to those expressing an interest in coming. At the event have some students along to show things about what the school is currently doing. Get people talking about the good things the school does. Consider not asking at the event and following up and asking people privately after the event. Record their responses collect the checks. All donors get a very personal, hand written note afterwards- NO FORM LETTERS. Thank people that say no to giving and record their responses, ask them for advice on possible other money raising ideas. For those that did not come and opted to to do survey, ask them their interest in giving and ask them to list ideas of where the school could raise money from. Use this information as a springboard for your next event. While it sounds like a long process and it is detailed hands on work, it works and it brings in more than selling stuff. it can be done faster than one might expect.

Contrary to what people think, Americans give charitably through every recession and the number of those contributing has not fallen (though average gift size has).

Try reading through "Fundraising realities Every Board Member Must Face" for ideas. Very fast read.

If you want other fund development book ideas, PM me and I will try and pull together a list of my favorites/the ones that helped me the most.

vonfirmath
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
My friend is a teacher at a Autism school that is closing May 15th due to lack of funds. They've tried everything and just can't make the numbers work.