PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Specter switched parties

mommylamb
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Must say, I didn't see this one coming... I know Steele had said he might support (funding-wise) primary challengers to the 3 Rs that voted for the stimulus, but I still didn't think Specter would decide to become a Democrat. Wow. Not that I think it will change much in the way he votes because the guy is a true independent, other than of course that all important vote for Senate leader. As a Democrat, I've always really respected him for his convictions even when I didn't agree. Once Franken gets seated (assuming he gets through these last few court challenges), that makes 60.

brittone2
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow!!! I grew up in PA and have met Specter a few times ( I have some pics of me with him when I was in girlscouts LOL). I didn't see this coming either!

Thanks for sharing.

cvanbrunt
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Holy guacamole! Wow! That surprises me. I would have expected a Lieberman-type move to the Independent column, but a Democrat? As a moderate independent (how's that for non-committal), I have to think about whether that filibuster proof majority is scary or not.

cvanbrunt
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Holy guacamole! Wow! That surprises me. I would have expected a Lieberman-type move to the Independent column, but a Democrat? As a moderate independent (how's that for non-committal), I have to think about whether that filibuster proof majority is scary or not.

mommy111
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't really think this is really a filibuster proof majority. Specter will vote for what he believes in and not along party lines, I would think.

mommylamb
04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

On a personal level, I consider myself a relatively liberal dem, but I like having lots of moderates from both parties in Congress because I think they have the most level heads and are the least likely to get swept away by partisanship that just isn't helpful (even if I myself can get swept away at times... I want the folks up there to do a better job than I would). On the one hand, I'm happy that he switched parties, but on the other, I like having moderate republicans in the Senate and I can see how some would consider this a loss. However, on the filibuster issue, I don't think whether Specter has an R or a D after his name will influence his votes for the most part, so it's not like he's really a reliable 60th vote anyway. I agree though, I would have been less surprised if he had become an independent caucusing with the dems.

cvanbrunt
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't really think this is really a filibuster proof majority. Specter will vote for what he believes in and not along party lines, I would think.

Good point.

brittone2
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Just watched a bit of his press conference. It sounds like his polling in PA was bleak if he ran as a Republican or Independent. Interesting times for the GOP in PA.

citymama
04-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Just watched a bit of his press conference. It sounds like his polling in PA was bleak if he ran as a Republican or Independent. Interesting times for the GOP in PA.

Recall very moderate R Lincoln Chaffee losing in RI in 2006 in an anti-Bush wave. I think Specter's polls probably indicated a similar result in 2010 if he stayed R. I think his role on the judiciary committee alone would justify his switch (his role has been hugely important), but I would hope it's done on principle and not just convenience. Anyway, here's to almost 60.

Ceepa
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Anyway, here's to almost 60.

And then what? Democrats already have the White House and control of both Houses of Congress. So a supermajority would gain what effectively?

larig
04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Of course the Republicans will have a say. The Republicans in the Senate will have the same say as all members do when a bill/resolutions/nomination comes before the entire body. Now bills/resolutions/nominations (assuming the 60 people who caucus Dem all agree) will get an up or down vote, because 60 votes is all it takes for cloture.

wellyes
04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not surprised, moderate republicans seem so unwelcome in the current GOP.

citymama
04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
And then what? Democrats already have the White House and control of both Houses of Congress. So a supermajority would gain what effectively?

A filibuster-proof majority. Significant in terms of moving health care reform, environmental protections, action on climate change and SC nominations, among other things. Although Specter (and others) may not always vote with the rest of the D's...which should make this all quite interesting.

kijip
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm not surprised, moderate republicans seem so unwelcome in the current GOP.

This is very wise. The moderates and middle of the road voters that swing the election right now are going Democratic and looking at it all it is not because the Democrats are being all that together and compelling, it's because the GOP is not making room for them in the tent.

Add in PA's changing demographics and politcal landscape and Specter making the change makes a heck of a lot of sense.

I think he is a strong enough guy to vote his mind and not party on anything.

ThreeofUs
04-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Yeah, but the very possibility is mind-boggling.

mommylamb
04-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I still think they'll have a hard time reaching cloture. Specter will vote how Specter will vote regardless of party and so will many of the other moderate dems. It's not like you can count on Ben Nelson consistently either.

The fact is, the dems have a large majority because they have become the big tent party. But they are the big tent party, so they will not always have consensus, and probably won't. Big items like climate change and healthcare will be hard to do, though the Budget that just came out of conference has reconciliation protection for health care (even if that's not the preferred strategy), so they only need a simple majority there anyway. And, I don't think there is any way in Hell they would get close to 60 votes on cap and trade anyway. They would probably have a hard enough time getting 50.

citymama
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Interesting Op-Ed in the NYT today from Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe entitled "We Didn't Have to Lose Arlen Specte (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/opinion/29snowe.html?em)r" - lamenting the increasingly right-wing turn of the Republican party and the demise of its big-tent politics.